Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Washers not working, race to pass MOT 😨😨

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Porsche924Me  



Joined: 21 May 2021
Posts: 15
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Washers not working, race to pass MOT 😨😨 Reply with quote

Hello

My 924s failed its MOT on the windscreen washers not working of all things, and I'm in a desperate bid to try and get them working by Friday to get it put back through the MOT Friday as the car is due at a show on Saturday morning 😓 the guy said it needs an auto electrician but I won't get one in time so I'm seeing what I can do myself

The pump works, tested separately, but when pulling the stalk, nothing at all. The fuses are fine. I have taken the steering wheel off and taken the stalks out and given them a clean with some contact cleaner. Whilst I'm here and before I put it back together and pray, any advice on what else to check for? (Also indicators stick sometimes instead of flash so cleaning those whilst I'm at it)

Many thanks in advance

EDIT: I have found and had a good read of this, really helpful hopefully it might get me out the woods, but any other advice or knowledge that might help trouble shoot would be great, thanks
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=24984&highlight=washers
_________________
Jap and German Car Enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kondzi  



Joined: 02 Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Location: Poland/EU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea for a quick fix - maybe just short wire an external switch (new additional switch) directly to the pump so you will bypass whatever failed in-between the driver's hand and pump? Later you'd figure out what's wrong
_________________
---
Konrad
'89 951 US
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Porsche924Me  



Joined: 21 May 2021
Posts: 15
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kondzi wrote:
Just an idea for a quick fix - maybe just short wire an external switch (new additional switch) directly to the pump so you will bypass whatever failed in-between the driver's hand and pump? Later you'd figure out what's wrong


Thats definitely a good idea, thank you! that will be backup plan be, ill see if i can get a wire with inline fuse and a switch somewhere today !... probably halfrauds at last min lol :/
_________________
Jap and German Car Enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
16again2009  



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Posts: 70
Location: tulsa, ok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1988 924s and had this problem a few years ago. I pulled the steering wheel. At the top there is a small copper tab. When you pull the wiper handle back, it moved this tab to make contact with the motor contact. I cleaned this with sand paper and bent it a little to make contact. That fixed the windshield squirt problem. You can use a small screwdriver to push them together to see if the motor works before you start. The headlight switch is on the left side. The turn signal handle has kind of a plastic claw that attaches to the plastic switch behind it. If you don't hear a click when you pull the handle it's probably not connected. Removed the metal plate over the assembly and make sure the claw is attached to the switch behind it. Mine wasn't and I attached it and it worked. I hope this makes sense. I wish I had pictures. It took me less than an hour to fix both problems with zero cost. Good luck.
_________________
1988 porsche 924s
5 speed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Porsche924Me  



Joined: 21 May 2021
Posts: 15
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16again2009 wrote:
I have a 1988 924s and had this problem a few years ago. I pulled the steering wheel. At the top there is a small copper tab. When you pull the wiper handle back, it moved this tab to make contact with the motor contact. I cleaned this with sand paper and bent it a little to make contact. That fixed the windshield squirt problem. You can use a small screwdriver to push them together to see if the motor works before you start. The headlight switch is on the left side. The turn signal handle has kind of a plastic claw that attaches to the plastic switch behind it. If you don't hear a click when you pull the handle it's probably not connected. Removed the metal plate over the assembly and make sure the claw is attached to the switch behind it. Mine wasn't and I attached it and it worked. I hope this makes sense. I wish I had pictures. It took me less than an hour to fix both problems with zero cost. Good luck.


Thanks for everyones help so far! The good news is i got the washers working on the stalk after giving the contacts and pressure contracts a good clean but i just cannot seem to get the indicators to work correctly. i tried everything you mentioned. The relay seems to work, you can hear it clicking when the hazards are on or flashing the main beams both which work correctly but when pulling the inicator stalk, the switch itself clicks, the light on the dash illuminates solid to show indicator but no flashing and no illumination on outside of the car. I have checked all the wiring i can see all seems fine, cleaned the connectors.

Not sure what else i can check
_________________
Jap and German Car Enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
16again2009  



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Posts: 70
Location: tulsa, ok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're sure you got the claw hooked up, the only thing I can think of is a fuse
_________________
1988 porsche 924s
5 speed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Porsche924Me  



Joined: 21 May 2021
Posts: 15
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16again2009 wrote:
If you're sure you got the claw hooked up, the only thing I can think of is a fuse


You were right! I went out to the fuse box had another fresh look, looking at the diagram again and noticed turn indicators were on fuse 8 which looks fine, i gave it a spin and they immediately started working!

Thanks so much everyone, fingers crossed for the MOT this afternoon and off to the show we go tomorrow morning!
_________________
Jap and German Car Enthusiast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
16again2009  



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Posts: 70
Location: tulsa, ok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy I could help. Good Luck.
_________________
1988 porsche 924s
5 speed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group