Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Radiators for the V8's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Radiators for the V8's Reply with quote

I had my stock rad sent to a rad shop for a pattern with specs on the necassary mods..... I went to pick up the finished rad today, only to find out that they stopped the job saying it was too hard to do...blah blah!

So I am wondering what the other guys are using to cool thier V6/V8's? I know renegade puts out a rad for about $600 usd..but still uses the Porsche expansion tank....YUK!..I want a regular filler and rad cap. Any help or rad sorces would be a great help.

Thanks guys.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jamez  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get on ebay, and search for Chevy Aluminum radiator, there are a ton of them in many different sizes being sold by different ebay stores.. ... I paid about $180 for mine, I think its 24X20 inches but don't quote me on that, just measure how much room you have before you order one...
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the rads on ebay.....22 x19 seems the best fit. Can't find then any shorter than 19..but it would work. I will have to do some mods to it of coarse!. Jamez won't have the same problem I have since he no longer has the headlight linkage in the way of the rads filler and cap. I will have to remove the filler neck and cap, weld the hole over, then manufacture a filer neck with a 90 degree elbow with cap. The other option might be to make the mounting bracket to hold the rad outwards past the linkage....but it doesn't sound pretty?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: RE radiators Reply with quote

The guys at fluidyne have done a custom radiator for the 944 V-8 swap and should still the the drawing on file.

FRR # 34320

Thier number is 704-662-8119

The best radiator is made by Renegade but it is pretty expensive. It includes a high output fan setup.
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked closely at Renegade (actually got the link off Turbobob's site) The rad uses the Porsche expansion tank. and I just can't find a decent location for it. Not to mention the Price$$$$$$$$ The ebay rad looks to be the best route for now. Thanks for the input guys!

numbbers  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is anybody ever going to get one of these running?
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the other "swappers", but I know if time or money were not an issue it would be on the road now. BUT the realities of life and family/financial obligations come first. I always find myself saying,"this spring I should have it done." Well like every other year..this spring doesn't look all that great for having it finished. I have too much time and money invested to rush the job and cut coners. Till I get it done I'll just have to read on the board about everybody elses fun!

jamez  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine running, last weekend I hooked up the brakes, I had to remove the brakebooster. The clutch is fully functional. I am at school right now (six hour drive from my car). the car should be on the road for sure either next weekend or the weekend after.. I will take some more pictures of the engine bay next weekend, I have installed the intake system and a few other things since the last pictures....
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it feels to drive it when you get her on the road.

81turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increasing horsepower while decreasing braking power is the worst idea I have ever heard! It goes against everything that Porsche does. Brakes seem to be the first upgrade they do when HP is raised. I think you need to find a way to get a booster (power brakes) to work or head back to the drawing board.
jamez  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have strong legs.
smittie1984  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a S-10 and I'm going to do an Lt1 or Ls1 swap into it. And I"m also part of a website where people with V8 S-10s go. Including people who do Big Block swaps. So those are tight fits and you can see we have this problem and question all the time.

What I found that most people use. And I have done myself to other V8 S-10s is to use either the Vette radiator. Or use the Stock radiator from a 4.3L s-10. They are very cheap. Like $125. Aluminum and work very well.

And for a fan combination we usually use a Ford Taurus fan from the 91-93 3.8L. It puts out more air than any dual, clutch, or flexlite fan could ever imagine. And you can get them at your Local Junkyard for about $40.

But good luck with it. If I buy this 924 I might be putting in a Big Block that I found behind my house in an old truck. So that will bring on a whole new bunch of problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: