Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Project Car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teabagger  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Project Car Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting a 924 turbo as a project car and was wondering what the engine specs are stock, just displacement, hp, etc. Also does it use the same turbo as the Audi's of the same years?
As far as upgrades, I think the turbo is a good size to run 12psi (just under 1.0 bar) as a daily driver but what can I do about fuel?
I am hoping to find one with a bad engine so I can pick it up cheap, what other motors directly swap into this car if any?
Thanks in advance!
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 924 turbos are 1984cc.

North American specs:
'80: 7.5:1 compression, 147 horsepower, 0.43-0.47 bar (~6.5 psi)
'81-'82: 8.0:1 compression, 154 horsepower, 0.43-0.47 bar (~6.5 psi)

European specs:
'79-'80: 7.5:1 compression, 170 horsepower, 0.70 bar (~10.1 psi)
'81-'82: 8.5:1 compression, 177 horsepower, 0.65 bar (~9.5 psi)

The compressor side of the turbo (and the center section) may be swappable with other K26 variants, but the exhaust housing is pretty much 924-specific.

At 12 psi, you probably won't need any fuel enrichment. Several board members run higher-than-stock boost, sometimes up to 14.5 psi (1 bar) with no enrichment at all. How tolerant your engine will be to higher boost levels depends on the climate you live in (San Diego is pretty mild), the condition of the engine, and of course fuel octane. If you're worried, just crank the boost up slowly. If the car starts to ping, dial the boost back to a more comfortable level. If you want to use fuel enrichment, Haltech and others make supplementary injector controllers.

The 924 Carrera GT, an exclusive version of the 924 turbo that was never sold in the US was essentially a high-output version of the 924 turbo with a top-mount intercooler (and hood scoop) and a body kit. The Carrera GT made 210 horsepower with the same compression as the European series 2 924 turbos (8.5:1) and more boost. The Carrera GT ran 0.75 bar (about 11 psi) compared to the European series 2's 0.65 bar.

There are no bolt-in engine swaps for the 924. Renegade Hybrids used to make a Chevy V8 kit for the 924, but they no longer do.

Any engine swap is going to be very expensive, unless you do your own fabrication and are an experienced welder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: