Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 Top Speed...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lizard  



Joined: 03 Nov 2002
Posts: 9379
Location: Abbotsford BC. Canada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only drive my car that fast in spots where it is only me on the road noone else and no chance of someone pulling out on me
_________________
3 928s,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CMXXXI  



Joined: 05 Nov 2002
Posts: 1939
Location: Vicksburg, MS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SprintStar wrote:
Wow... You drove your 931 on the Autobahn and brought it back to the US? Is your a tourist delivery car?

No, I was in the Army at the time, stationed in Germany. I bought the car off a dealership used car lot, drove it for 3 years over there, had it converted to meet DOT specs then shipped it back to the States. I don't regret the hassle it entailed.

I tried to buy a new 951 on the "Overseas Delivery Plan", but couldn't arrange financing in time. I waited too long before looking into the program, and couldn't meet the time restrictions. I had to have actually purchased the car at a Stateside dealership, and have the transaction completed 30 days before I wanted to take delivery at the Zuffenhausen facility. The deal was to pick the car up at Porsche, drive it for so many days (30 max I think), then drop it back off at the plant. They would then install the cat converter (no unleaded fuel in Germany back then) and ship it to the States. I was responsible for pickup or further shipment once it arrived on the East Coast.

Having to arrange financing, coordinate pickup and re-delivery in time to meet my rotation date back to the States just didn't work out. Realistically, I should have started about 90-120 days before my return date.

I ended up buying a new 951 off a stateside dealership lot within 10 days of me returning back to the USA. The car I bought was identical to what I would have had "made to order". Couldn't have been luckier, but sure wish I could have taken a European delivery.
_________________
'79 Eurospec 931
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SprintStar  



Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMXXXI wrote:
SprintStar wrote:
Wow... You drove your 931 on the Autobahn and brought it back to the US? Is your a tourist delivery car?

No, I was in the Army at the time, stationed in Germany. I bought the car off a dealership used car lot, drove it for 3 years over there, had it converted to meet DOT specs then shipped it back to the States. I don't regret the hassle it entailed.

I tried to buy a new 951 on the "Overseas Delivery Plan", but couldn't arrange financing in time. I waited too long before looking into the program, and couldn't meet the time restrictions. I had to have actually purchased the car at a Stateside dealership, and have the transaction completed 30 days before I wanted to take delivery at the Zuffenhausen facility. The deal was to pick the car up at Porsche, drive it for so many days (30 max I think), then drop it back off at the plant. They would then install the cat converter (no unleaded fuel in Germany back then) and ship it to the States. I was responsible for pickup or further shipment once it arrived on the East Coast.

Having to arrange financing, coordinate pickup and re-delivery in time to meet my rotation date back to the States just didn't work out. Realistically, I should have started about 90-120 days before my return date.

I ended up buying a new 951 off a stateside dealership lot within 10 days of me returning back to the USA. The car I bought was identical to what I would have had "made to order". Couldn't have been luckier, but sure wish I could have taken a European delivery.


You lucky man!!!!! That's quite a story! Do you still have the 951?

Sprint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CMXXXI  



Joined: 05 Nov 2002
Posts: 1939
Location: Vicksburg, MS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, unfortunately I sold it back in '91. I left the Army, moved, got a new job, got divorced, moved again. The cost to maintain it was beyond my means with all that going on. Sure wish I could have afforded to keep it. I held on to the 931 because it was paid for, solely in my name, it is a "rare" '79 model and I figure I may never be able to afford another new Porsche. I'm just glad that I'm mechanically inclined and now have the funds, facilities & time to refurbish and maintain it.
_________________
'79 Eurospec 931
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SprintStar  



Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMXXXI wrote:
Nope, unfortunately I sold it back in '91. I left the Army, moved, got a new job, got divorced, moved again. The cost to maintain it was beyond my means with all that going on. Sure wish I could have afforded to keep it. I held on to the 931 because it was paid for, solely in my name, it is a "rare" '79 model and I figure I may never be able to afford another new Porsche. I'm just glad that I'm mechanically inclined and now have the funds, facilities & time to refurbish and maintain it.


931 rules!

Sprint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SprintStar  



Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMXXXI wrote:
Nope, unfortunately I sold it back in '91. I left the Army, moved, got a new job, got divorced, moved again. The cost to maintain it was beyond my means with all that going on. Sure wish I could have afforded to keep it. I held on to the 931 because it was paid for, solely in my name, it is a "rare" '79 model and I figure I may never be able to afford another new Porsche. I'm just glad that I'm mechanically inclined and now have the funds, facilities & time to refurbish and maintain it.


931 rules!

Sprint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SprintStar  



Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMXXXI wrote:
Nope, unfortunately I sold it back in '91. I left the Army, moved, got a new job, got divorced, moved again. The cost to maintain it was beyond my means with all that going on. Sure wish I could have afforded to keep it. I held on to the 931 because it was paid for, solely in my name, it is a "rare" '79 model and I figure I may never be able to afford another new Porsche. I'm just glad that I'm mechanically inclined and now have the funds, facilities & time to refurbish and maintain it.


931 rules!

Sprint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kenodog  



Joined: 25 Jun 2003
Posts: 2302
Location: Vancouver,B.C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my '80 931 up to 4000 rpm in 5th gear on the Coquihalla hwy. Does anyone know how fast that is? My speedo only goes to 85
_________________
1979 Euro 931, Olive
1981 931, Sabine
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kid's limo)
2008 GS500
1996 Dodge Caravan (DJV)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
SprintStar  



Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenodog wrote:
I had my '80 931 up to 4000 rpm in 5th gear on the Coquihalla hwy. Does anyone know how fast that is? My speedo only goes to 85


On my '82 Euro 931, 55mph is about 2000rpm and 110mph is right about 4000rpm, So I'd say you're doing the same!

Sprint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CMXXXI  



Joined: 05 Nov 2002
Posts: 1939
Location: Vicksburg, MS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My math puts it just under 95 mph. My Eurospec snailshell gives me ~70mph@3000rpm in 5th. 70/3000=.023333mph/rpm. .02333x4000=93.333
It'll take you about 4300rpm to hit 100
About 4700 for 110
About 5150 for 120
About 5500 for 130
Somewhere between 6K and redline you'll top out somewhere in the neighborhood of 140. As they say, "don't try this at home", and do be careful if you want to validate these figures on the road.

...Your mileage may vary of course ....
_________________
'79 Eurospec 931
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
924 turbo  



Joined: 02 Nov 2002
Posts: 1566
Location: Simi Valley, CA, USA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my math puts you at around 105.

Gear ratios, I think, for the '80 North American-spec snailshell:
1st: 3.166
2nd: 1.777
3rd: 1.217
4th: 0.931
5th: 0.6
Differential: 4.714
_________________
Jon Furst
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul  



Joined: 02 Nov 2002
Posts: 9285
Location: Southeast Wisconsin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 80 931 owner's manual "speed in gears" graph says 105.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
924 turbo  



Joined: 02 Nov 2002
Posts: 1566
Location: Simi Valley, CA, USA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the verification, Paul.
_________________
Jon Furst
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kenodog  



Joined: 25 Jun 2003
Posts: 2302
Location: Vancouver,B.C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get me an owners manual
_________________
1979 Euro 931, Olive
1981 931, Sabine
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kid's limo)
2008 GS500
1996 Dodge Caravan (DJV)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
CMXXXI  



Joined: 05 Nov 2002
Posts: 1939
Location: Vicksburg, MS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out my owner's manual and some on-line RPM-MPH calculators, and it would seem that either my speedo or my tach is in error if my owners manual is correct. According to them, at 3000rpm in 5th I should be doing between 75-80, not just ~70.

But, I've timed myself traveling at 60 and at 70 (indicated) over a measured 2-mile stretch of Interstate, and the speedo appears to be correct. I'm running 205/60x15 tires which are a tad smaller than the stock 185/70's and that would account for some of the difference betweem the book and my observations, but to match the book output figures I'd have to do a 3000rpm mile in something like 45-47 seconds, not the 50-51 I'm observing. I've got a hand-held tach & dwell meter, but I can't get it to do anything regardless of how I hook it up (so much for my $7 yard sale purchase).

The figures in my German language '79 Turbo manual give the same gear ratios for 1-4 as 924Turbo quoted, but the fifth gear ratio is listed as .706, with a differential ratio of 4.125.

These ratios are "slower" than the US gearbox of 1980 which also surprised me. I would have guessed that the European version would have been geared more for hi-end, whereas the US model would have been engineered for lowered emissions and higher fuel economy. Shows you what I know, huh? Could be because it was the 1st production year too, so who knows...?

I scanned the N/A data also if anyone is interested, and you can click here for the 4 & 5 speed acceleration curves, or here for the power curves.
_________________
'79 Eurospec 931
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group