Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Removing shaft from TT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Removing shaft from TT Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am planning to remove the shaft from my TT for replacement. As my bearings are good and funds are tight I am not planning the replace the bearings, only the shaft,
My question is: What is the best way to remove the shaft and keep the bearings intact and in place?
I am planning to stand the TT up on its end tomorrow and dribble some ATF down the shaft in the hope of lubricating everything...

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
safe  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull/push/beat the shaft out. The bearings should stay in place. I replaced the bearings in my TT and the bearings took quite the force to move.

The shaft should ideally slide pretty easy, but its probably full of crud and stuff... If you pour down lubricant, it will lub the first bearing and stop there.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Jaffar  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel,

You need to be very careful as you can damage the plastic/nylon/acrylic whatever carrier between the shaft and the bearing. A steel tube of just enough internal diameter to go over the stubband a obviously smaller than the shaft is the go.

Also make sure that you are pulling out the shaft in the direction that does not dislodge the plastic carrier or else you will have to pull out the bearings as well (which is quite easy with a threaded rod, nuts and some bits and peices).

Cheers,

Terry.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarks Garage for 944's has a detailed write up on the shaft removal in his shop manual. It may differ slightly if you have the Porsche gear box and due to shaft sizes

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: