Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How To Fix Broken Door Handles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popbox  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: How To Fix Broken Door Handles? Reply with quote

Porsche People! - I need your help!

My door handles have completely given up. The trigger / lever to open the door used to be really awkward to activate. It got to the point where I'd have to hold it engaged towards me whilst elbowing the door. It did look like I was stealing my own car. But now, when I pull the trigger to open the door it does nothing. No tension in it. It's totally broken now.

Since new handles cost the earth, what's the best solution? Can my existing handles be repaired? If so, what does your experience suggest the cause might be?

I can get hold of these: 'DROP LINK BAR MECHANISM'
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143623877689...

Would that help? Thank you, your help & experience is seriously appreciated! Best wishes
HDMacaw  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lever in mine broke in half a few years ago. Luckily I found a complete set of both L& R handles on ebay for $100.

A single door handle these days is $400-$500 which is just crazy.

If it's the lever broken in yours you might try this lever kit from 944 Online it's only $35.00+shipping

https://944online.com/body-124/aftermarket-door-handle-trigger-kit.html
Riggard  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are golf mk1 Grips and thus rather cheap:
http://www.volksparts.eu/contents/nl/d324_Sloten-grepen.html

Inside of your door, the trigger opens the lock via a metal rod that's attached to a plastic ball socket. I suspect in your case the plastic is broken. Easiest way to figure out is to remove the door cards and check for yourself.
BC931  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Door cards removal Reply with quote

The passenger door on my 1980 931 won't open. How do I get the door open to remove the door card?

The inside handle doesn't work, the outside handle doesn't work, the outside lock doesn't turn and the lock button won't go up or down. I suspect the striker mechanism. But how do I get at it?
Eliza  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you posted the same question on Rennlist? I answered there

Eliza
BC931  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
I think you posted the same question on Rennlist? I answered there

Eliza

I did, and you did! Thanks for the answer. I hope I can get at it.
Eliza  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above all else, don't forget to breathe - if you're anything like me, situations like these may freak you out and make you rush/force things, which you WILL later regret .

Take your time, and you'll get there.
BC931  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Above all else, don't forget to breathe - if you're anything like me, situations like these may freak you out and make you rush/force things, which you WILL later regret .

Take your time, and you'll get there.

Good advice. I'm not in a hurry, since it will be snow season for a few months still. I am perplexed about what I can do about the latch. They are designed to stay closed, and mine is meeting that design!
Eliza  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have spare time on your hands and a heated place to work in you might want to take the door card off of your driver's door, just to take a look at the internal door lock in its functional state.

That'd give you a chance to see how to manipulate it. Then, once you get at the passenger side you'll be able to use your knowledge and get the lock open even if you can't see inside ( which you won't, because the door card won't come off completely while the door is still closed.)

Be warned, it's pretty tight in there. Small hands will help a lot. Also, look at the PET page for an exploded view of what's there, and what interlinks with what.

It's a hassle but doable, and if you hope to get the passenger door, lock and handles back into working order, you'll have to dig in there eventually.

Or you could always choose to simply never take a passenger

Let us know how you get on!

Eliza
BC931  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Mr Google Reply with quote

Thanks to Mr Google I was able to get the door open. I plan to leave it open until the replacement parts arrive.

I found a video that demonstrated a potential cause (on a Golf Mk1), as well a possible remedy. I cycled the trigger in and out while 'thumping' the door about level with the lock mechanism. After a bunch of tries the trigger jumped back, and reaching in the window I used the inside handle to open the door. Success!

Once I have a replacement handle, I will remove the old one and see what gives.

Thanks all!
Eliza  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Well done you.

Eliza
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: