Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

new to 924board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooper931  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: new to 924board Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum but have owned my porsche since 1995. I have done nothing to the car but drive it and for the last 4 years it's been sitting in my garage awaiting a new turbo. I found a rebuilt from windward performance for $ 300. put it in about a 2 two years ago and havent touched it since. (Ive been busy with war and all been in the 82nd airborne for the past six years) I finnally have a job were i have some more free time and really could use some help on what upgrades to get. I'm looking to race the car some weekends and still drive it on the street other weekends. I have plenty of mechanical experience and can handle most jobs on my own everything but major machine work. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well how far on the racing seen do you want to go, what are your goals for the car,

the cheapest and most effective thing to do is to lighten the car, ie remove all interior and strip the sound deadening material, install fiberglass/carbon fiber body panels, plexiglass hatch windshield and windows, maybe acid dip the car.

for safety and to add chassis rigidity a rollcage might be a good idea,

as per the engine, if you are looking for ultimate amounts of power out of it, lower the compression to say 7.0:1 w/ forged pistons and have the head o-ringed, get a wild cam, P&P, install a boost controller/modify the wastegate, and push alot more boost (1.5 bar/22PSI), add an IC wether front mounted or top, or a ai/water one, or if you are looking for a daily driver with mild power then o-ring the head P&P, mild cam grind, raise compression to 8.5:1 or 8.0:1 install an intercooler, get a low spooling turbo so you can get the power quicker, and run moderate boost say 12-14 PSI,

if going to be a track car, converting to a fuel cell

if you have an 1980 931 and you have 4bolt suspension (discxdrum) seriously consider converting to 5 bolt (disc/disc) suspension, stay with the smallest rim and lowest profile tire avalible to lessen the unsprung wieght and increase handling, and if you are seriously wanting to maximize the handling you could convert the front to dual arm arms up front and coil overs all around

just some suggestions, some are abit on the wild side though
cooper931  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Its a 1980 w/the 4 bolt suspension disc/drum brakes and a us version. I don't want to get really series in the racing scene however I know myself and will probrobly get invoved quite a bit once I start going. So a would like to start with a stable platform that would allow those future upgrades without changing any upgrades I've done to the car along the way. I am debating on tearing the car apart and rebuilding it with upgrades, or doing it piece by piece. I do know that it's been sitting there not running for a while and won't even start (fuel pump relay and gas went bad) so I have to drain the tank anyway and do some rewiring. just to get it running
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a brake upgrade to the four wheel disc, and an intercooler. That should be more than enough for you.
cooper931  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks do you know who makes the suspension upgrade or what donor car would be best to get this from. I would like to do an adjustable coilover suspension and would like all four wheel disc brakes.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the early 944 use disc all around and this is a dirct swap over, as for coil overs probably will require new shock and new springs and in the back some welding of perches and some reinforcement of a few areas
cooper931  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the brake master cylinder would need to be changed if I swap to the 944 all disc brakes. would i need a new Proportion valve to compensate from wheel cylinders to calipers?
cooper931  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt-racing.com does have fiberglass parts
Neil924  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep yep.

www.gt-racing.com/catalog/fullcat.htm
cooper931  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice neil924 how did you like there service was there a lot of trim work involved in fitting the panels?
Neil924  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted the direct link to their catalog. I bought my car with the body work finished. I have been told by a few DIYers that you can't get a body kit to fit with out a lot of work to get it just right. Ask Vince, he actually deserves a pat on the back. I just drive my car, nothing more.
cooper931  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ive decided with a little begging and barganing with the wife. Ive decided to do a tear down rebuild. (She acually is going to let me spend some of my money) So I imediatly went to the garage and started drawing up ideas. 5 hours later and the interior completely gutted and the motor halfway torn out. She came out and started complaining that I'm not spending enough time with her. So cleaned up will finish up next week and if I can figure out how to use this cammara will have Pics
Neil924  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooper931 wrote:
(She acually is going to let me spend some of my money)

Yeah, married life is fun,

"You won't get me into a ring... ever!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: