Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

using 931 head on NA bottom end
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closely at the header pic close up, you can see the holes were slotted open

Search Ebay 924 Weber. You will see the weber setup with intake or just intake by itself

I do think I saw the intake somewhat recently somewhere a lot cheaper but not sure where unfortunately
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one at Rallye Sport would be a bunch cheaper than stock, I'd buy it but I already have one on the NA and my second setup for the 931 head. He had it advertised on the RMVR forum on tapatalk.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonimartini wrote:
hmm you have some great info there! so let me ask your opinion. im just trying to build a fun reliable daily driver, not trying to build a racer but am tired of my 95hp 924's. do you think it would be worth it to build this hodge podge NA engine with the 931 head or should i build a really nice balanced euro spec NA using a massaged NA head. i already have all of these parts on hand including a nice set of euro spec pistons and euro distributor. im starting to think a nicely built euro spec engine with a header and a set of 40mm dcoe's will be the most fun and problem free car for me. i already acquired a 84 944 for the 5 lug brakes and 14" 14x5.5 fuchs for it. this is the look im going for, im even swapping my hatch for a spare 76 hatch with the greenish glass and chrome trim. i got hooked on the brown with chrome when i worked on a brown 911e targa. it was beautiful!

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1969-porsche-911e-coupe-c-9657.htm

Why bother with the 931 head, its not that much better. Use euro NA pistons if you can find them and deck the block.
Don't remember if flat tops you can get them into near 10:1, but that might be an option.

If you really want it to be a sweet reliable driver there is one option above anything else that will give you that, EFI without distributor.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
anthonimartini wrote:
hmm you have some great info there! so let me ask your opinion. im just trying to build a fun reliable daily driver, not trying to build a racer but am tired of my 95hp 924's. do you think it would be worth it to build this hodge podge NA engine with the 931 head or should i build a really nice balanced euro spec NA using a massaged NA head. i already have all of these parts on hand including a nice set of euro spec pistons and euro distributor. im starting to think a nicely built euro spec engine with a header and a set of 40mm dcoe's will be the most fun and problem free car for me. i already acquired a 84 944 for the 5 lug brakes and 14" 14x5.5 fuchs for it. this is the look im going for, im even swapping my hatch for a spare 76 hatch with the greenish glass and chrome trim. i got hooked on the brown with chrome when i worked on a brown 911e targa. it was beautiful!

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1969-porsche-911e-coupe-c-9657.htm

Why bother with the 931 head, its not that much better. Use euro NA pistons if you can find them and deck the block.
Don't remember if flat tops you can get them into near 10:1, but that might be an option.

If you really want it to be a sweet reliable driver there is one option above anything else that will give you that, EFI without distributor.

Well it is quite alot better, but a ported standard head would work fine aswell. If it goes wront its way easier and cheaper to find a spare head for an n/a, but you will need to rework that too. But if you already have all of the parts go for the one built on the n/a head. Just get a more fun cam which will change the charachter and make it more fun,.

Heres some numbers from mittlemotor on pretty much a similar recepie:
https://www.mittelmotor.de/racing/de/webshop/aktuelles/225-leistungssteigerung-porsche-924-2-0l-zylinderkopfbearbeitung

porting and cam is not wild, still designed to run Kjet aswell.
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the turbo head is better by a reasonable margin, but I think there is a lot that comes with a change to that head. I would use use a custom set of pistons to increase the compression to be able to reap the benefits of the head.
Its an easy choice to use it if you want to maximise the 924 engine. But if want to impove a 95hk k-jet, there is more that can be had from the NA.

My EFI conversion is running now. It is really nice to be able to push a button and the engine starts and runs really nice.
Porsche 931 -79
TJC  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally my motivation for using a Turbo head is actually economic as well as functional, meaning that they can be made to flow better than a NA head plus the ability to use off the shelf VW flat tops, plus I just happen to have a spare '81 Turbo engine laying around.
I was following this thread to educate myself on the availability of off the shelf headers and Weber friendly intake manifolds and now I see that doesn't seem to be an issue. Perhaps the bigger issue may be valve train and camshaft selection and availability and I've been following a couple of other posts regarding those items...and I may just have to contact my old cam grinder and see if he would be interested in this dinosaur project!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With headers it gets pretty crowded down there. You might have to go to a shorty or remote filter, With the hoses for a remote it does get quite tight. My remote filter setup with a feed from the Accusump makes it plumbing nightmare down there.

When the Brits did showroom stock racing back in the late '70's they found the the stock exhaust manifold was a real problem area so the ported it with good results(in one of the books). The internal passages are very crude, I tried porting one and matching it to the down pipe with some success. That cast iron is very hard and tough to work with particularly compared to the aluminum head. To me the design of the NA exhaust isn't bad, the manifold is just very poorly made.

I also would be concerned about the heat from the increased surface area of the headers affecting the alternator and starter.

'67 MG Midget Dp
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have pretty much an entire donor 931 so i could use hydraulic bell housing to move the starter in a better place as well as the alternator setup to get that out of the heat and into a more accessible place. one thing i am curious about is if i could use the 931 bellhousing with the 931 style pressure plate and the NA 924 clutch disc as to retain my extremely low mileage 20mm torque tube. i was planning on swapping my lsd from the g31 into my na snailshell since it barely has 30k on it and it shifted like a new car. also the 25mm torque tube has questionable pilot bearing surfaces. this is becoming quite a dilemma. too many parts too many choices. i may just build an engine with the 931 head and 87mm vw pistons so i can get some solid specs on it. IE actual compression, deck heights etc. i have on block that needs overbored and one good low mileage std block i could build with the std euro pistons.
83 944
87 924S
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how large the combustion chamber of the 931 head is?

Using the flat tops with 39.5 mm compression height (41 mm stock euro NA) should result in 10.6:1 with the NA head. That would be pretty good with premium fuel.

(I've measured the dish in the euro NA pistons to 19.8 ml, 1 mm of 86.5 mm is 5.87 ml, so loosing the dish would be equivalent of 3.37 mm of compression height)
Porsche 931 -79
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:

Using the flat tops with 39.5 mm compression height (41 mm stock euro NA) should result in 10.6:1 with the NA head. That would be pretty good with premium fuel.

(I've measured the dish in the euro NA pistons to 19.8 ml, 1 mm of 86.5 mm is 5.87 ml, so loosing the dish would be equivalent of 3.37 mm of compression height)

Have fun

http://924.terribly.fun/compression/
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C�dric wrote:
safe wrote:

Have fun

http://924.terribly.fun/compression/

Terrribly fun!

19.5 ml (or cc) in the head. That would leave you at about 8.8:1 with flat-tops. Shave of 1.5mm and you are at 10:1, but you might need to check piston to valve clearance.
Porsche 931 -79
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go the flat top piston and shave the block route, adjustable cam gears are available from CatCam in Netherlands and at least Piper in UK, Newman probably also. I got one form Catcam last year for about $125 last year.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ask me yest why because one day I will tell you anyway but...

Every 1mm of combustion 'stock' shape from the gasket mating surface is worth 4.8cc. I don't mean when you shave but when you add. shaving obviously doesn't work that way

I have seen some UK work involving CarreraRSR that studied how far you can open a 931 head. 26cc seems the limit according to that study
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Juho  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about using 931 pistons with na head?
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:
what about using 931 pistons with na head?

I think you might run into serious piston to valve clearance issues, 0.8mm of deck clearance. Depends on what valve relief pockets there is and how they match up with the angle om the na head valves and also the cam-shaft profile and timing.
Porsche 931 -79
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: