Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Boring through injector hole for more flow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Boring through injector hole for more flow Reply with quote

I got this idea yesterday when looking at my turbo head, what if i made with my itb manifold small separate intake runners for injector holes, bored injector holes bigger for better flow.

What you think?, my main concern is that this would cause turbulance on top of valve.

morghen  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first thing to mention is that in your picture is a NA head not a turbo head, the runners look different on the turbo.
Second, its no real use to make the entrance larger if the valve itself stays smaller...or the runner just before the valve.

If i remember correctly you're building a high compression NA, right?
I would concentrate on making moving parts as light as possible, maybe do a small porting job on the intake/exhaust ports but not more.
Also i would run larger pistons with larger 88mm bore to increase the capacity to 2.1L
That way you will probably get a 5-7hp gain from the bigger capacity, 5-7hp from less rotating mass and 5-7hp from better flowing head...so in the end you'll be seeing 15-20hp more with an easy to rev engine.
If you also increase the CR of the engine you can probably get another 10-15hp.
The rumor on the internet is that the NA fuel system kind of tops out at 160hp so keep that in mind as well.

I was contemplating this exact recipe before i went with the supercharger idea.
I abandoned the hot NA idea because the price would probably be more than 2-3000 euro and the character of the car would not change much.
Basically it would still feel like the 924 but with a bit more power on the top end.
I wanted a bit more spice for less money...also i may be old but i kind of wanted the car to go quicker without making so much noise...so the instant extra torque of the supercharger made sense for me.
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Well first thing to mention is that in your picture is a NA head not a turbo head, the runners look different on the turbo.
Second, its no real use to make the entrance larger if the valve itself stays smaller...or the runner just before the valve.

If i remember correctly you're building a high compression NA, right?
I would concentrate on making moving parts as light as possible, maybe do a small porting job on the intake/exhaust ports but not more.
Also i would run larger pistons with larger 88mm bore to increase the capacity to 2.1L
That way you will probably get a 5-7hp gain from the bigger capacity, 5-7hp from less rotating mass and 5-7hp from better flowing head...so in the end you'll be seeing 15-20hp more with an easy to rev engine.
If you also increase the CR of the engine you can probably get another 10-15hp.
The rumor on the internet is that the NA fuel system kind of tops out at 160hp so keep that in mind as well.

I was contemplating this exact recipe before i went with the supercharger idea.
I abandoned the hot NA idea because the price would probably be more than 2-3000 euro and the character of the car would not change much.
Basically it would still feel like the 924 but with a bit more power on the top end.
I wanted a bit more spice for less money...also i may be old but i kind of wanted the car to go quicker without making so much noise...so the instant extra torque of the supercharger made sense for me.

im planning to use 87mm flat tops, forged rods, cbrr1000 itbs and going for compression about 11:1-12:1, i plan on use injecting fuel with the itbs, so making stock injector holes part of intake makes somewhat sense for more air flow
safe  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the injector port for injecting fuel... If you would want to inject in the TBs, fill the ports with epoxy. Smooth air flow is key.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont think this would result more air in the cylinder?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could work, but could also disturb the flow that comes along the wall. It's not something i would just throw in before evaluating it in the flow bench.
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im trying to create "simulation" of this in fusion 360 to see if theres point, Just trying to toss around ideas to get more power with na setup
safe  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you get this extra runner from the TBs?

I think you can make improvements with making the port straighter towards the valve, but that is a huge amount of work.
Also not sure that the port is that restrictive in size, it more the bends in it, the valves are quite small too.
Porsche 931 -79
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:

I think you can make improvements with making the port straighter towards the valve, but that is a huge amount of work.
Also not sure that the port is that restrictive in size, it more the bends in it, the valves are quite small too.

Im 3d printing my intake manifold, thats how
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:

Injector port has a way better angle for the valve
safe  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:
safe wrote:

Injector port has a way better angle for the valve

It does, but my gut feeling is that one smooth port is better than 2 odd sized merging in a strange way.
But if you could move the entire port up into that area, filling the old one there could be gains. But I don't see how that could be easily done.
Add a turbo instead
Porsche 931 -79
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it way more fascinating chasing more power in na, also the car is goint to be a track car and i want it to be more simple and reliable.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Morgan on getting the reciprocating parts lighter, both Mike9311 and myself are working on that. The only person who has gotten the NA head to flow much better is Gegge. I found and Hayes Lewis would confirm that the stock NA head tends to stall on flow at a little over .400 lift. Hayes is working with some cam grinders to make low lift cam for his race car. I think a duration range of 280- 285 degree with a .425-.450 lift would really work well. My testing on a 931 head showed it worked better(and higher overall) up to .450, but it almost flattened at .500. One thing to keep in mind is that with our Audi gearboxes, you don't want a long duration cam/small power band as the motor drops about 2000rpm between gears. Apparently the Euro Audi 5 speed has a bit tighter gearing than the US box.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should i remove these ridges when porting my 931 head?
safe  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
I agree with Morgan on getting the reciprocating parts lighter, both Mike9311 and myself are working on that. The only person who has gotten the NA head to flow much better is Gegge. I found and Hayes Lewis would confirm that the stock NA head tends to stall on flow at a little over .400 lift. Hayes is working with some cam grinders to make low lift cam for his race car. I think a duration range of 280- 285 degree with a .425-.450 lift would really work well. My testing on a 931 head showed it worked better(and higher overall) up to .450, but it almost flattened at .500. One thing to keep in mind is that with our Audi gearboxes, you don't want a long duration cam/small power band as the motor drops about 2000rpm between gears. Apparently the Euro Audi 5 speed has a bit tighter gearing than the US box.

Even if it stalls at .400, doesn't mean you cant lift beyond that, you get more time under the useful .400 without crazy valve acceleration.
Porsche 931 -79
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: