Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Billet aluminium hubs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Yes, those are the ones. They do them in 5x130 for porsche wheels which would make life easier. They are way too in-board for standard wheels and brake discs etc. I have 9J rears (245 40 17 tyres) with the standard narrow 924 arches and they just fit under with no rubbing. The wheels are +38 offset IIRC.

The disc is ‘floating’ as you say, being clamped between the hub and the wheel. The fiat ducato front brake discs have an offset which puts them pretty close to the stock position of a 944 S2 or turbo disc so those calipers mount up to the stock bracket with minimal shimming needed.

The handbrake has been a massive headache!! I too legally need a mechanical handbrake so I’ve modified the 944 system to work. I modified standard 924 drum shoes to form a tighter radius and the bow-arm thing to take up less space.

I would advise against all of this and use some wheels which have a more sensible offset, use standard 944 rear discs and handbrake setup and space the gap between the hub and the disc if that is possible. (The problem might be that the handbrake bow-arm is trying to rub against the hub as it’s all trying to occupy the same space!)

The above is not me suggesting you follow my path, more to warn you against it! I’ve changed a lot on my car over the years and the handbrake mechanism has been one of the most annoying to get right! It’s now ‘pretty good’ and passes the MOT (safety inspection) every year and is functional on the road, but it certainly won’t be performing any skids!!

I can’t share photos on here - no photobucket etc account, but DM me your email and I can share what I have (and you’re welcome to post them up here to share).
Cheers,
John.
F3ARED  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been a little bit lazy. For anyone interested, heres the photos John sent me of how he converted the rear drum to disc hub.

May be of help to someone. I ended up getting my hands on a full set of 5 stud hubs....wallet is still recovering [the freight was more expensive than the bloody hubs!]

N-
kondzi  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ what a brilliant idea
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that! Nice thinking and execution!
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Worth noting that these blank drums came from www.machine7.co.uk in the UK. They do a 5x130 Porsche PCD off the shelf, but these are drilled to 5x114.3 which is popular Jap car (Mitsubishi, Toyota etc) pattern so they will fit my forged SSR wheels. Clearly not many folk fit Jap wheels to their beetles so they don’t cater for that PCD off the shelf.

The challenge once you’ve made the hubs is then finding a disc which will work with your calipers and brake shoes (if running a drum type handbrake).

Your 5 stud setup might have cost you a lot inc shipping, but it’s saved you a fortune in pain killers which you’d have consumed with all the headaches this DIY setup causes!!
madislandguy  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machine7 appears to have closed down their shop last month according to the web site.
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gish, you’re right, and they don’t even seem to be fulfilling orders placed and told customers to contact their card providers! That’s not good! Shame, I had a great service from them. I suspect there will be a lot of stock getting auctioned off there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: