Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New guy, getting barn find 924 Turbo back up and running
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: New guy, getting barn find 924 Turbo back up and running Reply with quote

Hey all!

I'm a long-time Porsche guy (my daily is a 958 Cayenne diesel) who just picked up a 1980 924 Turbo.

Short story, I picked up the car after someone bought it for a race car and couldn't get it started. It was last registered in 2006, so probably hasn't run in around 14 years.

It looks like someone really hacked up the wiring on this car, so I've been going through and undoing the butchery.

Anyway, here's a video of the initial progress, with many more to come. I've got a ton of questions for y'all and hope you can help bring this gem back to life.

Sean

https://youtu.be/WHii7kvsQME
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't seen these threads already, you may find them immensely helpful:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=22724
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=28790

Good luck with the restoration!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Glad to see someone with motivation to do videos featuring this car. It doesn't get enough love for how awesome they really are.

I hear the S1 is the better one to have, but maybe I'm biased also with a 1980...

Love the interior here -- Chuck on the board also has the brown, tan and tartan interior. Very cool!

Replace all the rubber bits as you said in the video and it'll be a much happier car. The CIS injection hates vacuum leaks.. I've got some leftover correct large braided hose (e.g. for the upper charge tube to the four-way yellow plated hard tube under it, and from the AAV to that same tube) if you want I can send you some at cost let me know... I had to buy several feet of it even though I only needed a few inches, and it's not cheap or widely available. I saw you got the small lines but not the bigger ones under the intake -- it's just easier with the charge tube off, to refurbish the entire loom.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=401098#401098

If you see on the top picture of this post, the two shortest, widest braided hoses on the four-way yellow hard pipe.. that's what I am referring to. And all the rubber elbows -- Guarantee those are source of some leaks too. The bigger diameter one is available through Porsche but for the smaller one the best fitting part is a Dorman elbow for a Ford I believe.. You'll also want to get the elbow and straight connectors on the turbo recirculation valve to the lower intake manifold -- that's a job for when you have things apart to do the timing belt or you'll be cursing a lot..
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I'm really excited to get this one back up and running.

Those are some phenomenal links and I'll definitely be going through them asap.

Jacobroufa, thanks for the offer, and I'll be reaching out to you in a bit to discuss the braided hose. I just redid a 66 Thunderbird and replaced around 200 feet of vacuum hose, so this car should be a breeze!

Sean
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cars are actually very easy to work on once you can come to an understanding of them..

Replace all vac lines..
CIS pressure tet.. (haynes)
Injector flow test.. (haynes)
And you're golden..
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY! After a 14 year slumber the 924 Turbo is back to life. It only took undoing a lot of “repaired” wiring and cleaning the fuel system again. Plus, I took it on my first drive.

It’s got a few issues that need sorting pretty quickly. First, the clutch doesn’t feel like it’s fully disengaging...I have to shift slow and even then it will grind sometimes. Perhaps it needs a new clutch.

Second, there’s a rattle at about 3000 RPM. It sounds like a heat shield, but is coming from the clutch area. Perhaps it’s related to #1 above.

Regardless, there’s still a lot to do. It’s has a wiring short (still) that drains the battery overnight and it needs a LOT of cleaning.

I do need a few parts, and hopefully someone can help.

If you're in the general Colorado area, I'm in need of a few parts for this car:

-Rear spoiler (just the center piece, but will take the whole spoiler if needed)
-Front windshield
-Rear view mirror
-Air filter housing straps

Let me know if you can help!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, I really appreciate it!

Sean

https://youtu.be/R6qcx-iNbXI
Harm  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: New guy, getting barn find 924 Turbo back up and running Reply with quote

Auto Anatomy wrote:
https://youtu.be/R6qcx-iNbXI

FYI Clutch Master Cylinder rebuild kits do exist and start at a minimum price of ~€17,-

Like many others I’ve used the FTE product provided by Michael of sportwagenparts.eu

My 2 cents.
Good Luck.
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I briefly looked and couldn't find one, so went ahead and bought a replacement unit. I'd rather rebuild the original units if possible.

Sean
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Cayenne Diesel!
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. The Cayenne diesel is a great car, and such a workhorse.

As for the 924, the next step is going through all the brakes/suspension and getting them back to life. I'm afraid the car will need a clutch soon as the pedal disengages at the very top and doesn't feel like it's disengaging fully. The transmission will grind unless you shift very slowly and there's a vibration at around 3000 rpm that sounds like it's coming from the clutch area.

Sean
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, strange thing happened today...

I was letting the car warm up (it has been running really well lately) when suddenly it just stopped. I thought it may have been low on fuel, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I've got good fuel pressure, but now no voltage to the coil. I let the car sit for a minute with the battery disconnected, checked voltage at the coil and it was around 6.7V. The car started back up again and then died about 3 seconds later. Now, no voltage to the coil.

I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet, but any immediate thoughts?

Sean
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the fuel pump relay died, killing the tach signal. When I jumper across 30-87, the car fired right up.

More parts on order!

Sean
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tach signal could have died causing the relay to stop working..

tach still works fine with no FPR in, but FPR needs tach signal to turn the pump on..
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting closer to having the abandoned 924 turbo as a daily driver!

https://youtu.be/sVT7-mCqTlc

Sean
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the turbo overboost switch is earthing. If it’s not it kills the FPR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: