Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Dodged a bullet in the fuel system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Dodged a bullet in the fuel system Reply with quote

The fuel system I made using Weber carbs is all Earls -6 AN flexible tubing from the fuel cell except for the main fuel filter (stock Bosch)and pressure regulator which have pipe threads. When I put it together I could not find much information on what to use as a thread sealant, I figured not to use any tape as pieces might break off so I just used good teflon old pipe dope.

When I cranked it up for the first time this year last week I had to shut it down due to a fuel leak in one carb. A second shot at just running the fuel pump and gas sprayed out of the pressure regulator. I went on line and found the marine folks use Permatex #3 on all pipe threads. So the other day I did the same. There was almost no trace of the pipe dope left on any of the threads. That could have easily lead to a fire.

Permatex also makes a sealant called Motoseal that I used to replace the bottom gasket in my '77 fuel tank, but is seems to be more of a gasket type material than thread sealant.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pipe dope/teflon (including tape) is no bueno for automotive. The teflon is of course a lubricant; turns out its purpose is to help you jam the NPT threads tighter to get them to seal - but the seal is metal on metal, not the teflon.

I was recommended to use Permatex #54540 on my racecar after having one AN fitting vibrate loose (admittedly, probably badly torqued first time wround). Cost me a motor and made one helluva mess on track. The 54540 is purple liquid that works both as a thread locker and a sealant.

No problems since. Can even be used on both the face of AN fittings and the thread (I just use it on the thread).

https://smile.amazon.com/ESM-180-54540-Permatex-Pneumatic-Hydraulic/dp/B002JQK8NW

This looks like it might be similar, much less expensive:
https://smile.amazon.com/Vibra-TITE-440-Hydraulic-Pneumatic-Anaerobic/dp/B0026GOWUK

Seems like Loctite 545 is comparable too?
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, looked up both Aeroquip and Earls and not much mention of sealants. On the oil cooler side there are many fittings and a lot of pipe theads with the block bypass, remote filter and cooler plus a couple of fittings that just want to seep a little. I'll get the Permatex coming. My local FLAPS is somewhat independent and many times is a better deal than Amazon. Plus we need to support our local businesses now.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: