Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Picked up this '80 931 yesterday!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
morghen  



Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 8666
Location: Romania

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have is already pretty good.
I run the following:

-26mm front sway bar
-18mm rear sway bar
-275Nmm front springs
-200Nmm rear springs (added to the existing torsion bars)
-complete set of polyurethane bushings

This transforms the car once again, one step up.



Gatornapper wrote:
Morghen -

New tires radically changed my steering.

What springs & sway-bars specifically are you suggesting?

My F/R anti-sway bars are 23mm/17mm.

Steering now is quick and light at anything above 5mph.

GN


morghen wrote:
Never driven a 914, i would like to but none close to me. But i suspect they are a mix between my Cayman and my 924.
The 924 really suffers from the need of a faster easier steering...if it had that..would be fantastic. But you can make up that handicap by having proper springs and sway bars on it...it transforms the car like you would not believe it.

_________________
https://www.the924.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beartooth  



Joined: 05 Apr 2022
Posts: 82
Location: Roberts, MT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatornapper, we must be related somehow. Not just because we stumbled onto the exact same car (US introductory model 931; mine's the same color scheme, interior, and four-lug wheel, disk/drum setup), but I'm also a runner and built my own log house. Sounds like you've got a few more years on me, but what's that in the grand scheme? Glad to hear your car's working so well. Unfortunately, I've got further to go with mine: it didn't actually sit as long, but from what I gather, it wasn't in great running shape when it was parked. I'm fairly certain the last guy to drive it wasn't too skilled or knowledgeable, and I don't see much indication of proactive maintenance. But hopefully I'll get there! I keep worrying I'll find some big show-stopper, but nothing so far. Anyway, it's pretty cool that two of virtually the same cars (out of 600 made) would show up at the same time!
_________________
1980 931 diamond in the rough
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatornapper  



Joined: 23 Oct 2021
Posts: 292
Location: VA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT -

Hmm...that is amazing. Yes, all the introductory models were the same. Only variance was some had the M471 Sport Pkg. with 16" 5-lug Fuch's wheels & rear disc brakes. Sway bars the same.

Love to see some pics of your car and log home! BTW, our logs came from Victor, MT from extinct Glu-Lam-Log Company, wood is beautiful dead-standing Canadian Lodgepole Pine. Logs look like the day we laid them 22 years ago!. Each log is an ANSI-Std. stamped structural beam - they don't shrink, warp, twist or crack.

I miss running so much, am now 25 lbs. overweight and even walking distance can be a problem. Hate that after being fit most of my life. I still cycle occasionally.

What's the serial number on your car? They began with 93A015000 or 5001.

Last owner of my car wasn't that skilled or knowledgeable either, nor was he good on maintenance. Had car from about '85 to last Nov. - car needed tons of stuff. Think I have about 250 hours in it now.

GN



Beartooth wrote:
Gatornapper, we must be related somehow. Not just because we stumbled onto the exact same car (US introductory model 931; mine's the same color scheme, interior, and four-lug wheel, disk/drum setup), but I'm also a runner and built my own log house. Sounds like you've got a few more years on me, but what's that in the grand scheme? Glad to hear your car's working so well. Unfortunately, I've got further to go with mine: it didn't actually sit as long, but from what I gather, it wasn't in great running shape when it was parked. I'm fairly certain the last guy to drive it wasn't too skilled or knowledgeable, and I don't see much indication of proactive maintenance. But hopefully I'll get there! I keep worrying I'll find some big show-stopper, but nothing so far. Anyway, it's pretty cool that two of virtually the same cars (out of 600 made) would show up at the same time!

_________________
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatornapper  



Joined: 23 Oct 2021
Posts: 292
Location: VA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sounds sweet Morghen!

Hope to add polyurethane bushings soon, and maybe a 26mm front sway bar.

Where might I find one?

Don't your stiffer springs raise the height of the car?

GN

morghen wrote:
What you have is already pretty good.
I run the following:

-26mm front sway bar
-18mm rear sway bar
-275Nmm front springs
-200Nmm rear springs (added to the existing torsion bars)
-complete set of polyurethane bushings

This transforms the car once again, one step up.



Gatornapper wrote:
Morghen -

New tires radically changed my steering.

What springs & sway-bars specifically are you suggesting?

My F/R anti-sway bars are 23mm/17mm.

Steering now is quick and light at anything above 5mph.

GN


morghen wrote:
Never driven a 914, i would like to but none close to me. But i suspect they are a mix between my Cayman and my 924.
The 924 really suffers from the need of a faster easier steering...if it had that..would be fantastic. But you can make up that handicap by having proper springs and sway bars on it...it transforms the car like you would not believe it.

_________________
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beartooth  



Joined: 05 Apr 2022
Posts: 82
Location: Roberts, MT

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatornapper wrote:
BT -

Hmm...that is amazing. Yes, all the introductory models were the same. Only variance was some had the M471 Sport Pkg. with 16" 5-lug Fuch's wheels & rear disc brakes. Sway bars the same.

Love to see some pics of your car and log home! BTW, our logs came from Victor, MT from extinct Glu-Lam-Log Company, wood is beautiful dead-standing Canadian Lodgepole Pine. Logs look like the day we laid them 22 years ago!. Each log is an ANSI-Std. stamped structural beam - they don't shrink, warp, twist or crack.

I miss running so much, am now 25 lbs. overweight and even walking distance can be a problem. Hate that after being fit most of my life. I still cycle occasionally.

What's the serial number on your car? They began with 93A015000 or 5001.

Last owner of my car wasn't that skilled or knowledgeable either, nor was he good on maintenance. Had car from about '85 to last Nov. - car needed tons of stuff. Think I have about 250 hours in it now.

GN


Sorry to leave you hanging, Gatornapper! I didn't have anywhere set up to share the pictures, and got distracted, but I finally set something up, and hope to be back to work on the Porsche and getting it running soon.

Here's a couple pics:



Sounds like you've put a lot of time into your car! I'll probably be somewhere around that just to get mine to where I can drive it. The VIN ends 594, so it was one of the last of the introductory run. It really doesn't make much sense that they sold them with the old brake setup. You'd think it would help sell it as the more premium model, and more important, the extra brakes are a good idea. If I keep going down the rabbit-hole, I'll probably upgrade to the newer brakes, but I'm not planning on autocrossing it or anything, so I can probably live with what it's got. Your car was still probably better taken-care-of than mine... The worst thing the previous owner did was leaving the fuel filter undone, thereby leaving the fuel system open. That gummed everything up terribly; I had to go inside the fuel distributor and flush out every fuel line and component. But everything seems to be cleaning up well so far.

My initial thought on my car was to paint it a louder color. A pearl yellow with black accents seems like it would set the car off nicely. But now, knowing it's more rare, I'm a little more hesitant. Sadly, despite the rarity, it doesn't look like it makes economic sense to do a full restoration, and I'd have to dump some big money on the interior and a few other things. Still, it'd be a lot easier decision to attack it like a younger version of myself if it were just a bog-standard 924. Decisions, decisions. Even in the best case though, that would probably end up being a winter project, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Anyway, here's a couple shots of the house.



Unfortunately, those are a couple years old, I think from before I even moved in. I'll have to pull some newer ones off my camera when I get a chance. You definitely got the premium log kit for your house! I've heard the name of Glu-lam before. A family friend, who I bought the logs from, used to sell Real Log Homes, just to name another that's gone under. Now he sells Yellowstone Log Homes out of Rigby ID, which is where mine came from. They're good quality, but just milled 8" Swedish cope. If I ever get crazy enough to try it again and have a lot of time and fair bit of money on my hands, I think I'll get a mini sawmill setup and several truck-loads of Lodgepole pine, then mill and fit them all together myself. That would be really cool. But it would be, for just me at least, probably a five-year project. As I understand it, if you do it that way, you have to let the logs season a couple years on site, then stack them and wait another year or two for them to settle before you can finish building. That said, if you know what you're doing, you can create the very best and most distinctive log home imaginable!
_________________
1980 931 diamond in the rough
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatornapper  



Joined: 23 Oct 2021
Posts: 292
Location: VA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth -

Wow! First the car - yes, mine is in incredibly good condition, inside and out, engine & suspension. Drives like new car. Love it.

House - I couldn't stand to be out in the middle of the prairie with no trees for protection! NAKED! Our house is in the midst of heavy hardwood forest, most untouched for over 100 years.

AND NO KIT! Kits are a RIP-OFF by the log home industry taking advantage of the public's ignorance. 40 years as commercial builder/designer, I just bought logs and beams.

And yes, you have the requirements down for using your own logs - YEARS of waiting. Also, you should get DEAD STANDING Canadian Lodgepole pine. That will minimize the waiting/drying, etc.

Some pics:









Big house? I have 8 kids. 2 of my sons & I built the house with our own hands. Older one became an electrician & manager for large commercial electrical contractor. Younger one got Civil Engineering degree and is PE and Structural Engineer designing largest bridges in Virginia. So proud of both.

GN
_________________
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatornapper  



Joined: 23 Oct 2021
Posts: 292
Location: VA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - double post - deleted.
_________________
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......


Last edited by Gatornapper on Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatornapper  



Joined: 23 Oct 2021
Posts: 292
Location: VA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple post!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beartooth  



Joined: 05 Apr 2022
Posts: 82
Location: Roberts, MT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GN - I (perhaps erroneously) refer to my logs as a "kit," I guess because a dealer put the order together rather than my ordering piece by piece out of a catalog. Very different than the custom log kits that some people pay outrageous prices for. How much of a rip-off it is depends on your perspective, I suppose, but a good builder can achieve the same results for much cheaper.

Anyway, you have a beautiful house! I love the multi-level setup and daylight basement; seems we think alike on that. My house is far bigger than I need at present since I'm the sole occupant, but I'm still hoping that'll change; I'm definitely glad I didn't try for any bigger since it's already been a stretch of my time and budget. Still, if twenty years down the road I find myself with more time and money than sense, I might get a load of dead-standing lodgepole and go to town!

As for being on the prairie vs. in the trees, that's partly different strokes... I grew up here and love open spaces; back when I lived in WA, I sometimes felt a little claustrophobic in all those trees. But they're thick there, and it's made worse by the frequent cloudiness. The biggest thing I don't like about my location is that there is nothing to stop the wind when it's howling. Hopefully some day I'll have enough water to get some trees going for a windbreak. The view is what makes it all worth it though. I love the mountains, and while practicality pushes me to live nearby rather than in them, I've gotta at least have a view and fairly quick access.



_________________
1980 931 diamond in the rough
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatornapper  



Joined: 23 Oct 2021
Posts: 292
Location: VA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand - Big Sky country is addicting for those who grew up on it.

My big issue too would be exposure - I love the protection of the forest. We have plenty of sunlight around our house and on our property - partially cleared 6 of our 15 acres for partially-shaded pasture & paddocks for horses, but daughters, all mature adults, have no time for horses in their lives as when they were young.

I grew up in suburbs of Indianapolis - flat land, cornfields with occasional small patches of forest. Very monotonous. Moved to Virginia when I met my wife in '72, stunned by how heavily forested the state is. "WHO owns all this forested land?" I was used to land having to be productive, income-producing.

Now, by the grace of God, we own over 20 acres of that heavy forest - and love it. A walk through an old forest is therapeutic, cleansing, refreshing. The drive to our home is 1/2 mile twisty, rolling, through heavy forest and after 40 years, never boring.

But I do love the mountains more than here. We are rolling hills below mountains, but if I could, I'd live on a river in the VA mountains...or have a mountain home. Our family did have a mountain home at the Wintergreen Resort from '87 to '97 & it was wonderful, 12 months a year.
_________________
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group