Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

WELCOME NOOBS!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L84party  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm a new member here. I purchased a 1978 924 on May 8th. My first one!

The car was a single-owner car in California until about 3 years ago when the guy I bought it from got it. It has sat a bit for the last few years so I've got a few things to work through. There was a small fuel leak. Replaced the accumulators already and then discovered a big leak in one of the fuel lines. I've got a replacement ordered. Meanwhile, the brakes don't work so I'm looking at the brake master cylinder and replacing all the flex hoses. It also needs new tires. Those are the major things that need attention, along with a few smaller things.

Anyway, I bought this car to learn about how to maintain an old car and to take it to the track and learn how to drive it! So far it's been an adventure!
914rrr  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Pondering a 924 and/or a 931 purchase Reply with quote

Thanks for the add! New here, long time P-Car owner and weekend mechanic (see sig below). Last was a 996TT Tip aka "the evil temptress". Absolutely loved it but it was almost too nice to drive and was waay to tempting to mash the loud pedal in.

Lately I've been eyeballing a few 924's and 931's as my next P-Car project(s), frankly because 914's and long hood 911's are currently, in my opinion, stupid expensive.

Been browsing here and elsewhere and I'm a bit concerned about general availability of mechanical / FI parts / trim parts. I'd hate to get into a project only to find key pieces are NLA / Unobtainium. Are my fears justified, or am I being overly cautious?
30 year PCA member, previously owned 40 Porsches (mostly 914's and early 911's), 50 Air Cooled VW's, 12 H2O VW's (mostly diesels), and bunch of other makes including Audi, Opel, Renault, Mercedes, GM, Ford, Mopar, etc.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most things for these cars are very cheap, but some specific parts are a bit expensive because they are rare..
I can’t really think of anything you CAN’T get though..

No.. You can still get pretty much everything.. Or find an alternative..

I think the worst would be the crank sensor for the 81+ turbos, but you can just pay a lot for one, or swap to a different ignition..

Really most wear parts for these cars are super cheap VW parts, with few exceptions..

For example, I have a 95 M3, and it seems everything for that car costs atleast 3X as much as it would for a 924..
The most expensive stuff for 924s is probably about equal to what everything costs on that..

Don’t be scared..

Buy whatever you want but I really like the turbos..
Their is a sweet supercharger kit coming soon for the NA cars though..

I would also try to find a 5 lug car.. But whatever..

Depends on what you want..
Are you the quest for performance kind? Or do you just want to drive and play with classics?
We have all types around here..
We are keeping cool cars alive and keeping these awesome cars relevant in performance terms also..
We can make Turbos shit and get and also keep the oldest 76 924s around forever..

If we can’t find it we make it, or group buy a company to make it for us..

I think you’ll be alright..
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Eddie said. Cheap car to run, but like a lot of cars that saw long periods of unlove, you probably got your work cut out for you.

There are some NLA parts, but a useful and growing aftermarket.. And this board is such a good resource it's never been a problem in my experience.

Blast to drive though, full mechanical car, you gotta work to enjoy it but it is so rewarding. Nothing like it, and much rarer than the 944 in any spec, if you're into that..

FWIW.. I have been a 924 owner nearly half a dozen years now. Got a 931 a couple years ago, I like them that much. I thought about getting a Boxster earlier this summer; drove one and enjoyed it well enough. But my expectation was based upon the 924.. Will probably find a 924S next and complete the trio. I drive mine as much as I can. I expect you might, too.

EDIT: saw your sig and noted the VWs.. Have a few myself in addition to the 924s.. currently 63 sedan deluxe (anthracite & coral, still 6v), 71 type 2 westfalia (soon to be restored), and 81 vanagon westfalia (still air cooled, summer family regional camper).. I have dreamed of an 86 M491 coupe, but as you said air cooled porsche prices are insaneo.. one day maybe.
Annieclover24  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I am new here. Happy to be the part of this community...
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. If you have questions or are willing to share info, folks here are happy to respond.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Topls82  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Noobie Reply with quote

Guys just yesterday bought my 81Turbo…
It really needs a total restoration
I have just (almost) finished a 71 911 nut & volt and everything in between..
So my first steps will be to purchase to factory manuals & Turbo supplement.
If anyone would like to sell please let me know.

Heard this is an accomplished group so am sure will need guidance and advise
As well as parts !

Looking forward to exchange
Regard
Frank
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Noobie Reply with quote

Topls82 wrote:
Guys just yesterday bought my 81Turbo…
It really needs a total restoration
I have just (almost) finished a 71 911 nut & volt and everything in between..
So my first steps will be to purchase to factory manuals & Turbo supplement.
If anyone would like to sell please let me know.

Heard this is an accomplished group so am sure will need guidance and advise
As well as parts !

Looking forward to exchange
Regard
Frank

Welcome!

Send me a message,. Ill hook you up with the manuals free of charge in pdf
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Frank! Chicago-land is a good area to be in with this car. Lots of 924 knowledge in your backyard.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y’all Chicago guys are so lucky, and I’m stuck out here in the middle of nowhere in 924 world..

Welcome
924baldyguy  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. New here. I just bought a 77 924. It's gutted, with a fuel cell, honda h22 fuel system, ITB's, MSD ignition and running megasquirt. Also has 944 suspension and brakes and a 4 point harness bar and single sparco seat. I won't be restoring it. Instead I'll design and build a presentable sheetmetal dash and add some amenities back, like power windows and such, and i'll need to tune it. Would also like to hide the fuel cell instead of having it just sitting under the hatch.

Right now I'm addressing the battery area. I just got done building tie downs. The stock studs were sheared off, or cut, don't really know which. So i used some angle aluminum and nutserts to tie it back down. I could push the car using only the battery it seems, so i guess it worked out.

I'll try to start a project post soon.

I'm also a machinist by trade and have a few things i may be building soon. Probably number one is the rear hatch latch system. I'm going to design some pieces to replace the existing using a camlock, as the prior owner had 3d printed some stuff to try and make it work right and it got sun baked and deteriorated. Not sure if anyone is interested but once i have a prototype i'll post some pics and see.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see pictures of this beast? i'm curious about the fuel rail fitment, looking for a bolt on rail that can be used on the 924 head.

Welcome to the board!
924baldyguy  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Can we see pictures of this beast? i'm curious about the fuel rail fitment, looking for a bolt on rail that can be used on the 924 head.

Welcome to the board!

I would love to post some pictures. Got a suggestion for a free hosting site? I haven't been on forums for quite some time and apparently photobucket doesn't do host links without paying anymore.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I like imgur.com for hosting pictures. You can right click and get the image URL easily once uploaded, and they support short-codes appended to the resource name e.g. "h" for huge and "l" for large.
924baldyguy  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Got that set up. Here's some pics. She's a little rough around the edges but i have plans. Already started taking care of some of the rust areas just to have them coated before rain comes back in Sept/Oct.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: