Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944 engine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamez  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy would it be to put a 944 engine into a '77 924? I could probably find a 944 engine for less than it would cost me to get the 2.0 to make any power.. thanks

-Jamez
jamez  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I looked in the FAQ, it said it would be cheaper to buy a 944... damn

-Jamez
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you need a whole 944 to do it.
P197pilot  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE an '83 944 with a twisted frame. The powertrain is still good in it, even though it can't carry it's radiator any more. Other than the engine, torque tube and transaxle, what else would need to be swapped? Are the motor mounts interchangeable (I've noticed a difference in the cross-members!)?
TonyMechanic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about anywhere else, but down here in Good ol, Kansas City Kansas I talked to the owner of the local european car junkyard and he said that he would sell all the engine and engine related parts (wiring, computer, sensors) in order to do the conversion for about $1300. The name of the place is Avenue Auto Wrecking. good luck if you decide to do it.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would spend too much $$$ to install a 944 verses upgrading the 924. The 924 is EXTREMLY CHEAP TO UPGRADE!

A Stock 924 to 60 does-- lets say 9.8 seconds
to upgrade to a 944 you would get to 60 in 8.1 seconds

Now that seems like a huge jump, but you are going to spend $2000 to do so. For that amount of money, I have a formula on my website that you could get your car to 60 in 7 seconds flat!

Do the 924 way... it's more fun

- Jon

"HOW THE HECK DID YOU BLOW ME AWAY WITH THAT?! DID YOU PUT IN A V8????? NO?!! BULL POOP! LET ME SEE.... 1..2..3..4...... HEY?! THERE ARE ONLY 4 SPARK PLUGS IN HERE?! WHAT THE HECK?!!!"

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Joes924  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itd be a lot of work but I think if 1 has the space ited be allright then again
if it breaks down you are stuck with the 944 bills...
Benski  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to modify your steel crossmember to hold the 944 mounts. The 924's crossmember is plenty strong enough to hold the weight of the 944 engine. You would have to switch to a 931 master cylinder in order to handle the 944's hydraulic clutch.
It's an easy swap if you know what you're doing and you've got the equipment to modify the crossmember.

The 944 crossmember mounts in a different place and is also a different size. It can be modified to fit into the 924 but it'd be more difficult than just modifying your existing crossmember
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I've heard too many people say "It's too hard" and "It'd be too expensive". Although its a completely different engine, it's still a slant 4 designed to fit in the exact same space! The difficult part of the whole swap is the wiring.

If you can put up with that, you can get a low mileage 951 engine on ebay for $1500, or from any good wrecker for $2500.

Think of it. Water cooled turbo. Electronically controlled wastegate. EFI. Distributorless ignition.
Paul T.  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Applebit,

"The 924 is EXTREMELY CHEAP TO UPGRADE"? What the hell are you smoking tonight? I'm not trying to stir up anything, but I would like to know what your idea of cheap is? I'm spending an extra $1000 for a cam grind, port and polish, header, and higher compression pistons, and for only 30 more horses at best! I have to say upgrading a 924 for more HP is by no means cheap. I don't like to disagree, but I have to call your reasoning on this one. I think your train of thought on this topic is just slightly off.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to what you know about hot rodding. Take it to a shop, and they'll charge you thousands. It doesn't matter what engine you have.

The 2.0 motor doesn't have much cheap power. This doesn't mean you can't get lots of power cheaply, you just have to know what to do. The injection system of these cars is beautiful as far as a cheap turbo job goes.

I've seen a kit for about $1400, or you can do your own, if you know what you're doing, for about 700. If anyone wants details, email me.

cbass@zilvia.net
jamez  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly needs to be done to install a turbo in a 924? obvously exaust manifold, intake manifold, and an oil line for the turbo... what else? sorry Ive never had a turbocharged car so I don't know much about them.. I know alot about the internal workings of a turbocharger, one of my teachers used to be an engineer designing turbochargers, so he taught me all about them... but I know relatively little about hooking one up to a car....
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what sort of system you're setting up. A 924 NA with 8.5:1 compression pistons can be turboed for not too much trouble IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. The basic mechanicals can be as simple as mounting a turbo where the catalytic converter used to be, then routing a pipe to your throttle body.

Note I say "can be". This means, if you have a midsized V8 american rear driver, you have a ton of space to do whatever you want.
On a 924, you have next to none.

This is the hard part about a 924 turbo job, you have to decide where you put what. On the 924 Turbo(931 factory code), they put it under the engine on the right side of the car, at the end of the header pretty much.
You have to drill a hole in the intake manifold, so you can hook up a vaccuum hose
so the wastegate can read the boost pressure.

There isn't a lot of room to mount an intercooler. The 924 GT series put them on top of the engine, with a hood scoop to feed air onto it. This forced cold air over the intercooler and down over the enigine, for increased cooling. The downside is, unless you are going 60+ mph, you won't see much cooling for the air charge, instead, the heat from the engine will sink into the intercooler.

The 944 Turbo(951 factory code) mounted the turbo on the other side of the engine, and out an intercooler above the radiator, with an air inlet at the top of the bumper.

It all depends on what sort of power you are looking for. If you want 200 hp, you don't really need an intercooler. If you want 300, you really want an intercooler.

If you're going to do a turbo job, you might as well take the time to do a little minor engine tuning. Bump the timing about 4 degrees, port and polish the intake manifold, cylinder heads, whatever you can afford. Do all the cheap tricks you can find out about.
jamez  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I knew a little bit more about machine work... I guess the way to go would be to get a turbo exaust manifold huh... except I would like to use a more modern turbo, so I would have to modify the manifold... now if only I had about $1000 extra to spend right now..
Cbass  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the good thing about doing your own turbocharging is that you can get the parts one at a time. All you really need is to place the turbo where your catalytic converter goes. The you just route the neccessary tubing for you intake, and supply it with oil. Crazy people like me would water cool it was well, but you need a water cooled turbo.

You do have to figure out how to get oil to it, and you have to install a vaccuum line from your intake manifold to the vaccuum connection on the turbo, so it can read the boost at the intake manifold. For this, you need to drill a hole in in your manifold, and put length of tubing. Off the shelf copper line works great for this, just hook one end up to the vaccuum on the turbo, drill the intake, and pop it in. Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: