Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

SUPERCHARGER kit for the 2L, now out there
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peakay  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Its possible to run with a modified original airbox.
The previous versions of the kit had this, but the new and custom airbox is miles better in flowing the required air...so i dont recommend using the old setup.
If you insist in using the original airbox or you really have to, i still have my old modified airbox, i can send that with the kit.
You could run that only for the inspection and switch back to the new setup after you have passed the inspection.
But it is quite possible that the inspectors wont even notice the new airbox. I dont think they wont give you the pass just for an aftermarket air filter...after all thats the only thing that stands out as being non factory.

That is very kind of you and I will definitely talk to you about that at order time. With regards to the new custom airbox, what is that? all I've seen is an exposed conical filter. That will for sure result in rejection - any visible deviation that is noticed is an automatic fail and that surely would result in failing.

Thanks again.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peakay wrote:
morghen wrote:
The previous versions of the kit had this, but the new and custom airbox is miles better in flowing the required air...so i dont recommend using the old setup.
If you insist in using the original airbox or you really have to, i still have my old modified airbox, i can send that with the kit.
You could run that only for the inspection and switch back to the new setup after you have passed the inspection.
But it is quite possible that the inspectors wont even notice the new airbox. I dont think they wont give you the pass just for an aftermarket air filter...after all thats the only thing that stands out as being non factory.

That is very kind of you and I will definitely talk to you about that at order time. With regards to the new custom airbox, what is that? all I've seen is an exposed conical filter. That will for sure result in rejection - any visible deviation that is noticed is an automatic fail and that surely would result in failing.

Thanks again.

The biggest issue running the modded airbox is that all engines seem to have different packaging. The engine sits at different heights etc, thats why my friend Erik had to make a different variant, there was no chance to fit ciprians version, even though he had to put in washers to move the engine down as low as poissible. Its a very tight fit, but doable if you are prepared to fiddle a bit.

Here is his car:

morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peakay wrote:
morghen wrote:

Thanks again.

I'll send you the modded airbox with the kit and although it wont fit perfectly due to every car and engine being a bit different, it will be enough for you to pass the inspection. When its time for the inspection you install that airbox and go to the inspection with it, afterwards you can return to the normal setup with the cone filter.
I'm surprised that running a cone air filter is going to fail the inspection, after all...its a consumable and changes the car in no way whatsoever.
You can actually share that airbox with Tray, they other guy in your area that has a 924SC and needs to pass inspection.

Alternatively the kit can be partially removed and the car returned back to original within 1-2h of work.
In places where the inspection is very firm people do this every year or every two years.

I'll make a video documenting how to return your car to original with minimal effort.

You can also invest a bit of time and work into making that modded airbox fit and clear everything in your car and run that all the time...its an option but due to the fact that you're in a place where temps are HOT, i strongly suggest you run the cone filter and my new alcohol cooling injection system that is designed to work with the cone filter setup.
peakay  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Alternatively the kit can be partially removed and the car returned back to original within 1-2h of work.
In places where the inspection is very firm people do this every year or every two years.

Thank you, it might be necessary, but it would be easier to avoid this. if the blower was visible it would be an automatic fail. The blow-off valve might also fail it, but there's a chance the tech wouldn't know what it was. Is it easy to disable the blower so its not in effect and if so, does the engine essentially run as if it was stock?
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you may know, i've taken my car appart for a complete rebuild. Engine and body.
Block and head should be back from the machine shop tomorrow or Monday.
Body work is delayed, as expected...but hopefully not too delayed as i need the car for the next thing.

Speaking of which, i hope you'll like it, i think you will and i think some of you will want it as well.
I'm done with the concept sketch and initial feasibility.
Did some first 3D printed prototypes, put together the part list and found suppliers.
Started the development phase for the built components and hoping to have the first parts within June.

If this works as i imagine it, it will make the 924 even better (again).
It is primarily made for the 924SC but will also work for the regular 924.
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
As some of you may know, i've taken my car appart for a complete rebuild. Engine and body.
Block and head should be back from the machine shop tomorrow or Monday.
Body work is delayed, as expected...but hopefully not too delayed as i need the car for the next thing.

Speaking of which, i hope you'll like it, i think you will and i think some of you will want it as well.
I'm done with the concept sketch and initial feasibility.
Did some first 3D printed prototypes, put together the part list and found suppliers.
Started the development phase for the built components and hoping to have the first parts within June.

If this works as i imagine it, it will make the 924 even better (again).
It is primarily made for the 924SC but will also work for the regular 924.

You know how to build excitement! Can't wait to see what you have cooked up next
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a bit of cleaning up for the supercharger kit.
I've implemented some lessons learned i picked up from the community.
I've also finished the design of the alternator offset correction for the RHD and the AC cars.

Also the bypass valve flange is now milled as the old parts were printed.
Slight cost increase but improved robustness.

kondzi  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Nice to see you're still developing the SC kit further
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 3 kits built and ready to be shipped.
I will probably not make SC kits until the end of the year or next year.
So if you want one this year, shoot me an email.

3D scanned the head cover and converted it to useable geometry.
Thinking of a way to get something like this done.

jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool that you milled the bypass flange. Now do the two-part intake and cone filter airbox adapter! I will pay for a set of all those.

I like the thought on the valve cover! That would be special indeed!

I am finally getting around to working on my own SC with Microsquirt and FrankenCIS firmware, as my 931 is running again. This weekend was teardown and assess extra wiring. I am removing much of the wiring harness that sits in the valley of the intake manifold, in favor of wiring to the Microsquirt harness.

I am grateful to have gotten an air meter flap that is the proper size so I hope not to have the same issue as last year! Will update when I'm back on the road with it.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into casting the charger inlet but its not possible due to space as i'd have to thicken the walls..and there is no more room on the outside...and i'd hurt the flow area if i thickened them towards the inside.
So they can only be 3D printed in plastic or metal.
With the right CIS plate you wont have any issue with the plastic 3D printed ones, just get the car in one piece and start running it.
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt see any discussion related car throttle buying morghens kit so here it goes,

https://youtu.be/-CWchdJymNg?si=ju9RVVO1KwqkS4US&t=360
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they have a kit and the charger but have gone silent about the 924 since then. I think they have trouble with the kjet, maybe if they stretch it long enough i’ll send them an EFI kit as well
Raize  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the intercooler not happening any more?
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not worth doing from performance point of view for this specific application. I’ll make a video about why i chose not to do an intercooler at one point.
But what i did on my car is water&alcohol injection and ran it for about a year.
When the efi is ready i’ll be able to have more info on this subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: