Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

LED dash bulb replacement - Found!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: LED dash bulb replacement - Found! Reply with quote

Good news, I've finally found and confirmed fit of the last remaining replacement dash bulbs to switch over the dash illumination to all LED power.

For quite some time, I've had most of mine already switched over, as they're the common type 74 bulb... bought mine here:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/74-led-bulb-1-smd-led-miniature-wedge-base

They're a plug-in replacement for the stock bulb, think I'm using either Cool or Natural White.

KEY NOTE: When switching to LEDs, be aware that they're polarized; if they don't work at first, turn them around. And be sure to test them all before reassembling the dash!

But the multi-gauge fuel and water/coolant temp illumination uses a different bulb! This style is pre-assembled with a bayonet socket, mounting from the backside of the gauge. The type 74 won't work.

What you need is the B8.5D:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/b8-led-bulb-smd-instrument-panel-led

Somehow cheaper, these are a direct swap-in for the stock socket-bulb combo. At a minimum, you need two, one each for the fuel and temp gauges. They will also work for all the warning lights - oil pressure, handbrake, etc, except for the alternator (requires a stock incandescent bulb)... but there's no real advantage to swapping these out, as they are colored by the gauge overlay, so there's no real benefit.

Oh, and what is the benefit, after all that? Well, even if you don't want to change the color of your gauges, the LED conversion is massively brighter than the little tired stock bulbs. You'll actually be able to see your gauges at night, even with traffic oncoming.

And yes, the dimmer function DOES work!

I'll post pics later this evening to the FB 924 groups - too much of a PITA to share here.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: LED dash bulb replacement - Found! Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Good news, I've finally found and confirmed fit of the last remaining replacement dash bulbs to switch over the dash illumination to all LED power.

For quite some time, I've had most of mine already switched over, as they're the common type 74 bulb... bought mine here:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/74-led-bulb-1-smd-led-miniature-wedge-base

They're a plug-in replacement for the stock bulb, think I'm using either Cool or Natural White.

KEY NOTE: When switching to LEDs, be aware that they're polarized; if they don't work at first, turn them around. And be sure to test them all before reassembling the dash!

But the multi-gauge fuel and water/coolant temp illumination uses a different bulb! This style is pre-assembled with a bayonet socket, mounting from the backside of the gauge. The type 74 won't work.

What you need is the B8.5D:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/b8-led-bulb-smd-instrument-panel-led

Somehow cheaper, these are a direct swap-in for the stock socket-bulb combo. At a minimum, you need two, one each for the fuel and temp gauges. They will also work for all the warning lights - oil pressure, handbrake, etc, except for the alternator (requires a stock incandescent bulb)... but there's no real advantage to swapping these out, as they are colored by the gauge overlay, so there's no real benefit.

Oh, and what is the benefit, after all that? Well, even if you don't want to change the color of your gauges, the LED conversion is massively brighter than the little tired stock bulbs. You'll actually be able to see your gauges at night, even with traffic oncoming.

And yes, the dimmer function DOES work!

I'll post pics later this evening to the FB 924 groups - too much of a PITA to share here.
\
Do you remember quite how many were required of each? Just got my dash pulled and im looking to get it squared away before going back in.Cheers
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
NJ924S-SE  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my dash and did some LED upgrades. Here are the bulbs needed:

For the console, I needed 1 for the oil gauge, 1 for the clock and 1 for the heater panel. (I have an AC control in the middle of the cluster that does not require a light. If you have a gauge there, you will need another one.
Console total: 3 (or 4) type 74

For the Dash,
The speedometer and Tachometer require 2 type 74 each
The Temp gauge and the Fuel gauge each require 1 B8.5D each
If you want to do the idiot lights, you will need 5 B8.5D
As noted below, do not try to replace the alternator light with LED
Dash gauges totals:
- 4 type74
- 2 type B8.5D
- 5 type B8.5D (if you want to do the idiot lights)

this may too late for Mclaren924, but may help someone else
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ924S-SE wrote:
I just replaced my dash and did some LED upgrades. Here are the bulbs needed:

For the console, I needed 1 for the oil gauge, 1 for the clock and 1 for the heater panel. (I have an AC control in the middle of the cluster that does not require a light. If you have a gauge there, you will need another one.
Console total: 3 (or 4) type 74

For the Dash,
The speedometer and Tachometer require 2 type 74 each
The Temp gauge and the Fuel gauge each require 1 B8.5D each
If you want to do the idiot lights, you will need 5 B8.5D
As noted below, do not try to replace the alternator light with LED
Dash gauges totals:
- 4 type74
- 2 type B8.5D
- 5 type B8.5D (if you want to do the idiot lights)

this may too late for Mclaren924, but may help someone else

I appreciate the response, I just ordered a bunch as I have multiple cars Im doing in different fashions.
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: