Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

No spark when hot + fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russmw  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: No spark when hot + fix Reply with quote

Hi,

My first post here and to break the normal trend I'm going to post the fix to my problem! I've had my 1982 924 2.0 na (UK spec) for 2 years during which time I've done a load of removing\cleaning\rebuilding various parts and until last month has never let me down.

I started to get a hot start issue but had previously replaced the accumulator and rebuilt the WUR so residual pressure was fine but after the car had run up to temp it and left for 15 minutes it wouldnt start for an hour or so. Within 2 weeks this got worse to the point where it would die when running and stranded me at a set of traffic lights

Quickly realised I had no spark when hot so cracked out the multi meter to check voltages and resistance which all checked out ok when cold but after the car had heated up I was getting an open circuit across the hall sensor in the distributor (measure across the pins on the side or the wires at the ignition module)

I stumbled across this guide on a BMW forum http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1216303-Replacing-the-Ignition-Impulse-Sender and started to strip my dizzy down. The only part missing in the guide is removing the actual sender from the holder which is held in by 3 screws. Ordered a new from ebay @ £27 and rebuilt it last night resulting in a car which starts fine hot or cold

I know I could have picked up a second hand dizzy which may have been easier but this way I know the internal components are fine and took the opportunity to clean\lube the advance mech & polich the housing.
brealytrent  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My n/a has always had a problem with 'lukewarm' starting. Cold is perfect. Sitting for 5-10 minutes it's perfect. Sitting for an hour? Nooopee.

The quick fix for this is pulling the air filter out with the ignition switch in the ON position, and lifting the airflow meter arm inside to inject some gas directly into the cylinders. Then she fires right up.

I'm not sure if the one electronic injector on the system is not functioning correctly, or if the WUR is malfunctioning. I'm pretty sure I've replaced the WUR and a jumper to the injector with no improvement. Any input?
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - sold
2009 Porsche Cayman
Johann  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for posting your problem & solution! This has fixed my issue too

Have a look here: https://youtu.be/lC-QB7Dh9mQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: