Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Clutch pedal not returning all the way

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Clutch pedal not returning all the way Reply with quote

STRANGE.

Have new clutch master and slave cylinders, and all new brake fluid flushed early this year.

Suddenly last week pedal isn't returning to the up position always. Sometimes barely comes off the floor.

If I pull it up with my toe, it will sometimes stay up for a while. It is intermittent.

What's really weird is that even when it's barely off the floor, if I press it to the floor it still fully disengages the clutch, and shifts are fine.

Yes, brake fluid reservoir is full.

Anyone have a clue what's going on? Need to bleed slave again?

Seems so weird that it is intermittent. Sometimes pedal comes all the way up and works normally. Sometimes only 1/2 way. Sometimes barely off floor.

TIA,

GN
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah bleeding..

Some bleed it from the bottom up with a pressure bleeder..
I just left my bleed screw open for quite some time letting it drain through and never had a problem..
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had good luck with a motive power bleeder.

It’s those air bubbles. I finally pushed enough fluid through the system to get them out…then worked like new.

Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, definitely bleed it again. One trick I've found for a poor man's power brake bleeder is to use a air blower chuck with a rubber tip to apply pressure to the reservoir through the air bleed hole. Obviously turn the regulator down real low: you want just enough pressure to get the fluid to move (I'd guess around 5 PSI). Hopefully it's just an air bubble in just the wrong spot. Mine has a sort of functional master and slave cylinder, and I've noticed that it'll do something similar unless you step on the pedal with some force. If you slowly push it in, it'll suck itself halfway down every time; stomp on it, and it works and releases normally every time. Not too surprising since they had some pitting when I tore into them; I tried a DIY hone on the master and slave cylinder, but apparently that wasn't enough (the rubber pieces looked fine). Will be replacing those shortly once I finally get the title back and can legally drive it.

Anyway, I mostly bring it up as a possible way of diagnosing a bad master cylinder. One last thing: sometimes the DIY bleeders work great, but clutch hydros especially seem tricky until I get someone to do it the old fashioned way. I don't have a proper power bleeder, of course, but I've tried the check valve bleeder fittings and the sealed catcher setups that are supposed to keep air from getting back in. They all promise easy, one-man bleeding, but they're about 50-50 in practice. Worth a try, assuming you have a willing assistant, before you start tearing into it.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - but air in line does not explain:

1. Clutch has worked fine for 6 months, change happened suddenly. We did original bleeding on new slave and master cylinders the old fashioned way: pumper on pedal, me underneath.

2. Problem is intermittent. Comes and goes. This would not happen with air in line. How could pedal come back up to normal with air in line?

3. I have the vacuum bleeding unit from Harbor Freight and it works great. Sucks air out & new fluid in. I'll try that first.

4. Even when pedal is almost on floor, with about 2" of travel - clutch dis-engages fully and gears shift normally. I find this amazing.

I can then lift pedal back to normal position with my toe, and then it will work normally for a while. I cannot explain that - does not make sense.

GN
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the clutch slip when you drive and rev it to the red line?
Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
vacuum bleeding unit from Harbor Freight

I know which one you're talking about and they don't get a good enough seal on the bleed screw nipple to really get all the air out. I have used one to get probably 85% bled but there's always more air than I want. You really want a motive-style or leakdown type of bleeder, to force fluid into the system from the reservoir side.

I made my own with a motive cap for the VW style reservoir, a clear line, and an air regulator. Similar to what Beartooth mentioned but with a cap instead of rubber tip. I would not recommend running more than 5-7psi this way, hence the regulator trimmed almost closed. Careful about keeping the reservoir topped off as well, as it'll go quicker than you think!

Cap I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q6UHQK
Regulator w/ gauge: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDCYKEY

I put the cap & hose w/ fitting on one side of the regulator, and a male end air fitting on the other. Then I can just hook an air hose onto it from my compressor and voila, pressure bleeder.

This cap works fine on my Vanagon which I bought it for -- very long brake and clutch lines make me want to never manually bleed brakes ever again -- and fits well on to the 924 reservoir as well.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clutch slip.

Problem seems to have disappeared on its own. Strange. Pedal now comes all the way up all the time, about 3/4" play in pedal before clutch hits, 3" of travel or so and clutch is fully disengaged as it should be.

Can't see how it could have been air if it is no longer there and I did not do anything.

Weird.

GN

Dutch924-racer wrote:
Does the clutch slip when you drive and rev it to the red line?

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea - thank you.

The problem with the vacuum bleeder is that as there is no seal around the threads of the bleeder screw, and the vacuum draws a lot of air in from around the threads.

This air, however, does not mix in the line itself, as it is past the end of the line. It just produces a lot of bubbles in the fluid that is coming out.....a vacuum is still pulling on the brake line itself, and the line itself is purged completely of air.

I've followed my vacuum bleeds sometimes with old-fashioned 2-person bleeds and found no air in the lines.

A solution I may try is to put a small O-ring around the bleeder screw - but not sure how I'd maintain that seal as the screw is rotated to loosen it.

But I do far prefer the pressure on top approach.

GN

jacobroufa wrote:
Quote:

I know which one you're talking about and they don't get a good enough seal on the bleed screw nipple to really get all the air out. I have used one to get probably 85% bled but there's always more air than I want. You really want a motive-style or leakdown type of bleeder, to force fluid into the system from the reservoir side.

I made my own with a motive cap for the VW style reservoir, a clear line, and an air regulator. Similar to what Beartooth mentioned but with a cap instead of rubber tip. I would not recommend running more than 5-7psi this way, hence the regulator trimmed almost closed. Careful about keeping the reservoir topped off as well, as it'll go quicker than you think!

I put the cap & hose w/ fitting on one side of the regulator, and a male end air fitting on the other. Then I can just hook an air hose onto it from my compressor and voila, pressure bleeder.

This cap works fine on my Vanagon which I bought it for -- very long brake and clutch lines make me want to never manually bleed brakes ever again -- and fits well on to the 924 reservoir as well.

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob -

Just ordered the cap w/hose. Will use sprayer can/pump for pressure. Problem finally came back and stayed after being intermittent.

Original bleed was manual - old fashioned way - one person on pedal, another below on bleed screw. Both cylinders are new, reservoir full - no idea where air in line could come from.

Clutch still works - but all in the last 2" to the floor.

Thanks to all.

GN

jacobroufa wrote:
Quote:

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received mine yesterday - cap & hose only - using my own pressure spray tank with pressure gauge I put inline.

As my 914 w/o engine is on my lift, I'll need to jack the 931 up to get under it to do the bleeding.

THANKS!

GN

chuck21401 wrote:
I had good luck with a motive power bleeder.

It’s those air bubbles. I finally pushed enough fluid through the system to get them out…then worked like new.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: