Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 (Woody) project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob, you hit it right on when you said it's a masochist's car! I've finally got the turbo buttoned up on mine, and it occurs to me that if you own a 931 and love it, you either have a very competent and patient mechanic, or you've got masochistic streak in you somewhere. I've wondered about that in myself... It's very rare I need help with anything mechanical - bleeding brakes and clutch hydraulics are usually the only thing - but I couldn't get through the turbo job on my own. I've pulled the transfer case and transmission and changed the clutch on my truck by myself (using a transmission jack, of course, but still), and pulled the engine and transmission from my Mercedes. But I had to get a neighbor to thread in and snug up the manifold to turbine bolts while I held the turbo in place. Trying to do that with one hand holding the turbo and the other fumbling with the bolts only resulted in a lot of anguish and words I shouldn't be using... Then there's the oil lines you have to tweak or flex in just the right way to get threads started, the wastegate mount that you have to get positioned just right and the vent line that you have to position at just the right angle. I kept thinking of a line from The Big Bang Theory where somebody mentions a job for Tinkerbell's gynecologist.

But enough grousing on that. I need to change the shifter bushings on my car, and I'm curious if it's bad enough of a job that cutting an access would actually save time. If it's similar to the turbo, where it's a matter of getting a couple extensions and swivel sockets together (funny how my collection of extensions and swivel sockets has grown), then I can grin and bear it. Of course, there's a chance the transaxle will need to come out sooner or later, and it sounds like this helps there too. I suppose there's some penalty to pay in chassis integrity (but probably fairly small unless one were to go overboard on the size of the access), and resale could be affected. My car is a long way from being in good enough shape to gain collector value, but being a turbo and part of the introductory run, there will be value in keeping it original if I get far enough on a full-on restoration.

On the radiator, I'd agree that a cheap China chintz piece is often more trouble than it's worth. I put a pretty cheap parallel-flow condenser on my 560SEL a year and a half ago, and it did away with the problem of mounts that don't line up by simply not coming with most of them! I'm surprised that RockAuto would sell it, because the electric fans mount to brackets on the original (tube-and-fin, and highly inefficient) condenser, so short of just kind of hanging them in there, and probably having them get broken or break something else as a result, you have to do some fabrication. It's not a bad deal for what it is, but I wouldn't call it a replacement part. With that kind of thing, I'd rather get a core that'll fit and make my own mounts, or pony up for a well-made upgraded replacement. I'll have to take a look at the CSF piece in case I decide to upgrade down the road. I've spotted what I'm pretty sure is a '79 date stamp on my radiator; it would seem it's original to the car. That's pretty remarkable considering the crossmember, oil pan, and lower valiance or air dam or whatever you call it all have battle scars from who knows how many instances of being run over things. I should probably have it boiled out at least, but I've got at least six months before I should have any worries about cooling!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth, yeah. It's nice to have a helping hand on this car for sure. Sometimes I wonder why I do it to myself.

As far as bleeding brakes, I have found that a leakdown style setup works wonders. I got a pressure regulator with a gauge, set between 5-10psi -- but no more! -- and a Motive bleeder cap and I am able to do the brakes on my own just by applying some air pressure and ensuring I have enough fluid in the reservoir of course. It goes real quick so be careful! This works much better in my experience than the pull/suck style adapters that you pump. Bonus for me too, as it works on both 924s and my Vanagon.

So yesterday I buttoned up the radiator plumbing and got that filled (though not fully bled yet). Between the 924S and 924 hoses I was able to plumb everything securely. I also got the clips I was waiting on, for the shifter. Runs through the gears perfectly as I expected. So nice, and hopefully will stay that way!

I was not able to get the car started however, I believe due to old fuel. I am going to siphon out as much as I can store today and then add some fresh premium gas and a bottle of Techron and see where that leaves me.

Last thing is, as it's been sitting I have noticed some oil spots accumulate slowly over the last year. At the very least it appears I have a pan gasket to replace. I am hoping not more than that as it seems to be all located in that area roughly. Maybe front and rear main seals. Nothing in particular off to the side where the turbo oil lines are.. I may put it off as it does not look too bad, and just ensure there's a piece of cardboard underneath for now. But on a +40yr old car with unknown history, who knows if any of that's ever been changed.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was about 46°F and bright sunny so it was time to pull the car cover off and see what I was working with.

So my buddy cranked and I sprayed starting fluid in.. no love. I thought to myself maybe the plugs are off somehow. I swapped them around 180° and nothing; then back 90° and boom it fired off nearly right away.

We then bled the cooling system and the brakes and took it for a spin. Went to the gas station for a fill up and it drove so nice. I forgot how hard this thing pulls once boost kicks in. On a nice cool day too, it was just asking for more. All the gears felt just fine; second was the same as the rest. Fingers crossed it doesn't go out on me again and I will granny shift and play nice for it..

Well, today is also a nice day pushing the same temps so I will probably be out there tinkering a bit.. I forgot the turn signals are not working, among other things.

I need to take it for an alignment as well; I replaced the front struts in 2021 while the transmission was out.
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to read about you enjoying the 931.
Already miss mine quite a bit..and i have months to wait until i get it back.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

931 has been out a few times since Feb 20, but mostly under its cover. The last time I tried to start it didn't want to fire up.. Starter (solenoid) is no good.

Without thinking it through fully, I bought a WOSP gear reduction starter. Physically it fits but the connections are on the opposite side and so none of the wires reach. Additionally it has a single small wire connection instead of the two that the Bosch has.

Then I realized Sunday as I was working on this that I have a starter that will work in the parts 924S! So we went to pull it, cleaned it up a bit, and popped it in. Car fired right up. Yes!

Drove around the block a couple times to get it up to temp and realized the fans are not turning on. That began chasing electrical issues. Also headlights have never worked on this thing, nor turns, etc.. Lots of non operational stuff here.

So my friend and I started on this. Immediately apparent once we actually looked closely is that the wires on the driver side headlight one was completely severed and the other two were nearly so -- very frayed -- and so redid that side and got that side to light up. The other side was more complicated, as the connection had more resistance and in strange places. It seemed to be inside the small pigtail at the end. I could not get that one to light reliably. I have some connectors coming and I am going to redo all the lights and relay them.

Many relays are missing as well as multiple switches in the interior, including the hazard switch through which the current flows for turn indicators. I have a box of misc switches and relays from 924 which Dan passed along to me recently. I will have to dig through it and catalog to find what I need..

It gave me much more room to work on the headlights to remove the motor and bar. I got some brackets to set them up to be fixed open or closed. Grounds on either side of the frame up there also got cleaned up, and on the ignition box.

Little bit at a time I will make this 931 more reliable. It sure is fun to take it out around my area. There are some good curvy roads and even with its low boost, it feels so engaging. I like to hear the turbo noise and also the noise from the gearbox. Very enjoyable to drive this car.
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob, I've got my 931 up on jackstands, just finished refreshing the rear axle (new wheel cylinders, bearings flushed and repacked, CV joints flushed and re-greased with new boots, plus some other bits), and I need to tackle the shifter bushings and probably the ball socket on the back of the auxiliary shift rod. I'm really tempted to cut an access like you did - it just looks like it'd be an exercise in frustration trying to do anything with that as it sits. I'd consider dropping the transaxle, but really don't want to do that now because it'd probably mean another week or two before I could drive it, and even if I end up having to, I'd much rather do it down the road in the shop I'm building. I hesitate though, because the car is so original (despite having suffered some bumps, bruises, and mechanical malpractice at the hands of previous owner(s)). I could do a good job of it - no concerns about how to cut it out and finding a way to reinstall it and seal it - but I'm just wondering if there's a third option, or if this is something I'll find myself wishing I had before long if I don't do it now.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a good answer; what did you end up doing?

I think working on the 931 is just an exercise in frustration no matter what, so I have to breathe deep and work on my acceptance.

---

This past week I was working on testing the rewired front loom -- that went well, and in the process decided to pull the dash to ensure that I don't have any loose connections down there, clean up grounds, etc. I am removing extraneous wires from this now, for the power windows and mirrors, for the AC, and also cleaning out and replacing the foam for the heater box and ducting. With spare wires removed and ductwork touched up I will reinstall the dash and work on... I don't know what next. Maybe driving the damn thing!

I like the Boost Brothers brackets for the headlights, but they need to be angled differently than they came out of the box; and they're not so kind when you want to pop them in, which is good as the metal is stiff and holds them in the correct spot when they are up.. It's nice not having the rotating bar and motor assembly though.
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey I'm interested in a headlight bracket like that, where did you get it from?
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:
I wish I had a good answer; what did you end up doing?

I think working on the 931 is just an exercise in frustration no matter what, so I have to breathe deep and work on my acceptance.

---

Sorry, this slipped through the cracks, but I ended up doing... nothing. The shifter is pretty bad, honestly, but 70% of the time I hit the right gear every time, and with only so much summer left, I decided to just drive around it for the time being. When I do decide to tackle it, what I'm thinking now is I'll try to take the transmission out by conventional means, but if that gets too frustrating, I'll cut the "hatch." If I pull it all apart, I'll definitely modify the secondary shaft for a heim joint in addition to the shifter bushings, so I hopefully won't have any reason to go in again for a good long while. I'm sure the next aggravation will be how long I can put up with a worn second gear syncro and basically no first gear syncro, but I'm having fun for now!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headlight bracket came from Boost Brothers Garage.

---

I know the feeling about doing nothing heh. I have not done anything to this car since removing the dash.. I've had other stuff going on and my wife's car to work on which takes priority over any of the projects.

Maybe I'll get more done this fall. I have foam to touch up the ductwork and the heater box, and I need to pull the wires for power windows and mirrors as well before I put the dash back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: