Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 Turbo Restomod (kinda)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tun'd Up  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: 924 Turbo Restomod (kinda) Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm new to using forums in general so forgive me if I don't know to do basic forum stuff lol. But I bought a 1980 924 turbo a couple of years ago and I've been doing work off and on on it for a while now and I've come to a stand still with the engine block at the moment. I'm starting this post to help keep myself a little more accountable and try to finish this project up and maybe start on another project. My initial plan was to get it running first then upgrade later on, but that ship has sailed. So my vision now for the car is to rebuild everything from top to bottom and make sure everything is nice and proper. I would like to do an EFI conversion, add an intercooler, upgrade the cooling system and brake system and some other mods. But I hardly know much about modifying things on a car or how to make things work. I'm sorry in advance if I ask any questions that have already been answered over and over but If you can kindly direct me to a thread that has exactly what I'm looking for that'd be awesome. I will be posting videos on youtube as well to try and track my progress and maybe you will get a better idea of things.

So a short background story about the car, I picked this car up from a guy out in the middle of nowhere in the country. Super nice guy but he bit off more than he could chew with it and let it sit for several years. Based off of his story he said it sat for 14 years when he purchased it. The license plate on it showed it was last registered in the 90's. Upon first look of the car when purchasing it I found the what looked like a rats nests in the engine bay. The interior looked like it could be freshened up and a few things recovered. The hatch was stuck shut. And the guy told me the transmission was stuck in first gear and could not shift. After working on the car for a while I've discovered a lot more problems with it than initially thought (as expected) but I'm not giving up so easily. This car is forcing me to learn a lot more than the average guy working on a car.

So fast forward to now and some of the problems on this car includes rust, fuel tank leaking, leaking water inside, transmission rebuild, full interior restoration, hard to find/outrageously expensive parts, parts that are no longer made, full engine rebuild, etc.

Here is a couple pictures of the car recently and I'll post more pictures of the car later and what problems I come across and what I have done to fix them.
https://imgur.com/XhogB6c
https://imgur.com/j0JKCMS

Yes the car is outside and I need to put in a garage but I am working on that at the moment.

On to the engine, so the head has been completely redone and turned out perfect. Did not do any modifications to the head. The crankshaft is in great shape too. The block however is a different story, apparently cylinder 1 is the worst one and is just outside of clearance and piston 1 has a lot of wear on it. I don't remember the measurements he told me over the phone but I planned on meeting in person with them and talking with a certain guy at the shop I took the block to to figure out what I should do going forward. They're an old school shop who have been in business over 40 years with American engines and some foreign. They're scratching their heads with this just as much as I am on it but if they have specs and what not they will do it. I am leaning more towards buying custom or off the shelf pistons and rods. The only problem is I have no idea how to custom build an engine and how to make stuff work and what I would need to do if I change things like compression ratio, stroke, bore, etc. I'd like to take the path of least resistance when it comes to this, but I am open to some slight performance gains if someone has already had it all figured out. I'm hoping maybe someone can tell me what exact products they have used and the specs on those products and what specs they have went with for stroke, compression ratio etc etc.

I'll try to give regular updates on here about the car and more information about it.
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure out how much you would need to over bore the engine, if its stock at 86.5 mm, 87mm is probably enough.
Talk to ebs racing about a custom set of JE pistons with the size you need. When you have the pistons you have the machine shop bore the block to suit the pistons.
For a restomod you might want to and an intercooler to spice up the boost a bit. I would raise the compression a bit from stock with new pistons.
EBS also have the bearings you need.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rods are heavy, but strong and if you don't have to rev it above 7000 they will be fine.
You can save a lot of weight in the rotating assembly with custom piston and rods, literally a pound per jug, but it must be worth it too, depends on your goals.
Porsche 931 -79
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted - get new pistons, bore to match. I agree, call EBS, they know their way around these motors and what you'll need. I've been working with Don Weaver there, most recently.

Regarding modding the motor: it's a turbo. The biggest gains will come from boost, intercooling, and fueling. Normal internal tweaks are less important than they would be if it was NA.

Consider ARP head studs, though, to help contain that boost.

Could consider higher compression ratio, though, with intercooling added and pistons being needed. That'll particularly help the low end.

Microsquirt conversion will likewise help all that work well.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
kondzi  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck!

Start with
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=22724

if not already known to you.

For the EFI conversion there are also posts of forum guys doing their conversions in different ways. There are many ways to do it, some very expensive, some more affordable.

Do you have any knowledge about electrics/electronics? THat will be useful if you want to do the EFI conversion by your own, or maybe you want to ask someone knowledgeable to do it for you?

Do a list of mods you want to do and post it here.
Do a list of thing you need to rebuild and keep stock.
Make a plan, move forward bit by bit, not all at once, post your progress / doubts / issues here
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, EFI is the best upgrade you can do. Maybe close 2nd after intercooling on a turbo.
Porsche 931 -79
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
Yeah, EFI is the best upgrade you can do. Maybe close 2nd after intercooling on a turbo.

Depends on how much power you want and if the current system works well or not. Won't get much power or driveability change if everything works well already and you keep your power targets within the range of the kjet, except from igntion timing on the s1 engines. If everything is shot and needs to be replaced the costs can go north pretty rapidly with kjet, especially with the us kjet which is more complex, then efi definitely makes sense. The more you mod the more sense efi makes, and in this case it seems like there isn't much of the standard stuff that works anyway.

The only problem with the standard rods is that the rod bolts are so expensive, otherwise they work great for lots of boost.

The engine is super simple, i would be very surprised if any engine shop can't handle it. Just give them the factory specs
kondzi  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my case I've rebuilt K-Jet and then appeared the DITC was failing.
Having said that EFI'ish conversion I did with K-JET in place I'm doing only spark with MegaSquirt.

Cedric do you know how much HP stock K-JET can handle? I'm sure it is quite powerful in fuel delivery...

If I have not rebuilt K-JET firs, I'd switch to EFI due to much easier diagnosis and availability of parts. But I'm a DIY guy, so I don't count labor, which might be a big portion on the bill.
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
safe wrote:

Depends on how much power you want and if the current system works well or not. Won't get much power or driveability change if everything works well already and you keep your power targets within the range of the kjet, except from igntion timing on the s1 engines. If everything is shot and needs to be replaced the costs can go north pretty rapidly with kjet, especially with the us kjet which is more complex, then efi definitely makes sense. The more you mod the more sense efi makes, and in this case it seems like there isn't much of the standard stuff that works anyway.

The only problem with the standard rods is that the rod bolts are so expensive, otherwise they work great for lots of boost.

The engine is super simple, i would be very surprised if any engine shop can't handle it. Just give them the factory specs

Sure a well taken care of kjet might work ok (still not a fan of it), but a car that hasn't been cared for or have been non running for an extended time can be problematic.
EFI is a big cost, thats for sure, but kjet stuff is to if you need to replace things and if you need help there is not many that can or want to help.

An EFI kit would be nice at least the mechanical parts. Its not hard to make but if it was readily available it would be nice and you could leve the electronics open. There was/is a kit for 911 kjet engines.
But it all boils down to one thing, there is not a lot of people willing to spend more money on a car than its worth.

Rod bolts are expensive but I think you can reuse them, I did. The manual says to replace them, the same for the 911 and I have reused those to.
Porsche 931 -79
Tun'd Up  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stock bore is 86.5 mm and I'm going to step up to 87 mm. I just spoke with Don at EBS racing over the phone today and he said he will get back with me on getting a set of new pistons and rods ordered. I've read some more about what some others have done with this engine. My main goal with the car is not a huge HP monster but a nice Sunday driver that I can press the gas and get a little kick out of every once and a while. I thought about bumping compression ratio up to 8.0 : 1 or 8.5 : 1. But don't know if that will cause any issues for clearances on the valves or anything and if I need to adjust anything. I will look into ARP head studs and other fasteners.
Tun'd Up  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kondzi wrote:
Best of luck!

Start with
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=22724

if not already known to you.

For the EFI conversion there are also posts of forum guys doing their conversions in different ways. There are many ways to do it, some very expensive, some more affordable.

Do you have any knowledge about electrics/electronics? THat will be useful if you want to do the EFI conversion by your own, or maybe you want to ask someone knowledgeable to do it for you?

Do a list of mods you want to do and post it here.
Do a list of thing you need to rebuild and keep stock.
Make a plan, move forward bit by bit, not all at once, post your progress / doubts / issues here

My knowledge of electrics and electronics (with cars at least) is very limited but I am a hands on learner and love learning new things. I'm sure I can pick up the skill easy with a little bit of youtube, research and some help from others. And I'm not sure of many shops around here that can do or will do performance mods for people where I live. Especially fabricating things. I'm kind out of in the country in a small town. I want to do an EFI conversion, however I'm not sure exactly what will work and what will give the best performance and not fail in the future. I've read some other threads of other peoples' conversions and I somewhat get the idea. I'll keep researching. I'm always a sucker for bolt on kits or parts to assist in the conversion but when it comes to fabricating something custom, that would be outside of my comfort level and skills. However, like I said above I love learning new things and I'm not afraid of trial and error until I get it down.

Here's a list of general mods and rebuilds I want to do:

-Engine Rebuild (improved internals)
-Upgraded water-cooled turbo and turbo manifold
-Add intercooler and piping
-Upgrade radiator
-5 lug conversion
-Wilwood brake kit
-upgraded brake master cylinder
-upgraded clutch
-suspension upgrade and lowering
-gt carrera body kit
-EFI conversion
-new exhaust system
(may have missed some)

-Full interior restoration
-aftermarket seats
-fuel system rebuild
-Transmission rebuild
-steering rack rebuild
-firewall repair
-sheet metal repair/fixing and removing rust
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayes Lewis is working on getting rods made, find him in the racing thread. Doing pistons also, but not turbo. Probably much less expensive than Crower for rods

I just got my pistons ordered thru EBS they are 12-1 on a 931 head(no turbo) and delivery 10-12 weeks.

The rods bolts For an Alfa GTV 2000 will work in the stock rods, the splines and head are not the same as stock rod altho they assemble snug due to the center larger diameter of the bolt where the rod sections join. They will not be quite as precise as the correct bolt. They are made from 8740 so better than stock(12.9 stl), but not as good as the ARP2000 ones. Several years ago Porsche made another run of the stock bolts, when I called they were about $25+ each and had to be ordered from Germany.

I bought a set of the Alfa bolts just to see what they looked like and assembled a rod with them. I they took it to my machinist who said they would work, just not quite as precise as the stock spline fit,

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tun'd Up wrote:

Here's a list of general mods and rebuilds I want to do:

-Engine Rebuild (improved internals)
-Upgraded water-cooled turbo and turbo manifold
-Add intercooler and piping
-Upgrade radiator
-5 lug conversion
-Wilwood brake kit
-upgraded brake master cylinder
-upgraded clutch
-suspension upgrade and lowering
-gt carrera body kit
-EFI conversion
-new exhaust system
(may have missed some)

-Full interior restoration
-aftermarket seats
-fuel system rebuild
-Transmission rebuild
-steering rack rebuild
-firewall repair
-sheet metal repair/fixing and removing rust

$20-30k estimate on that list of work

Very little is bolt on. Most will be DIY or paying a pro to fabricate if you have some limitations on skill sets. Break it down into sections and work out what is manageable in smaller chunks. If you try to do too much too soon the project will fail for sure due to lack of motivation and potentially funds.

Seems a lifetime ago when I started mine. Be warned, they are never finished.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:

Rod bolts are expensive but I think you can reuse them, I did. The manual says to replace them, the same for the 911 and I have reused those to.

Definitely not reusable on a turbo engine……especially one which will have tweaked boost/bhp
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kondzi wrote:

Cedric do you know how much HP stock K-JET can handle? I'm sure it is quite powerful in fuel delivery...

Other factors involved. Turbo used, tune used, exhaust, IC etc. etc. Forum myth say 250bhp but I have never seen any proven evidence of that.

My car already had a 10-15% increase in fuel flow in the metering head so never got the true limit plus I was changing out turbos and tunes during the journey. Now I have 270bhp dyno’d on Kjet with 30% more flow on metering head. It’s pretty much max’d out according to AFR’s and limitations to tuning the fuel delivery with Kjet. Been a long time and money consuming journey…..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: