Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New owner of 1980 931 in Minnesota

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DD_project  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: New owner of 1980 931 in Minnesota Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself. I recently bought this car from another Porschephile and general car enthusiast. I'm looking forward to tinkering with the car and working on it with my youngest son. We are hoping to return it to its driving glory. However, I'm starting off with lots of reading and viewing videos. I already started ordering basic parts that I think will be needed.

This car will need to be fixed and improved from top to bottom. I suppose it's a personal preference, but I'm wondering where to start focusing in order to begin the project. I'm thinking of diving into the engine. The car was towed to my house because it was not driveable. The interior is completely stripped out and looks good. There are some leaks from the engine, but I figured that is normal for a car that's been sitting for a while and is this old.

I'm mechanically inclined and plan on doing a lot of work on my own, but I will definitely need help from this group. I can tell you guys and gals have a lot of experience, and I'll be asking lots of questions. I'll post photos later because I know we all love photos.
2017 Jaguar F Type R

Previous cars:
2005 Porsche 911/997
2003 Nissan 350Z
1976 Datsun 260Z
1990 Nissan 300ZX NA
DD_project  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this works. It's been a long time since I've posted on BB forums.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sv1x75HQ3a2gM81A9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJUzQ5Z2F6k4mF7A8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5SDaG2qhNchdjM298

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ms4rtMgBpxv4oQBm7
2017 Jaguar F Type R

Previous cars:
2005 Porsche 911/997
2003 Nissan 350Z
1976 Datsun 260Z
1990 Nissan 300ZX NA
DD_project  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I forgot to mention besides diving into the engine is also cleaning the fuel system. After reading some more, it would behoove me to purge the old fuel and clean the system from the injectors all the way to the main tank. Sounds fun...not. But it must be done.

From what I understand, this car is the M471 model.

I also want to modify/upgrade/improve some of the car's parts and functions. The technical section and some FAQ's I've read here have some great ideas and suggestions, so I will try them based on your successes.
2017 Jaguar F Type R

Previous cars:
2005 Porsche 911/997
2003 Nissan 350Z
1976 Datsun 260Z
1990 Nissan 300ZX NA
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the project! Though I don't need another car I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered picking that one up. I saw it for sale last week and thought to myself "Minnesota is only 6 hours away..."

I'm glad you ended up with it! Looks like quite a change and contrast to the Z cars you seem more familiar with.

The 1980 model in the US is special due to the G31 "snailshell" gearbox, among other things. There's a ton of information on the forum but I would start http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=22724&sid=5e308e08c448cb9ed8434e20c669d8c0 on this thread that Vaughan put together awhile back. Once you get the fuel system cleaned out, go through and take care of ALL the vacuum lines. There are a TON of them, but your car looks like it's pretty stock up top so you hopefully have all the fittings in good order.

Looking forward to seeing this one back on the road! Congrats again and welcome!
DD_project  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome and the links! I really appreciate the feedback.

It's funny, but I found that car on FB and saved it to watch in case I changed my mind. I knew it was a non-running car, but I wanted to keep tabs on it. After many failed attempts at looking for cars to find, I decided to reach out to him and ask about the car. Next thing I know, we're at his house talking about cars. We have a lot in common! So I became the lucky new owner.

I saw a few 924's in Illinois on several sites and thought about looking at them, too. Getting this car so close to home was a bonus.
2017 Jaguar F Type R

Previous cars:
2005 Porsche 911/997
2003 Nissan 350Z
1976 Datsun 260Z
1990 Nissan 300ZX NA
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: New owner of 1980 931 in Minnesota Reply with quote

WELCOME DD ! I have an early '80 931 I just got on 11/5 and am deep into it now, have Porsche restoration experience and full shop w/lift.

GREAT you have the M471 package - VERY desirable.

When was your '80 built? Date is on VIN label on driver's side.

I just unpleasantly discovered bad news about early 931's, which mine is: early Turbos usually needed rebuilding by 60k miles because of heat and design issues. Hope yours is built in mid-80's.

"The cylinder head was a new piece and had an improved combustion area and revised porting and repositioned spark plugs because of exhaust manifold clearances and heat generated in the turbo area. The engine also received a new oil cooler and thermostat to aid in reducing oil temperatures. But there were a few probems with the system. The oil feed to the turbo was routed close to the exhaust manifold. When engine temperatures soared, the oil in the engine and the feedline cooked, which in turn led to premature turbo failure.

Most early turbos had to be rebuilt or replaced at less than 60,000 miles. Labor was 8 to 10 hours and the exhaust manifold usually had to be replaced. Those wanting more perfromance had to fiddle with some questionable aftermarket parts that modfied the wastegate for more boost.

Porsche realized these shortcomings and for mid-1980 went to an improved ignition control and revised turbo and intake tracts. This yielded a full 45 horsepower over a standard 924 and was more reliable than the 1979-80 924 Turbo setup. The engine breather system was also revised to decrease head gasket failures and oilvapor generation."

Found here:

http://www.924.org/techsection/Boost924and944.htm

About half-way down page.

Yes - first thing is to renew all of fuel system - and flush with fresh fuel. Injectors MAY BE OK and not need cleaning, and a top 931 restoration mechanic told me to try them first. If engine runs poorly, or doesn't run, pull them and clean in ultrasonic cleaner and they should be fine.

If your car has in-tank fuel pump, replace it with screen filter and new stronger fuel pump - it is not used in later 924's. Ask me later and I'll give you part number for screen.

I can probably help a lot since I'm well into mine and have learned a lot on this website/forum.

But it appears that not a lot of people are on this forum and it may be a while before you get a response to questions.

GN

DD_project wrote:
Hi, everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself. I recently bought this car from another Porschephile and general car enthusiast. I'm looking forward to tinkering with the car and working on it with my youngest son. We are hoping to return it to its driving glory. However, I'm starting off with lots of reading and viewing videos. I already started ordering basic parts that I think will be needed.

This car will need to be fixed and improved from top to bottom. I suppose it's a personal preference, but I'm wondering where to start focusing in order to begin the project. I'm thinking of diving into the engine. The car was towed to my house because it was not driveable. The interior is completely stripped out and looks good. There are some leaks from the engine, but I figured that is normal for a car that's been sitting for a while and is this old.

I'm mechanically inclined and plan on doing a lot of work on my own, but I will definitely need help from this group. I can tell you guys and gals have a lot of experience, and I'll be asking lots of questions. I'll post photos later because I know we all love photos.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD -

Your engine looks great - much better than mine that sat in storage for 17 years.

Does engine turn over? If not cranked in long time put a few tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder before cranking engine. Can only help!

GN

DD_project wrote:
I hope this works. It's been a long time since I've posted on BB forums.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sv1x75HQ3a2gM81A9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJUzQ5Z2F6k4mF7A8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5SDaG2qhNchdjM298

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ms4rtMgBpxv4oQBm7
DD_project  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't started it yet, but I'm itching to do so. I really need to replace some lines that look very old, dry, and cracked.

I will try your suggestion, though. Now I'm excited!

Thanks for all the links.
2017 Jaguar F Type R

Previous cars:
2005 Porsche 911/997
2003 Nissan 350Z
1976 Datsun 260Z
1990 Nissan 300ZX NA
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DD, welcome to the forum! The 931 is a fun and unique car for sure. You may already know this but if not FYI, the 931 has an interference engine. If you can't verify when the timing belt was last replaced, installing a new belt and tensioner should be high on your priority list. Cheap insurance against all the bad things that happen when an old belt breaks...
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz guy wrote:
Hello DD, welcome to the forum! The 931 is a fun and unique car for sure. You may already know this but if not FYI, the 931 has an interference engine. If you can't verify when the timing belt was last replaced, installing a new belt and tensioner should be high on your priority list. Cheap insurance against all the bad things that happen when an old belt breaks...

Yeah like don’t even crank it over until you replace the belt..
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! Very first thing I did to mine......nightmare getting the cover off the timing belt, not bad after that. Might as well replace water pump while in there.

GN

jazz guy wrote:
DD_project  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so what you guys are suggesting is to purchase a new timing belt and water pump. If that's the case, please suggest the best sources for these parts.

Thank you!
2017 Jaguar F Type R

Previous cars:
2005 Porsche 911/997
2003 Nissan 350Z
1976 Datsun 260Z
1990 Nissan 300ZX NA
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD -

Long time no hear - no posts......what's going on?

Hope all is well, we'd love to hear from you......

GN
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: