Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Where to Find Replacement Front Brake Calipers 48mm 4-lug
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agfisher  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in this. Have a 77 that I'm trying to get on the road this year and I have a bad feeling about the units on the car right now.

Adam
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got sidetracked and have not proceeded, sorry for the delay!

I am confident it will work, I also need to change the brake hoses, so I stopped. Also I have been gathering front suspension parts to do a full rebuild when I take it all apart.
1981 Weissach Edition #179
Nobbi  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always understand that the front brakes are standard VW Golf (Rabbit in the ROW) Brakes. Did you checked those?
agfisher  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this? Curious minds want to know!
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious too! It'd be good to know what parts interchange with the Golf (looks like the calipers are the same, but the Golf rotor and hub are separate, where the 924 is integral). I imagine if my project car pans out, I'll gather the parts for a M471 brake package, but I'm just working on getting it road-worthy for the time being. Also, I'm sure the M471 upgrade is a good idea for a car that'll be driven aggressively, but may be more a "nice to have" than essential, depending on the kind of driving the car sees.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
I'm curious too! It'd be good to know what parts interchange with the Golf (looks like the calipers are the same, but the Golf rotor and hub are separate, where the 924 is integral). I imagine if my project car pans out, I'll gather the parts for a M471 brake package, but I'm just working on getting it road-worthy for the time being. Also, I'm sure the M471 upgrade is a good idea for a car that'll be driven aggressively, but may be more a "nice to have" than essential, depending on the kind of driving the car sees.

If it isn't a track car it's pretty much a nice to have thing. Won't stop you any quicker, but it will get rid of the spongy feeling that always come with the drums, and no constant adjustments either
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the VW calipers on the car!! No big deal, bolt on. I had the car at a shop doing the rest of suspension and brakes etc...

I will take some pics and get them uploaded. But it works.
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of that and how it turns out. There are a few different calipers from VW that have the appropriate piston bore (48mm); I wouldn't have thought any would be a bolt-on, but I can see how that'd be possible. I believe the actual caliper interchanges with some 70's Audis, I think the Audi 100/5000. I did a lot of digging when I couldn't find caliper repair kits. I've got one of my calipers rebuilt, but haven't got around to tearing into the other one. The big show-stopper may be the pistons. If you dig around, you can find some 48mm VW/Audi pistons, but the later ones are definitely different.

I did find that a caliper repair kit for a late 80s Golf is workable, although I didn't end up using it. The inner seal fit perfectly. The outer seal will fit on and probably work, but protrudes above the piston (when the piston is all the way down, anyway), and might melt from the heat of the brake pad. Also, no plastic slider pieces with that kit. I got it from Napa for $5, Napa part number 1644. A more correct kit is one that's available for the 70's Audis - several brands available on RockAuto, just make sure it's for a 48mm piston - but again, no sliders with those. After I'd put the first caliper together, I stumbled across a Centric brand kit, part number 143-33006 so I went ahead and ordered a pair. It comes with the sliders and metal ring for the outer seal, in addition to the two seals, and the outer seal at lest had the ATE logo, so at least that, and possibly the whole thing, are sourced from ATE.

Anyway, if the VW calipers fit and function properly, that will save a lot of trouble, but I wouldn't give up on the original ones unless they're rusted out. The soft parts at least are available. Ultimately, it'd be nice to find a way to upgrade to at least vented disks at the front using common parts, and a rear disk option would be nice too. On the front, it seems an early-90s VW Passat rotor would be a good fit (matches the OD almost exactly), except you'd either need to cut down an existing hub or have one custom made (both too expensive); another possibility is a from a 4-lug 80's Mustang - has the right bolt circle and similar OD, but the hub is still a problem. One intriguing possibility would be to cut the rotor itself off the hub, then machine it to accept a bolt-on rotor like this: https://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorProd?itemno=160-3450%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&appid=0 Just some thoughts I've had on this... It's a "so close, but so far" situation because you could probably do it for a few hundred dollars (split between new rotors and pads, junk yard raiding, and some machine work), but you'd probably spend a lot of time and hit several dead ends before you arrived at a working solution, and you'd also want to avoid throwing the front-rear brake bias off. For now at least, finding the parts for the M471 swap makes more sense, but unless you really luck out, that's not cheap or easy either.
agfisher  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if any of you have found this but I located a 4 lug rebuild kit with pistons that I picked up.

https://wooliesworkshop.com/collections/porsche-924-brakes-1/products/porsche-924-2-0-4-stud-front-caliper-service-kit-including-2-x-47mm-pistons

I haven't tried the kit yet so can't report on the quality but will once i getvto the front brakes.

Adam
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept the originals for rebuilding later. New calipers are smooth, no issues, feels stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: