Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Driveline judder or fuel starvation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSen100  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Driveline judder or fuel starvation? Reply with quote

As I've put on an earlier thread, my 924's engine seems fine: smooth and no shortage of power. Economy also fine. Vibration doesn't seem to be the engine's fault.

One thing I notice is this: car judders badly in traffic.

When I'm crawling through traffic, there is a lot of judder as I'm letting the clutch out. (At first, I thought I'd left it in 3rd, not 1st, but this wasn't the case.) To keep going, I have to rev the engine hard and slip the clutch - not a great thing to keep having to do!

What could be causing it?
I thought the clutch might be on it's way out but the rest of the time, it seems fine. No sign of slip when changing gear. Garage thinks it's OK. Someone said 924S/944 often have a gearbox bearing problem - could that be relevant here?

I had another theory: fuel starvation. The fuel lines corroded through and the garage replaced them recently. Could it be that there is something wrong with the new lines that cause them to starve the engine of fuel under certain condition? I also get a smell of fuel when the tank is full to 3/4 full but I understand that is normal (but is it safe)?

Any ideas, anyone?
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car seems to do the same thing but of course I have abused the crap out of my tranny and I just figured that I broke a tooth on the ring gear. Now that someone else has the problem I'd say it's a fine tuning problem somewhere but I really don't know as I have not tracked down the problem on my own car. As far as the fuel smell goes it's normal but it's caused but the fuel filler line being old and deteriorated and it is quite an easy fix. If you like sniffing gas fumes and don't pass out too easily it should be fine otherwise change the piece out and your problem should go away.

-'83 Callaway 944 2.5L turbo, 300HP, 1 of 42 ever made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
manouchehr  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re judder Reply with quote

Have you been driving my car again!?

your description sounds just like my car. near perfect condition, everything smooth except this judder occasionally when letting out the clutch from standstill. judder might not even be the right word. its more like a violent shaking. it only seems to do this when the engine is hot, like when driving in bad traffic and not even all the time then.

same 3/4 tank smell too.

hop someone knows what's going on!
Sleykin  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the same. Mostly when backing up. I was told it is normal for these clutches. I got rid of most of the fuel smell by repairing the rear hatch seal. There was a gap about 2" long where the seal joined in back. I got a used seal and cut a piece to fit the gap.
edh  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuel smell is probably from the lines going from the filler to tank - they are accessible from inside the hatch. If you remove the metal cover & tighten up the jubilee clips it may help. (It did on mine)

Fumes through hatch seal are most noticeable when the sunroof is opened - creates lower pressure inside the car & sucks air in from the rear.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the judder sometimes too, when driving slower than the car wants to go. Just need to finesse the clutch, but no overreving needed in my case. I wonder if something in your clutch cable or mechanism isn't operating smoothly enough to allow a smooth partial engagement for slow, creeping-along driving. I have the hydraulic clutch, so I'm not familiar with the feel of the cabled clutch. The judder's got to be a combination of play in the driveline and a grabby, and maybe somewhat warped and worn clutch (and the amount of grabbiness constantly changes with temperature of the clutch itself as well as air temp and humidity). Try a partial engagement of the parking brake next time it happens (if you can remember to release it when the speed picks up again.)

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 944 does that in heavy hot traffic. Has done it for years. Finally the rubber clutch gave out.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine did it a lot less noticeably once I fixed the timing. The cam crank timing were off by about 3 degrees fixed that and it was a lot less noticeable.

-'83 Callaway 944 2.5L turbo, 300HP, 1 of 42 ever made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Duncan  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Any new insights in this 'judder' matter? Reply with quote

I am still very, very interested in any ideas about this 'judder when engaging clutch with hot engine issue' It seems not to be a very rare problem, which my car experiences too. My clutch is now two years old, and it just happens sometimes.

Maybe one of the experts can shine a light on the issue? What basically changes when the engine gets really hot?

Remaining worried,
Duncan
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch shudder can be caused by
warped flywheel.
bad clutch plate
bad pressure plate.
bad clutch bearing
worn torque tube end
there is a bearing to align the end of the torque tube- could be worn.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
Duncan  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,

I am sorry to keep whining about this, but it it the one thing that stands between having the engine rebuild or not (investing the cash that is), point is:

clutch plate is replaced with new
presure plate is replaced with new
release bearing is replaced with new
the bearing in the crankshaft end is replaced with new

all done by an expert mechanic, who has even taken apart the
whole clutch assembly after my complaints to inspect it (about one year after the initial repair) and show me that nothing was wrong (at no cost ).

Clutch is fine 99.9 % of the time, i.e. when the engine is at normal operation temp, but this judder or heavy vibration of the drivetrain only happens SOMETIMES, when the engine is really hot, like when driving in heavy traffic.

I just need someone who is willing to sit down and think really deeply, what actually happens with the drivetrain when the engine is really hot...
Duncan
RC  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the flywheel refaced as is recommended by all clutch manufacturers?

A glazed flywheel is the primary contributor to clutch shudder.

An expert mechanic should know that but may not be willing to admit it if it was his negligence. Or was it your economics?

Do some research at clutch sites tech info.

Roger
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor and tranny mounts shot?
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Duncan  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when the clutch was done I did not know anything about car mechanics, so did not know the flywheel should be refaced. I vaguely remember from the FAQ that it was advised against resurfacing the flywheel because normal shop machinery can not get a good enough surface finish, or am I wrong? Only with the second clutch disassembly the pilot bearing was replaced on my request, as it was not included in a 'regular clutch job'.

would the flywheel glazing have more effect when hot?

The right hand side motor mount and both tranny mounts (one of which was definitely shot) where replaced, because the mechanic identified those as a possible cause of the judder. It made no difference.

Duncan
RC  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refacing a flywheel should be a piece of cake for a GOOD machine shop with MODERN equipment.

Quote:
would the flywheel glazing have more effect when hot?

Apparently so. Also had this similar problem in a Mitsubishi some time ago, trying to cut corners. In this case a good rough up to the face with wet and dry made a big difference. Then some hard driving fixed it!

As has been suggested, faulty mounts will allow the engine or trans to hop. But youve eliminated that source.

I`m no clutch expert, merely someone who had learned by their previous mistakes. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable may suggest another possible cause. However clutch manufacturers recommend refacing for a reason.

Do some research yourself on the subject. Heres something for starters:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_clutch_replace/911_clutch_replace1.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1/bl714.htm
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/1872560
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/72970-clutch-chatter-anyone.html
http://www.automotive-clutches.com/basic_clutch_info.html

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: