Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

differences between NA and Turbo shortblocks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compression 924 calculator.

http://924.terribly.fun/compression/
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
The compression 924 calculator.

http://924.terribly.fun/compression/

Doesn't seam to work very good.
But a euro compression NA engine with a 931 head ends up with 7.3:1. Terrible.
Head volume 19.5 cc

You would need to move the pistons up about 3 mm to compensate that.
Porsche 931 -79
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, it seems I, and some previous posters in this thread, have it wrong. I was under the impression that the NA piston was closer to a flat top and the NA head was more conventional (open combustion chamber). If the NA head is anywhere near zero volume, then using turbo pistons with a NA head would increase compression (reduced combustion chamber volume). Depending on the combination, there's a good chance you'd end up with more compression than you'd want, even for an all-out NA build. So I was probably right about it not being a combination that you'd want, but wrong about compression being too low.

Actually, looking at the 924 compression calculator, the US S2 pistons gives you a healthy compression for an aggressive NA build - 10.6:1 - I'd think that's still manageable on pump gas if you were careful. For a supercharged application, I don't think any combination of NA head and 931 pistons would be wise: the lowest you could get is 9.7:1. That would only work with racing gas or AVgas, or maybe water/methanol injection. Thicker head gaskets would only buy you a half point or so at most. One thing I do notice is a lot of deck clearance (6.5mm) on the NA engines. I can't say whether you'd run into valve or head clearance issues decking the block, or if one would be interested in going through the trouble, but depending on how much room you have to play with that, you might be able to dial any compression you'd want with a 931 head and NA pistons by decking the block. I'm just speculating of course; it could be you don't actually have that much piston-to-head or piston-to-valve clearance. You'd also have timing issues to sort through. But for someone looking to build a motor on the cheap with a good NA bottom end and 931 head, it might be a possibility.
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NA pistons are pretty close to flat with small relives for valves, the head is compleatly flat.
The Turbo pistons have a small dome if I remember correctly, so I'm not sure they would be compatable with a NA head anyway.

I run 1 bar of boost with the stock 9.3:1 on euro 98 octane pump gas. If you run e85 I think you can boost until the pistons leave the block....
Porsche 931 -79
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: