Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 stock boost levels /safe boost levels on stock internals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your English is awesome. I love that there are so many here that can communicate the way they do. Its truly impressive

I am in the same boat as you with the 82 931 and the water to air TMIC. I keep trying to fit heat exchange radiators that are too wide. I have been cutting down the tank on one side and also removed the stupid splitter in the tank so it acts like a normal radiator. Problem is its just a bit too wide and its wasting my precious time. Might just go with two and likely do the same with the CS until I find the limit of the TMIC. Then it will be front mount time
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those inlets and outlets are not where I would like to have them for the best fit, they seem to aff quite some height to it. If you're handy with the welder you can always cut the core and reweld. Mine came from Joakims car and i think it originates from a Volvo truck IC Its really as big as its possible to fit between the frame rails, and as tall as its possible to sneak up in front of the rad and not hang below the bumper.

Last edited by Cedric on Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
safe  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't a radiator shop make a custom one?
I remember meeting a guy that had one made in China for little money.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with a friend about oil squirters for piston cooling, and it got me wondering if anyone's thought about fitting them on a 931. A lot of diesels have them, and a growing number of gas engines. I'm not sure if it was ahead of its time or not, but I know the Mercedes OM617 turbos had squirters; NA 617s didn't. One big question would be if the oil pump could handle the extra demand. If that was a concern, you could use an auxiliary pump - could even set it up to only pump under boost. Anyway, it's not something I'm likely to attempt (not at this stage) - it'd only make sense on a top dollar, custom build - but there could be potential for someone looking to go all out.
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
I was talking with a friend about oil squirters for piston cooling, and it got me wondering if anyone's thought about fitting them on a 931. A lot of diesels have them, and a growing number of gas engines. I'm not sure if it was ahead of its time or not, but I know the Mercedes OM617 turbos had squirters; NA 617s didn't. One big question would be if the oil pump could handle the extra demand. If that was a concern, you could use an auxiliary pump - could even set it up to only pump under boost. Anyway, it's not something I'm likely to attempt (not at this stage) - it'd only make sense on a top dollar, custom build - but there could be potential for someone looking to go all out.

All 924s has oil squirters from factory. The 911 got them in the early 1970s, so Porsche have been using them for a long time.

They are integrated into the rods on the 924.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
kondzi  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can weld aluminium (haven't for a half a year though), have a good AC/DC TIG welder, so adopting that IC shouldn't be that hard. The inlet / outlet will be at the bottom, as at top the bar for opening the headlights would collide. It looks good. Hope to make some cuts in the IC this week to position it at the final location.

As of squirters, I was replacing two of them in 964 crank case recently (stuck open), these use internal oil bus in the crankcase. This is an orifice (tube) with a small ball bearing and a pencil spring inside at one end. Below some pressure (idle) these are closed, when pressure gets higher these open and spray.
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A modern HD diesel engine pretty much melts it piston without oil squirters, they take away large amount of heat from the piston crown. The longer you plan on running on WOT the bigger the issues of course. Our cars dont put as high load on the pistons of course, and our squirters arent that precise. But i think they do some work if the use is lots of WOT.
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I see the 964 (and other Porsche sixes) use a jet similar to what I'm familiar with on MB diesels; I can't see how the 924 works, does it have an oil passage in the rod? I assumed it was just a typical bottom end since there's no jet directing oil at the piston. I don't suppose it's as effective as a directed jet, but it's got to help. Of course, with the tall stock piston, you have more area to dissipate heat into the cylinder, so maybe less need than with short, light, modern pistons. I assume you'd lose the oil cooling effect with aftermarket rods and pistons, in which case plumbing jets in would be a solution. Some diesels and performance-oriented gas engines definitely lean on that cooling - the compression ratios and power levels they're able to push through would be come with serious limitations otherwise. Like 12:1 compression on a Ford V8, on pump gas, or 270 HP from a 2.3L four-cylinder - in a truck. Not that it's realistic to match those numbers on a turn-key, pump gas 931, but 250 would be awesome, and even 225 would be cool if it could be done without harming engine life or making it more finicky.
kondzi  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the topic, I almost got IC in place. Still need to fabricate some mounts for the IC and radiator and probably change / chop slightly the inlet/outlet pipes, as due to the IC and radiator being at angle, the inlet/outlet pipes are just to low and take away to much clearance.

Maybe not much progress but at least something.
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, progress is progress. so this is something. Keep going! I know easy to say
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
Blow off valve is the least important, you can spend less on that.
If you want a recirculating one or dump to atmosphere is a personal preference, if you like the sound or not basically.

No BOV and recirculating BOV did not work for me with the K2726 hybrid. I had rev hang coming off the throttle and changing gears. I was forced to add a BOV and vent to atmosphere to loose the boost remaining in the intake and to stop the rev hang.
kondzi  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
safe wrote:
Blow off valve is the least important, you can spend less on that.
If you want a recirculating one or dump to atmosphere is a personal preference, if you like the sound or not basically.

No BOV and recirculating BOV did not work for me with the K2726 hybrid. I had rev hang coming off the throttle and changing gears. I was forced to add a BOV and vent to atmosphere to loose the boost remaining in the intake and to stop the rev hang.

Good hint, thanks!

In the meantime, after the last weekend when I took part in the Transaxle League, my motivation (and fortunately available time) went a bit up.

Worked a bit on the IC/radiator fitment and mounting points.
I still need to fabricate some nicer mounts using some vibration dumpers and cut/weld the intake/output pipes, but this sandwich fits nicely to the engine bay

Those intake/output pipes extend slightly below the front body panel, but are/will be slightly higher than the engine support / suspension.

The IC top is slightly below the bar of the headlight opening mechanism.

I need to reroute the bonnet opening linkage though

I welded on some additional reinforcement at top and mounts bor the IC-sandwitch and for the radiator to the IC.

This is how it looks...

And in the car...

'81 931 RoW (TBD)
kondzi  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again slowly, but progressing. Finished the mounts for the sandwich today and cut the inlet/outlet pipes off the IC by c.a. 4 inches. Now it will fit nicely.

The upper mounts it's nothing fancy, just a flat piece of aluminum hit with a hammer for a bend (radiator and IC are not vertical, therefore I had to compensate for that).

For a moment I even thought of fabricating these on CNC, but I will just paint them black in the end probably.

I used two rubber "connectors" to mount these to the body for each of the mounts, so the sandwich will be "suspended" and not flexing with the body of the car.

I did similar rubber mounts in the bottom as well, but using only 2 of those rubber connectors in the place of the stock mounting points.

Hopefully tomorrow I will find time to disassemble IC/radiator and do some welding. Here holding by hand the pieces to weld.

I will need to detach the compressor side and turn the outlet downwards.

And here with the inlet/outlet pipes chopped

In general I'm happy with the fitment. Looks quite stock at glance.
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
kondzi  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed CIS today, so much room there now

I started sorting out where I should install the injectors. The problem I see is that when in stock location, the injectors ports would need machining (I can do it on my own fortunately), but this means I need to remove the head...

If I remove the head, then the saga of Mike's journey might be needed to re-read few times again

No way EFI injector would fit deep enough to spray nicely. I was thinking either about fabricating plugs for the stock injectors' ports and adding EFI injectors in the VW 1.8T manifold stock location, or removing head and doing proper machining.

I'm really on the fence about this...
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres some long tip injectors available, like some ev14 injectors, check those out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: