Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

head removal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: head removal Reply with quote

Since I don't have a factory manual and I'm using the haynes book that doesn't tell me how to take off the exhaust manifold while the engine is still in the car any help will be apperciated greatly. Do i have to go from underneath the car to get to the other 4 bolts from the manifold?
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done this, but if I were about to, I'd spend about 1 sec thinking about how to remove the exhaust manifold before moving on and asking, "Can the exhaust manifold and head be removed as one?"
The most I've done in that area is remove-replace the turbo (without removing the exhaust manifold or head), so I know that can be detached. I've also removed the wastegate and exhaust, so they can be detached as well. I'm pretty sure you can remove the head with the manifold attached - then it would be easier to deal with those lower manifold bolts later while the whole assembly off the car.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throught about that to, but isn't the turbo attached to the manifold and I can only see two bolts on the turbo is there 3 bolts on it? I still have to go under the car to remove the exhaust pipe bolts right? I'm asking because I'm trying to find a better way to do this with out going under the car if I can.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - three bolts from turbo to manifold. It's a long time since I did it, but I did do it, so it's do-able (in-car detaching of the turbo from the manifold).
I never had to remove the head or exhaust manifold - so someone else will have to give details on reaching those manifold-to-head bolts.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you dont want to get under the car
thats kind of understandable though
not the point of my response ...
Depending on the shape
of the bolts they might not be able to
be cracked loose..I take my head off
with my big aftermarket header
attached ...I think your gonna have to
get under there to reach some bolts
you cant get from above...If you pull
the head youll be able to clean up the
piston tops at the cost of a head gasket
which only costs around 36.00.
You should be able to get the whole
exhaust manifold and head off if I can
do it with a after market header and head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jacked the car up and put it on jack stands, if there are three bolts on the turbo where is the third bolt located I still only see two bolts on the top? I felt around the manifold and didn't fell anything. If I take off the two turbo bolts and the two exhaust pipe bolts I should be able to pull the head and the manifold as one right?
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third bolt goes up into the exhaust manifold from below.

There's no way you're going to get the turbo off without getting under the car. There are three bolts (or studs) holding the turbo to the exhaust manifold. The one you can't see is the one you're going to have to get under the car to get. There are also four small bolts holding the turbo's bracket to the engine block. They are very difficult to get out and even more difficult to get in. Then there are four bolts holding the exhaust pipe to the turbine. Then remove the J-pipe between the exhaust manifold and the wastegate. Once you remove all those, and drop the turbo, you can remove the cylinder head to get to the exhaust manifold.

In my case, I removed the suspension crossmember, swaybar, starter, and wastegate to make the job easier.
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, Your saying that I have to remove the turbo to remove the cylinder head?
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I don't know if you can leave the turbo on to remove the head and exhaust manifold. For some reason, I assumed you wanted to take the turbo off. Sorry about that. Either way, the third bolt (or stud) is right between the turbo and the engine block. It's quite difficult to get to.
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the head with the exhaust manifold in place, just remove the J pipe to the wastegate and the 3 bolts on the turbo.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much That what I need to know Since you have been repair 931 since 1977 what's a good web site to order parts from at a reasonable price?
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very good parts guy at one of our local Porsche garages that almost always matches any price I can get from anywhere else.

When I need just a few parts and I don't feel like driving 60 miles round trip to the Porsche garage, I've had great success with:

www.eurowebparts.com
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new problem, I can't get the bolts off of the top of the turbo I shattered a u-joint on the allen head bolt and this after I been spraying the bolts with penatrating oil for about 5 days.I don't want to break the bolt in the turbo. Any suggestion will help me out. If you look down at the turbo at the passenger side of the car the two bolts on the turbo from the manifold are the right bolts?
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you do break the bolt it won't be that big a deal as you will be able to drill and extract it later. YOu might try heating the nut to see if it will break free.

Your going to want new hardware anyway if yours are that bad. Stainless studs don't cost all that much, just have to find a supplier.

You have to have a pretty good tool to get in there and use an impact to go back and forth to break it loose.

It is a bitch no way around it. Once you get it back together and if you ever have to take it apart, things will be alot easier. Your dealing with 20 years of rust there.

I haven't read the string of posts yet, If I can I'll give it a look and see if there is any advice I can give.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the nuts you are after:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: