Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Oil Pressure light - random flickering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikseymono1  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Oil Pressure light - random flickering Reply with quote

SO, oil pressure light on the instrument cluster (oil can picture) has been flickering over the last couple of weeks. Not a constant blink like an indicator, more like a random flicker….sometimes a hard red…sometimes a soft one…..like an electrical problem. Have not used car much in the last month…weather…maybe four 10 min journeys at best….yesterday, I changed the Oil (Castrol GTX Ultraclean 10w40) OEM oil filter and put on a brand new OEM Oil Pressure sender. Oil pressure on cold starts pegged at 5 then after 15 mins it goes to around 3.4 on idle…so not far off Clarks guide.
Took it for a spin today…upon start the oil pressure goes to 5 and sure enough the oil pressure light starts to flicker……after 3 mins…light goes away…drive for another 15 mins….light flickered once during this time and that was it.
So…a bit strange. I can’t seem to get it to come on with acceleration/braking etc..it has a mind of its own...I have checked wires from sender and ensured good contact to the sender to both the connections and have also checked back to under the manifold area. I have an oil level sender on the sump and the wires look ok…but unsure how to test that.

So, a bit strange and random. It really seems electrical rather than a mechanical fault…just can’t trace it. I guess in the grand scheme of things if the car is pulling well, with good oil pressure, no obvious leaks all is OK…just this flickering light is annoying...

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

M
ConradK  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue. I was reading elsewhere that the oil light flickering is a symptom of a failing low oil level switch which are NLA. There apparently isn't an easy way to defeat it. I would assume you can pull the connector to the light but maybe that has an impact on something else? Maybe someone else here can comment.
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the wire from the sensor to the light is shorting to ground.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
mikseymono1  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried all those.
So I have come to the conclusion the the sensor in the oil sump is probably the culprit. I have bypassed the oil sensor relay and so far no flickering light and it's been fine for 3 months........might try to connect the relay back up just to see if the problem is still there....
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the oil pressure sensor lead.

In the case of the level sensor, simply grounding its connection at the sump will take care of the issue.
mikseymono1  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried grounding that wire Paul...but still flickered. I ended up taking off the oil pressure relay and inserting a wire to bypass that...I had read someone had similar issues and this solved it by doing just this. I might put it all back together and test it again as it was the deepest winter when it developed this strange issue!
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it still is flickering with the level sensor lead grounded, the issue is not the level sensor. The sensor grounds the lead until the oil level gets too low when it opens the path to ground.
mikseymono1  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...put it back together again.....flickered a bit on start up but has been fine all day! Been using it quite a bit today so all very strange. I do park on a slight hill with nose up if this may contribute....and the last time I had this issue I had changed the oil and filter...so a bit baffled.....oh well...on to the next challenge!

M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: