Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How many are left?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smart931  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 82 931, running but not back on the road yet. It was until the dreaded ignition gremlins struck.[img]
1965 Chevrolet Corvair (Left in England)
2010 Mazda 3 (Ex got this in divorce)
1974 Triumph TR6 (sadly gone)
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special (Daily)
patand  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a (well) runnnig -80 (S1) that is somewhat modified (mostly in the chassie), it is like a 924 Turbo CS sort of... It is has been rely reliable after I changed the engine head (had a meltdown, literally). Some minor glitches of course but I have drove it to the track (120km is the closest one) and drive a lot (and hard!) on the track (100-300km) and back home again (120km) several times a year without hassle.

My father has a -81 (S2) that is much original and which we resurrected after a stand still of 12 years (broken piston) when he bought it. It now runs well and gets in better shape every year.

I have also own a 931 S2 which had an S1 engine that was not running and most of the car was already parted. I bought it solely to get the engine (used the head instead of my blown one). The rest of the car I sold to a guy who is now planning to put a Chevy V8 in it.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patand wrote:
I have a (well) runnnig -80 (S1) that is somewhat modified (mostly in the chassie), it is like a 924 Turbo CS sort of...

Ooooooh! Please tell me more!
patand  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
Ooooooh! Please tell me more!

Well maybe I said to much now. It's really not THAT cool. But here it goes:

It has an (as far as I know) stock S1 ROW engine, i.e 170bhp.

Stock G31 gearbox (crunching synchros on 2nd), feel free to sponsor me with some parts ideola... (BTW, sorry that I haven't found the parts you needed).

Chassie vice it has adjustable coilovers in front, with 700lb/in springs and Bilstein dampers, original swaybar. In the rear it has rebuilt "towers" to accomodate shorter (and harder) torsionbars from 911 Turbo and the dampers are adjustable and from Koni, no swaybar (because of the lack of locking differential the rear end needs to be somewhat soft to keep the wheels in the ground).

Wheels are cookie cutters 15x7J ET 23 with Toyo R888 205/50-15. ET23 is possible without wide fenders because I use a smaller spacer than original in back and have quite a lot of camber in front.

Wheel alignment is maximum camber in front (i.e - 3 to - 3,5 degrees, haven't actually measured since I maximized it last year) and -1,5 degrees in the rear. Caster in front is set to max of course and toe is stock both in front and rear.

For reduced weight it has a lightweight engine hood (glass fiber) and from the back of the seats and backwards it is lacking interior, it just has a thin carpet in the trunc to make it look a little nicer. I also suspect some soundproofing is gone from under the carpet in the front. Weight including 1/3 tank of petrol is 1100kg.

For increased security it has a rollbar (unfortunately not an entire roll cage) and to be able to sit still while driving hard on the tracks it has a Sparco Corsa drivers seat and of course a 4-point harness, a "no name" similar race seat keeps the passenger in place.

Here is a picture in action:

And some when just showing off:

Want some onboard video? Of course you do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpoDXZmtX70

The video is from thursday last week (sorry for the bad quality, don't know where the blue square came from). It is filmed just at the end of a track drivers course that I'm one of the instructors at, that is why it is only me at the track, everyone else had left.

And here is another one where I'm at a track day with the Swedish Porsche club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Vw0lQH490

Had some bad front diskbrakes at that day, that is the noice you hear evertime I break. Still managed to keep up with faster cars like the GT3 in the corners (on the straights you can't keep up with 170 bhp...).

Sorry for the long post in perhaps the wrong thread... but you asked for it ideola!
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't hear ANY complaints from me! Pix and videos in one post, who can complain?! Thanks for sharing
patand  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
You won't hear ANY complaints from me! Pix and videos in one post, who can complain?! Thanks for sharing

Hehe... great!

So what do you think of my car? Personally I really like it the way it is ("CS:ish") and behaves.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! You may be aware I'm working on a project to modify my recently-acquired Euro spec into a CS-like package. I would be interested in seeing more pix of your car, especially the interior, and your roll bar. I don't think I'm going to fit a roll bar (unless I can find an inexpensive used Redline bolt-in bar); I already have a harness bar for it, so that may have to suffice unless I get lucky.

Still debating about what to do regarding my seats. This car came with really nice houndstooth cloth covered seats. I'd like to put in some lighter weight race seats (Sparco or Momo), but I also want to stay in the spirit of WWPD (what would Porsche do), and I'm not sure aftermarket seats fit within that design aesthetic.
patand  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
I love it! You may be aware I'm working on a project to modify my recently-acquired Euro spec into a CS-like package. I would be interested in seeing more pix of your car, especially the interior, and your roll bar. I don't think I'm going to fit a roll bar (unless I can find an inexpensive used Redline bolt-in bar); I already have a harness bar for it, so that may have to suffice unless I get lucky.

Still debating about what to do regarding my seats. This car came with really nice houndstooth cloth covered seats. I'd like to put in some lighter weight race seats (Sparco or Momo), but I also want to stay in the spirit of WWPD (what would Porsche do), and I'm not sure aftermarket seats fit within that design aesthetic.

Me to!

No I wasn't aware of your project. Sounds like a nice one!

I don't have much interior pics, mainly because the interior is mostly stock except for the seats and some extra gauges (oil temp, lambda, boost, fuel pressure and a Knock Link). But I can try and remember to take some pics and mail you.

If you want to see and read more about me and my car(s) then you can visit www.patandracing.se (you can use this link to have it translated into english: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=www.patandracing.se&sl=sv&tl=en) Not a perfect translation but I think you will get the most of it. I also have some handy links and documents that you perhaps can find usefull.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patand wrote:

Here's the concept:
What makes a club sport a club sport?

And here's the starting point:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=31406

patand  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
patand wrote:

Here's the concept:
What makes a club sport a club sport?

And here's the starting point:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=31406

Thanks! I'll try and follow your project now!
924guy  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 931's Reply with quote

rdjohnston50 wrote:
I've got #428 out of a production run of 800(imported to US) 1982 931's. Her value is certainly not consistent with rarity; and I wonder why.

1982 #649 sleeping in my garage waiting for me to get working on her...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
turboquattro  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

93A0153365 is alive and enjoying the sunny day today.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/ralleyquattro/1980Porsche924Turbo?authkey=Gv1sRgCKHNnpCZ8djuqgE#
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turboquattro wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.ca/ralleyquattro/1980Porsche924Turbo?authkey=Gv1sRgCKHNnpCZ8djuqgE#

Decided to keep her, eh?
Carrera  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turboquattro wrote:

Looks awesome! How the heck can the dash look so perfect...
Mine looks like a combat zone compared to yours
Carrera  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patand & ideola, great to see the club sport versions
I'm attempting something along those lines but more as a street rod than a track car... although I definitely will be tracking my car
Pictures and a description to be revealed in a couple of weeks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: