Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Would anybody happen to have a picture of a Fuel silencer???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Fast  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Would anybody happen to have a picture of a Fuel silencer??? Reply with quote

I am trying to fiqure out what part is the fuel silencer (aka fuel damper). The only part i could see it being is a fuel filter that is attached behind the fuel pump, and attached ahead of the tank. Is the damper the filter???? (also, is there a fuel pump in the tank and outside??? its a 1979)
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 79 should have a fuel filter before the pump. There should be a 12mm line coming from the tank to pump. Wait, now that I think about it there was some sort of filter looking thing but it wasn't. I don't know its purpose. If you follow the line out of the pump it will loop up above the transaxle and this is were the "dampner" is. It also acts as a pressure resovoir.

Todd
DOCO  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the subject what are these ive been drinkin and i cant figure how to quote

/______\
[+]___[+]
\0 924 0/
[__]..[__]
"WEBB STR"
2Fast  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endwrench wrote:
I don't think the 79 should have a fuel filter before the pump. There should be a 12mm line coming from the tank to pump. Wait, now that I think about it there was some sort of filter looking thing but it wasn't. I don't know its purpose. If you follow the line out of the pump it will loop up above the transaxle and this is were the "dampner" is. It also acts as a pressure resovoir.

Todd
Are you sure the object past the fuel pump is the damper??? I thought that was the Fuel accumulator
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Fast  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC wrote:
Ok, mine does not look like that...Would you know how much a genuine one of those costs???
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Fast wrote:
Ok, mine does not look like that...Would you know how much a genuine one of those costs???

No

Says "VDO made in Germany" on one side and "opel 09 292 585" on the other.

Let us know what you find and the price.
2Fast  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC wrote:
2Fast wrote:

No

Says "VDO made in Germany" on one side and "opel 09 292 585" on the other.

Let us know what you find and the price.
Will do
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Fast wrote:
RC wrote:

That's a picture of a fuel filter, fitted between the intank and external fuel pump. I have one also but the outlet/inlet is on the ends instead of one on the side. You should be able to find that or something comparable at just about any parts store for a few dollars. They're pretty generic.

There is a picture of a fuel accumulator in this thread, http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=26390 if you scroll down. It is a canister-looking part with a small hex-head bolt visible at the bottom. When they go bad, you will ususally see fuel leaking from the hex head. It's tucked up above the rear suspension, about directly below where the bottom rear seat cushion would be located in the cabin.

My understanding, according to Haynes manual, is that the accumulator also does duty as a silencer or dampener to smooth out the pulses created by the fuel pump and quiet the noise. There is no separate part that is used for just a dampener, to the best of my knowledge.

Good Luck.
RC  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m confident that this is the part that haynes calls a silencer (muffler) or damper. It was fitted to my 77 and by the condition of the hose and clamps looked to be original. The dealer did not have a listing, probably since it was deleted on later models. However later models also had the in tank pump with a filter screen.

Wondered WTF was in it so cut it open to reveal a filter.
On one hand it would benefit having a coarser filter before the pump to screen out crap that may damage or jam the rollers. But then a blocked unit will cause fuel starvation problems particularly with the sensitive CIS. As my EFI with Pierburg pump is not nearly as critical would like to replace it.

The pressure damper(s) after the pump are a different item entirely, although it will smooth fluctuations and possibly reduce noise. Can`t say that I noticed any difference in pump noise from removing the silencer filter though. Certainly heaps quieter with the Pierburg.
agfisher  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=26247&highlight=

look at the 3rd post down. This is what my '77 looks like and I was told that this is a silencer or muffler.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agfisher wrote:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=26247&highlight=

look at the 3rd post down. This is what my '77 looks like and I was told that this is a silencer or muffler.

And if you look at the 5th post down,

924-76 wrote:
Yes, Haynes call it a fuel silencer but it's not. It's a pre-fuel pump filter, to protect you fuel pump. Good to have. I did the research with a Porsche dealer for this part about two years ago. It cost me 20$ to replace it."

Who's right; Haynes or Porsche? Don't know but that's good enough for me.

Personally, I think it serves both purposes.
agfisher  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Hook wrote:
Who's right; Haynes or Porsche? Don't know but that's good enough for me.

Personally, I think it serves both purposes.

I agree, from the picture of it opened up it obviously has some filtering properties. I'll have to see if it muffles anything. When I get this thing running again I'll try it with and without the part to see what it sounds like.
mgatlag  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 77.5 NA has one too and it is a silencer from what I've been told. Funny thing is, I still hear the pump! If the noise I hear is after it's been silenced, I'd hate to hear it without it.
'92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo - gone!!

Porsche... better than tea with Miss McGill
(Slap Shot)
924-76  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men, I have to call my plumber, I need one of those in my house, water is so noisy going through all those pipes…lol.
If you had an in-tank fuel pump, you would have a screen(filter) around it to protect. This is just the same thing out side the tank.
If some crape go in your tank, this 20$ filter will stop it before it blow you 250$ fuel pump. I believe it is a good investment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: