Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What's your favorite spark plug? Heat ranges, etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-nick  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: What's your favorite spark plug? Heat ranges, etc. Reply with quote

I don't mean which 9-electrode-triple-iridium-super-duper etc...

Looking at the Haynes, the US turbo uses a WR7DS, the RoW cars use W3DP, and the na's use WR6DS -for Bosch plugs.

Now then-
W = the electrode gap
R = resistor
3/6/7/etc = heat range (lower = colder)
D = plug dimensions
S/P = silver / platinum

I'm wondering a few things from this:

1) Why is the RoW plug 4! heat ranges colder than the US 931? The tuner rule of thumb is something like drop down 1 heat range for every 50hp increase. On top of this, even the na plug is colder than the US 931, this makes absolutely no sense at all...

2) Why doesn't the RoW plug need a resistor? Don't you guys listen to the radio?

3) Why is the RoW plug platinum? SilverSilver is a better conductor than platinum, although platinum lasts longer. I can't imagine why Porsche would choose one for US and another for RoW.

I have heard stories that Porsche used to use unnecessarily cold spark plugs and have only come around within the past 10 years. The W3 seems rediculous. The online shops list the WR6 plugs for both the turbo and na - but I have no idea where they get their info from. Also, the regular "super" copper-core plugs (WR6DC) are considerably cheaper, does anyone use them over the silvers?

-nick
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I'm running WR6DP, though I don't have a real explanation other than it's what the German mechanic put in when he rebuilt the head "that last time". Platinum does hold up to heat much better than the other metals used in plugs, and I've always understood that platinum plugs had a longer service life because of this. Not being a chemist or metallurgist I don't know if the slight difference in conductivity is really a factor.

But... the lower the number, the hotter the plug ( http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/partnumberkey.pdf )

This question, or a similar one, came up on the Board about a year ago. If I recall, an explanation was offered up that said the fuel composition had something to do with it. Remember, ROW cars were built to use leaded fuel, and the octane ratings are figured differently as well.

I know that none of this is a definitive answer, but it's my $0.02.
-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I picked up a set of WR6DC copper core plugs to try out ($1.38 versus $5 for platinum). I know they won't last as long, and I'm not sure if the better conduction properties of copper really make any difference. We'll see how they go.

The RoW heat range could certainly be from the fuels available at the time. Sounds as plausible as anything.

PS- NGK's are rated as lower # = hotter. Bosch are opposite, lower # = colder. It's nice how the companies get together to make things more confusing

-nick
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the NGK iridiums for the 931, not sure what the heat range I went with was
numbbers  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a Bosch service rep a while back, when I was having a problem, and he recommended the WR6DP. He said that regardless of what the owners manual says, the WR6DP is the plug that Bosch recommends for US driving conditions. The silver plug was originally recommended by the factory because the Platinium plug was not available in the US when the factory specs where developed.

I have run both the WR6DP, and the WR7DP over the years, with no apparent differences in performance. But, neither of them seem to last very long. I presently have a set of Champion 3415 Platinium plugs installed based on the recommendation of someone on this board. I have been running them for a few months, and am very happy with the performance. I seem to have better accelleration. I will let you know on the durability.

Has anybody tried indexing their plugs?
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I indexed the plugs a couple of years back on my NA track car and I noticed a change.
Then I forgot about them on the next change.

I will do it again and for the money a good idea. cheap
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
numbbers  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get the indexing washers?
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Platinum has a much higher melting point than either silver or copper and is about the best electrical conductor out there.Depleted iridium is close as far as conductivity is concered but is much cheaper than platinum.(Although it is still more expensive than copper and mildly radioactive.We use iridium 192 as a live Gamma source for x-raying off-site industrial components in pulp mills.Nasty stuff.You should hear the Geiger go as the source goes from "shielded" to "exposed".All of the smokers in the field like to think of it as preventitive radiation therapy.)
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

numbbers wrote:
Where do you get the indexing washers?

Happy New Year!!!

Just a thought. Won't indexing the plugs cause the depth the electrode is in the head to be not consistant? I mean indexing washers come in varying thickness to compensate for direction, right?

So won't some plugs end up more in or more out?

Sprint.
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's how they work. I think the guys who go to the extreme by indexing their plugs feel the advantage of a "directed" spark outweighs any disadvantage of the electrode being slightly recessed. The max that they could possibly be "off" is whatever the pitch of the threads are (1.25mm, or 0.05")
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hot rod shop sells them about $12 for set of washers, maybe 12 or more.
I noticed a hp gain although not much. You have to mark the direction of the gapped tip and try to point it toward the incoming gas. You will find that it takes a couple of times threading the plug on and off till you get it right.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
john h  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that NGK B8EVS plugs seem to work best in my 931. I've tried Champion but they a load of crap in NZ - took me 16 plugs to get one set that didn't break down under load.
The Bosch stuff is OK but really expensive comapred to NGK and didin't last any longer.

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: