Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Going racing at Mid-Ohio this weekend!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Going racing at Mid-Ohio this weekend!!! Reply with quote

WooHooo!!! The race season is upon us!!! We're back at it, at Mid-Ohio for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this weekend (4/4-6) with NASA and the GTS Challenge! Friday is practise sessions, but we'll be racing late in the afternoon (around 4PM) on both Sat and Sunday...

Unlike SCCA, NASA actually welcomes spectators, for a change - so if you want to come out and watch, please do! Please also do stop by and say hi, if you're in the area - you all know what my cars looks like!

As for the weather, it looks nice and warm on Friday, slightly cooler and partly cloudy Saturday, and cooler still (mid-40's) and chance of showers on Sunday. If you want to see some fun racing at a nice time, on one of the best tracks in the Midwest, now's the time! If you really want to see some good racing, come by on Sunday and pray for rain!

We have 10 cars signed up for the GTS Challenge so far, plus some other Porsches and Bimmers in faster classes, so there's going to be plenty of excitement to see...

GTS Challenge (series info):
http://www.924.org/GTSChallenge/

NASA Website (race weekend info, maps, schedule, etc.):
http://www.racenasa.com/
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO SPINNING ALLOWED!!! Have a great weekend! Dallas
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan, I'm really interested in seeing your lap times with the Michelin's as compared to the Hoosiers. Have fun this weekend!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! However it may be hard to tell; it's supposed to be really cold, and I've heard that the Michelins take some time to heat up, only sure to be aggravated if it's cold!

I may also take along a swaybar, try swapping it in...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the answer about the Michelins. It's hard to compare, since it's not 1-1 comparison; the Hoosiers, in addition to being wider, are on late-offset phonedials. The Michelins were on stock 924 5-lug spiderwebs. This meant the inner faces of the tires were even, resulting in an effective loss of 60mm of track front and rear going to the Michelins. Also, I only ran the Michelins to scrub them in, didn't go back out the next day after they were heat-cycled.

Sat in Qualifying was when I ran the Michelins. I turned 1:55's with them, down from a 1:54 in practice earlier that day on the Hoosiers. OTOH, that afternoon I ran 1:55's in the race on the Hoosiers. So preliminary indications seem to show no loss of speed. I'd say I'll be in very nice shape once I get spacers to get the tires back out to the corners and figure out the pressures to run the Michelins at. As far as feel, they felt fine...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelin's are slightly narrow from the Hoosier's? Since I don't have a Hoosier to compare I'm going to assume the Khumo's must be wider than the Pilot's. Was it difficult to get any heat in them? or are they designed not to over heat like the Hoosiers? Did you have them shaved? We've pretty much made up our minds to get them. Speaking of tires, I was with the car this weekend and inspected the Khumo's and found that one was completely worn down to the cord!! Needless to say we have a fresh one enroute.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's that I chose to go with a narrower tire for weight reduction. I have the 205/50 Pilots, run the 225/45 Hoosiers.

I don't think I had too much problem getting heat in them, maybe I slide around a lot more than most (driving style, I mean). I gave them time, a couple of laps to come up to temp, it was cold anyway, all our tires took time to come up to temp. Ambient was around 32 avg over the weekend.

I did not have them shaved. This design does not appear to suffer from the excessive wear you see in an unshaved Kumho. They have the lateral grooves half-depth, circumferential grooves full depth. This stabilizes the tread blocks, I believe, keeps them from folding over and chunking. They looked great after the first session from sticker. You can probably run them as an intermediate until the first layer of grooves goes away, maybe even longer (due to the deeper circumferential grooves) before any concern about running them in the wet.

As mentioned previously, they apparently do like time to come up to temp. Haven't raced on them yet, really, so can't comment.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: