Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 (Woody) project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is what I wanted you to do even though I can't say for sure thats your issue. I was hoping we could test by temporarily fitting the cardboard spacer there and seeing if it shifts. Just to hold the gear while shifting

Kuril k2 is the sealant you want and its great to have around anyway. I will confirm if its the K2 variant tomorrow since I have two different kinds (ordered one by accident). It can be used on a gasket but its designed to be a direct on case sealant. I use it both ways for lots of stuff

As for lubricant I find myself finally, and I mean finally, wiser... Forum lubricant discussions are brutal. So I will try oh so hard not to comment on brand since that is such a personal choice for many. I will say I actively use several brands depending on the car. 75W90 is good though and I prefer a synthetic like Redline or other
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just confirmed its Curil K2 for sure and you will find it on Ebay

I accidentally bought the wrong one a few years back so I wanted to be sure
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have gotten back around to this sooner. The last month has been crazy...

Anyway, made some spacers w/ card board and even with 2nd gear secured tight against that thrust washer the selector does not want to engage. I should have taken this video without the temporary spacer too, because the behavior here is the same as what it has been and what I expected based on how it behaved in situ.

Short video linked below. Anyone who's been into these gearboxes know what might be going on or how the selector ring is binding between the dog ring and 2nd gear?? The teeth are all nice and clean, not worn down, which is consistent with what Dan has told me about this box being rebuilt not 500 miles ago...

https://imgur.com/a/QlaeSKP
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have done a bunch of research and reading before I tear more down.. Our G31 box is very similar internally to a 915, so I've been digging into threads on Pelican and Rennlist for similar symptoms to what I'm experiencing. Lots of the focus here is on the dog rings and synchronizers. Understandable as that's one of the boxes main weak points.

I found this thread today that I think is what I'm experiencing.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1016996-5th-gear-closed-business.html

Essentially one side of my 2nd-3rd shift sleeve could possibly be "closed for business" as one post in this thread put it.

Going to pull the front bearing then 2nd gear off and see what I can find here. Looks like Einmalig has this shift sleeve if I need it.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too long since an update. Working on the basement and so the gearbox went on a shelf....

Anyhoo. Got the bearing and washer pulled off, and took off 2nd gear. The shift sleeve (that I suspected) looks fine; not mushroomed as in the thread I linked in my last post.

So this is what I'm looking at. I've never had one of these apart but it seems like the small block (at the bottom in the picture) is off slightly. Could this cause a symptom like what I'm experiencing?
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahaha I'm an idiot. They're not supposed to be stuck in there...

So, I was tired of thinking about it the wrong way and decided to hit it with a hammer. The larger of the two small pieces that is, and with a drift, and *bam* just popped out.. so I am unstuck. Going to be reassembling and getting this one back on the road ASAP.

Lesson learned. Sometimes I'm just afraid of things because I don't understand every little bit about them. First time inside a gearbox, and I was pretty nervous to damage it further because I'm new at this. But for stuck things, it always seems to come down to either heat or a hammer. Or both.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redid the water pump seal this weekend. I still have a pinhole leak somewhere, possibly from the multi-part thermostat housing above the pump, but I cannot tell at all.

This is maddening. The _worst_ thing to try to repair, for how fiddly it is. You gotta get the order correct, to ensure everything seals.. and it's just so much to remove to even get to it in the first place. The vent tube from the turbo to the intake manifold is just the icing on the cake.

Anyway, I will not let that stop me from getting it back on the road. Something to keep a very close eye on and I will reseal it again sometime soon when I feel like I have more patience with it. This is like the 4th time I've tried.. always something.

---

Additionally, while I was in there and had that mess all apart I replaced the airbox to turbo curved boot with a silicone piece. Trimming that to fit was an exercise, and I almost cut it too short.. Sealed up real nice though.

---

Next up, front suspension revamp (replace shocks and tower bushes, freshen a-arm bushes) and replace the transmission and refreshed CV axles. I just got my gear oil in so I should be able to seal up the transmission in the next week or so and get it back in the car.

Before re-installing it though I'm going to take some advice from elsewhere in the forum and cut an access hole between the rear seats..

---

I had hoped to get it out this weekend but I just did not have enough time. My goal is to get it back on the road before it's been a full year without.. That'll be early July this year. I'll be driving it before then I hope.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't done shit on this car but grumble about it for months until this weekend..

Didn't touch the water pump again -- I will do that after the transmission is back in and the car moves under its own power again, just so I can drive the stupid thing.

So yesterday and today have been doing the following:

* Front struts (bilstein green and blue from Dan when I bought the car)
* New a-arm bushings forward and rear
* Ball joints
* Outer tie rod ends
* Strut tower bushing/bearings
* Stainless braided brake hoses all around
* Finished manual window swap on the driver's side

Those rear brake hoses were a pain in the butt.. well, pain in the arm, having only like 1/10 of a turn on the forward side of the hoses at a time.

So plan for some time this week is to clean and refresh the axles, and pick back up where I left off on the transmission. Fingers crossed I'll actually get to it.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last year has been really tumultuous for me. I've not gotten much done on the 931, but I did move and so I've got some small update here..

I was working on supercharging my 924 Weissach and as that has taken a break for a bit -- waiting on some parts currently -- I was encouraged by my close friend to take another look at the 931 transmission and wrap up that project.

So I got the second gear installed and that is shifting nicely after I've set the thrust washer clearance back to 0.011" and reinstalled the main bushing on that shaft. Shown here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/foBepgWYVnC7dw4C6

I never should have waited so long as I did. Lesson learned, maybe, hopefully. It'll cost me this time, though hopefully not much. I am missing a roll pin from the shift forks, and I have misplaced a detent for the 2nd-3rd shift action. I have the spring and I thought the detent was still in its pocket but I can't seem to find it. I have ordered these two items; roll pin from Einmalig and detent from CogsCogs. I also picked up a set of new transmission mounts since they are finally available from Porsche and mine are shot. Both of these shops have a better price on the item as well, than any dealer in the US..

Anyway, once I get those two things I can finish up here, reseal the trans and reinstall. I have new boots as well for my axles, which I will be replacing one of these upcoming weekends.

Only other thing to deal with here to drive this car is to replace the cooling fans which I pilfered for my other 924 project. Maybe a 944 cooling upgrade is in order here?
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:
Maybe a 944 cooling upgrade is in order here?

Yes. Recommended.

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=36438
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAN!
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

┬┴┬┴┤(・_ ├┬┴┬┴
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the plan, Dan! I have the brackets made, and I just picked up an '88 parts car to pull the stock radiator from. I have a cheap aluminum rad I bought this summer intending to upgrade, but the quality is so terrible -- every bracket is crooked -- and I could not successfully mount it with a stock 944 fan shroud. Hoping for a better experience with a stock 924S/944 rad.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok earlier in the week I found my bottle of Curil K2 for sealing this transmission case. I installed the middle case so there's progress. Currently waiting on a shipment from Einmalig for a roll pin and new transmission mounts. I found the detent I thought I had lost, luckily.

Yesterday I pulled the radiator from my 924S parts car and started to refurbish the axles. I will have to dig up the radiator brackets I made earlier in the year, to mount it. The axles require I need to get a new tool to install the retaining rings. I was able to remove them with pliers but I am not going to get so lucky on reinstallation.

Slowly this one is going back together..
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
┬┴┬┴┤(・_ ├┬┴┬┴

Is this the all seeing Dan eye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: