Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fuel return pipe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chardorcher  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Fuel return pipe. Reply with quote

Im fitting a weber set on my 924 and have obviously disconnected the fuel pipes coming from the rear. I have some questions. There is a pipe which is the fuel return pipe, can I just eliminate this by plugging it properly, I think no fuel is supposed to come thru this pipe . Secondly I am going to disconnect the factory pump and fit a weber pump lower pressure type,, can this be installed instead of the existing pump or shall I by pass what seem to be filters near the pump and let the new pump send fuel directly to the carbs. I also have just changed the fuel filter in the engine bay. Can I use this as a fuel filter or will it in any way disturb the fuel pressure going to the carbs having a lower pressure type pump pumping fuel into it.

Thanks guys.
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can safely plug the fuel return line.
The stuff near the original fuel pump are not filters, they are fuel accumulators.
Basically a recipient with a check valve. I would bypass those.
Since you're changing everything anyway..you might as well change the fuel filter as well.
Its probably ok to use the old one with carbs but maybe the pump you will use is super weak and will struggle to pump trough the fuel filter.

I still think this is the worst thing you can do to a 924, you will have a tough time to properly set the carbs and the car will also be super inefficient on fuel.
Unless you have a lot of experience on carbs the car will be slower, run crappier and drink a lot of fuel.

If you dont want the mechanical injection, make an effort and get an EFI kit.
Raceboy sells a VEMS kit and there is another guy that sells a simpler efi kit.
Both under 2000 euro and your car will make more power, be super reliable and be even more fuel efficient than it is on mechanical injection.
chardorcher  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
You can safely plug the fuel return line.
The stuff near the original fuel pump are not filters, they are fuel accumulators.
Basically a recipient with a check valve. I would bypass those.
Since you're changing everything anyway..you might as well change the fuel filter as well.
Its probably ok to use the old one with carbs but maybe the pump you will use is super weak and will struggle to pump trough the fuel filter.

I still think this is the worst thing you can do to a 924, you will have a tough time to properly set the carbs and the car will also be super inefficient on fuel.
Unless you have a lot of experience on carbs the car will be slower, run crappier and drink a lot of fuel.

If you dont want the mechanical injection, make an effort and get an EFI kit.
Raceboy sells a VEMS kit and there is another guy that sells a simpler efi kit.
Both under 2000 euro and your car will make more power, be super reliable and be even more fuel efficient than it is on mechanical injection.

Hi Morghen thanks for the advise but Iv had 3 of these cars 2 with cis and 1 with weber kit which I sold as a half finished project...one I had to strip for parts and the other Im doing up right now... the only one that did not give me problems was the one with the weber kit so In my case i tend to disagree that its the worst thing you can do to a 924. I kept the one Im doing up since it was more 'finished' in a way as a car and needed only minor attention to intereior etc besides the change to the weber kit. Also we have a few expert carb tuners in Malta which I would rely on.The kit to Malta from the Uk Cost nearly Euro 2000 (cost 1650 = Eu280 vat and import tax) so money wasnt an issue here either. So its off with the accumulators and the new fuel filter , by passing everything with a direct line from the low power fuel pump to the weber kit, if I understood correctly.
In the mean time I will try this setup for some time and If it goes wrong which I hope it doesnt, I can still go to EFI by using the weber kit as throttles by plugging the fuel supply I believe and I would still need the inlet manifold already purchased so nothing will be thrown away, only thing I will have to do is the efi set up I believe. The injector holes can still be used as these were plugged in a good re-usable manner also. Some upgraded injectors and a good EFI system will certainly do the trick.
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 4 924s, one for nearly 20 years.
The 924 i have now was abandoned for about 10 years and sometimes i use it for weeks as a daily car.

My first 924 had the CIS "worked on" by people that did not understand it and it wasn't very reliable but still ran and never let me down.

The other three were super reliable as were never messed with.
When i was a kid, about 2007 I bought one on eBay in UK, showed up and drove it back to Romania...visiting Paris and a bit of Europe on the way.
Around 2016 I've had two 924 turbos at the same time and together with some friends we drove them to Silverstone and back, about 5000Km.

If the CIS is in good working order or properly restored it will be very reliable. I never got stranded, none of the CIS ever broke down.
For around 500 euro i can get your CIS refurbished and working as the factory intended to.

Anyway, good luck with your conversion and report back once the car is ready and running well.
chardorcher  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be I have no luck with the cis system... will report back once finalized probably on a new topic as i try to keep all my posts as individual as possible. Coming Saturday hoping to fit the carbs in place, plug the return fuel pipe, check a leaking hose pipe and have a look what is needed to be done for fuel delivery from the back taking notes and writing down what has to be bought etc... maybe it will be running in a few weeks, I also have to figure out the throttle cable system sent over with he carbs and decide if I will tackle it myself or leave it for the mechanic to set up as it is a bit complicated seeing it i bits,, but anyway if its not this way there wont be anything to tinker with on a Saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: