Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

13/13 Rule

View previous topic :: View next topic  
w.a.  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: 13/13 Rule Reply with quote

I'm told that 13/13 is NOT enforced in 944 cup. Can anyone validate this? I not thrilled about bump and run on my car. I have the wherewithal to fix it, but cheap shots or carelessness is not why I want to put my car on the grid next to yours. In other words, why should I upfit my car to run SCCA E Production? ( I have dual Weber DCOEs which boots me from ITA and my interior is still stock)
Best,
w.a.

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space."
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

944Cup and GTS Challenge both work on a modified version of the 13/13 rule, not the same as PCA or BMWCCA. You should refer to the respective websites for details on exactly how they work (www.944cup.com), but they are designed not to penalize 1-car incidents. PCA will penalize a 1-car incident.

If you have more direct questions about running in SCCA, I will be happy to provide my feedback; for 944Cup, I recommend discussing it either on their forum or with Jeremy here - I've only run one event with them, it was clean for the most part, and the one case where there was contact, there were substantial penalties levied.

You have to remember, any 13/13 rule or the like CANNOT PREVENT on-track contact, only punish. If you want a guarantee against body damage, keep it to DE. But that's just my opinion.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran with them once last year as well. I saw two cars get together in turn one at Summit and I didn't hear if either got penalized. I of course was a couple football fields away so it's possble they didn't touch but it sure looked like they did.

My other response is that there will always be risks anytime your out on the track and it's difficult to police. That's just a part of racing. Sh%% happens. If your not happy with it, then you should go to SCCA Prod. Even there you still run the risk of non compliance with the rules.

BTW, I still contend that the 924 in ITA could be competitive with the right amount of tuning. Vaughan will disagree with me on this but I can still dream can I?

Jeremy
#53 ITA SCCA
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're getting there, with the ITA cars. Problem is that you need a lot of cash invested to be competitive, maybe 15k, IMO. Things I have not yet done, but need to, are a fully-built motor (to the limit of the rule and dyno-tuned), and a tranny with LSD or Quaife and a ring and pinion (shorter than stock).

Jeremy, what're you running for now in the way of a trans?
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were running a 944 trans that came off a 1988 944S. Staying with a Ford remaunfactured clutch. We will test it this weekend on some back country road to see if we still have vibration problems since the car has sat since late April. Haven't decided whether we should look for a lsd or just weld ours.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ick. I'd stay away from welding it. The reasoning for me is two-fold. I've heard from many reputable sources that once you weld it, you put a lot of strain on components that don't see and weren't designed for such strain, particularly in an independent suspension, and you'll start blowing up CV's, etc.

Secondly, in my mind one of the best advantages in the 924 is it's handling, due in large part to the rear independent suspension. Weld the diff, you totally screw up that package and give away your one ace card. I'd say keep running it, keep your eyes open for a 951 LSD, and for a proper 924 5-speed. Then we'll line you up with a ring and pinion, and you'll be there. In the meantime, just develop the suspension and continue to learn the car.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jesse wall  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: vintage racing Reply with quote

W A. check out svra they have a place for 924s and 924 also the vdca says they will take cars that race with the svra now these people have more than a 13 13 rule I think if you contact on purpose you are used for part of the pavement on the next race , they are serious about racing and protecting the cars they love Jesse
w.a.  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jesse! Will give them a look. Julie at VIR is running a Sprite in SVRA isn't she?

BTW, hope you have a great time at the beach w/o the rain.
Best,
w.a.

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: