Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

sunroofs...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone taken that crappy stock metal one out and put in a nice glass one? i'm doing this, one way or another, and i'd like any advice i could get. so far i've learned not to use plexiglas. and everywhere i go (autoglass places) say it's impossible or nearly so.
help???

-nick  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a kit known as the 'saratoga top' that is a big piece of glass. they're not made anymore but i still see them pop up for sale sometimes- they go for ~400 clams! they were also well known for leaking like nobody's business.

i had a version of it on an early non-sunroof 924 i had. a hole was cut out and glass ran on tracks on the roof. you opened it by sliding it back. i thought it was kind of ugly, but it was nice to see the sunshine or stars when the weather was cold.

as for making up your own to fit the gigantic factory roof? plexy is probably your best bet, although i imagine it may be tough to seal also.

good luck,
-nick
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually wanted one that popped out or you could push up at one end rather than the kind that slide back. i was planning to use plexiglas but all the people i talked to said it would leak because the top of the car isn't *perfectly* flat. if there's any sort of curvature the plexi will bend up whereever it's not held down. also, it's 'oily' so it doesn't seal well. or so i hear. i don't really care if i use plexiglas real glass... i just REALLY want this done.

friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooooooooh..... on alex roy's site i see that he did EXACTLY what i want to do with mine.
help, alex, help!

Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, dat's a beautiful ting! Did the acrylic come pretinted? Do we need a pizza oven to shape it?
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well......I haven't finished it yet.....but.....

I stuck half of it in my oven at a time, then formed it on top of the original. I was going to make an aluminum frame to hold the shape and make it removable, but I went to work on it again a couple days ago and my forming has come out of it (had the original top back in because of weather).

Unfortunately, I may abandon the idea.

If you want to try, I got 3/8" plexiglass which WAS pre-tinted. The plexiglass cost me $30
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it leak? i mean, if it's clipped down...
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold one still new in the original box to Cathy at Porschewerks9 for 500. I put it on my car just for pictures and took it off. Gutted my sunroof for the track and sold the new one.
One on ebay used for the same 500.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea on e-bay the saratoga saw it last nite 500 clam- samoles though
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at that price i think i'll just have to be inventive.
those people who had/have a plexiglas or glass sunroof, did/do you like 'em?

924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock roof is not metal, it's fiberglass.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i dinnit think of that.
today i got the front brakes done. ta da. tomorrow is the rear. if we can get that castelled (?) nut off. hehehe. the other side, the one we got off, the previous idiot, err, owner, had beaten with an awl. it looked like a snowflake. he must have learned something because he didn't try it on the other side - it's just rust-welded on. yahooooooey. we're gonna throw some heat on it.

Joes924  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good-luck
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having trouble finding a good seal for my sunroof.

ltgland  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some uk places have em (dont know how good), if you having trouble finding them stateside, I will dig out the urls for you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: