Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Help! Ignition lock stuck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Help! Ignition lock stuck Reply with quote

Hi all. I searched the forums but couldn't find anyone else complaining about this.
I drove my car Friday afternoon and parked it with no unusual experiences. I went to start it Saturday and the ignition lock won't unlock. I can't turn the key at all in the ignition. When I first fit the key into the ignition and it was stuck, I turned the steering wheel a few times since I assumed the wheel was locked too and sometimes they both unlock easier if you work both at the same time. But the wheel was not locked, it subsequently locked cuz I turned it. So now my steering wheel and ignition are locked and the key won't work. I tried my 2nd key too but no difference.
Any ideas? Help appreciated.
Richie 1988 924S
gohim  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lubricant used in the lock cylinders turns rock hard over time.

That combined with the cold is causing the pins to hang in the lock cylinder.

The only way that you might free them is to wash the gunked up lubricant out of the lock cylinder. It will be messy, but what I would do is hose a penatrating lubricant into the lock cylinder, followed by inserting the key over and over, while turning the steering wheel back and forth against the lock/stops.
richierich  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Solved thanks Reply with quote

Gohim and Mike (who pm'd me) are exactly right. And they both neglected to say "he dummy why haven't you tried lubricating it before posting." A special thanks to them both.

Regardless, I did lubricate it and it free'd up right away. Thanks all, case closed.
Wagdog  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the same problem. 931 unused for years. Got it running ( took months), reversed out of the garage and found the steering was locked. Shook the steering column with no effect. Doused the area from every angle with InOx, a penetrating oil with a lubricant which is claimed not to dry out. Left key in ignition switch and disconnected battery (otherwise my battery would go flat) and went away for a month. By the time I returned it was free. A wonder lubricant!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: