Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1996 LT1 into a 924
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamez  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: 1996 LT1 into a 924 Reply with quote

I have begun my project of installing an LT1 in my car. so far I have only removed the porsche motor out of my car, and have taken measurements and can say that it is going to be a very tight fit... I will be taking pictures of the whole process and will have a web page up soon, I hope to have it put together in less than two months (hope is the key word here I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I get the webpage up....
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to make your own conversion parts, or are you getting something along the lines of a renegade hybrids conversion kit and putting a 944 torque tube and transmission in?
jamez  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be making all the conversion components myself...
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you take photos and measurements and stuff like that so people who want to do this in the future have an idea
jamez  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, I am planning on documenting the whole process. right now I am just waiting on the clutch and flywheel (from a Z-28. ), then I will get started on it...
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made all my own components for my conversion as well.....although I won't be able to give you any pointers for the next month ( going out to sea on a deployment). I have talked about the conversion lots on the board..and a search with my user name should find you alot of info of what I ran into.

Just be prepared for MANY unseen hurdels.... besides ...you wouldn't have taken the job on if you weren't prepared for the challange.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jamez  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I have seen the pictures of your car Porschev, looks great.. best of luck on your deployment...
turbobob9242  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: RE V8 swap in 924 Reply with quote

Drop me an email! We can share swap problem stories.

I have a chevy V-6 in my 924 turbo now.

I'm upgrading with a Buick turbocharged GN motor!

www.turbo924.com

bward@newtekdata.com
jamez  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I got a 951 tranny on saturday.. I just got the bellhousing from a 96 camaro which I was planning on using since I want to use a z-28 clutch and whatnot.. The camaro bellhousing sticks out a little too far on the clutch lever/slave cylinder part.. so I can either cut into the hump in my car, or consider using a different bellhousing... the camaro bellhousing will make the job very simple, all I will have to do is make a plate to bolt the torque tube to the bellhousing... someone said something earlier about hydraulic throwout bearings?? how does this work and would it allow me to get rid of the part of bellhousing thats in the way??
besides that everything is going fine.... the two major parts of the job are mating the engine to the torque tube, and making motor mounts... I'm not even worried about the engine mounts, but right now I have to make some decisions about the bellhousing... I have also taken out the pop up headlights and have made headlight covers with acrylic, and have started to make the headlight buckets, here are the lights I am going to use

http://www.hellausa.com/maineng/lev1b/lev2bb/lev3bbc/90mm%20module.html

I promise I will have pictures of everything up soon but right now since I haven't done any fabricating yet its not that important.... if anyone has some good imput on the bellhousing, besides buying one from renegade which is $1200 more than i want to spend, let me know.... thanks

RIP Barry Sheene, one of the greatest motorcycle riders ever....
jamez  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some info on hydraulic t.o. bearings, they look pretty cool. i guess thats the way to go. here is one I am looking at

http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/afcostore/getproduct.cfm?CategoryID=7&ClassID=75&SubclassID=372&ProductID=6685

anyone know if that is a good price?
plunger  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check to see if the t.o. bearing is recommended for street use. When I talked to a tech guy at Mcleod he would not recommend useing his hyd. t.o. bearing in a street car. Also I believe Tilton offers bearings to suit a number of different styles of clutches. Choose carefully.
Do you have room between the torque tube and the bellhousing to put in an adapter plate. On a 951 my measurements said there was not enough room, although I did have an automotive bellhousing of undetermined origin.
Rob
jamez  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I will easily have enough room to make an adapter plate, I think what I will do is weld the adapter plate to the torque tube, that way it will bolt up directly to the tranny bolt holes on the bellhousing. I think the hyrdaulic T.O will be ok for street use, I have found a couple webpages with people putting them on street cars... check this one out..

http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/afcostore/getproduct.cfm?CategoryID=7&ClassID=75&SubclassID=367&ProductID=3952
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamez......here is what I did to tackle that problem.......I too tried to use a camaro style bell housing....even cut out the firewall to make room for the HUMP...but it didn't work out too well for me so I switched to a 1994 chev truck bell housing. It uses a hydraulic slave as well...but it is angled down under the car on the passenger side completely out of the way....like it was made for the job. also for my adadter plate i went to a junk yard,,,,found an old 5 speed tranmission.......and i literally cut the front of the tranny off with a zip wheel so all i had left was a flat plate that matched all the blot pattern for the chevy bell housing. this will help you getting the 'adapter' centered to the bell housing. The next thing you are going to notice is the factthat your 'drive shaft or pilot shatft' is too short to protrude out far enough into the pilot bearing. That can be addressed by two ways......you can have the tourbue tube stortened by the difference (10cm) if I recall right. or you have have to put a shaft extension..I wouldn't go that way tho...i don't think there would be enough spline to allow the clutch to move properly. I had pics of all this stuff....but my wife formatted the computer and deleted all my pics...now everything is in the car..THANKS BABE The draw back to shortening the torque tube is The cost (machine shop time) it puts the bell housing very close to the firewall. but give you good room up front!! I will aslo tell you that I had my drive shatt modified also.........but I could have changed the center of the clutch as well. I had the porsche splines cut off a flange welded on with four blot holes that bolt on a flanged chev input shaft..I admit this will be the weak point of the sytem...better here than the tranny I say. ...Well there...thats the way I tackled that problem........seems I have come soooo far....but have soooo far to go yet.

Good Luck

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jamez  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the input.. I like the idea of cutting off the front of the tranny, i might look into that.. what I was planning on doing with the drive line was to bring it into the driveline shop and have them weld a chevy spline onto it, and also make it protrude the right length and everything, I think they can do this, I have had them shorten drivelines for me in the past (not a porsche driveline).. I think i will try the hydraulic T.O. bearing, although i am a little worried about it.. for example, if it ever fails (which it will someday) I will have to take everything apart. also I guess they are difficult to get set up right. but the plus side is that i can just remove the clutch fork and cut off the part of the bellhousing thats in the way..

Porschev, were you able to keep power brakes? I know the renegade kit does away with them, from the measurements i have taken I think I will have to take the brake booster off too, but Im not sure yet.... also, how much of a problem was the cross member and sway bar? thanks for the help
beario  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: v8 conversions Reply with quote

hey guys,sounds interesting what you have done,i use the 944 lsd turbo box and torque tube with a custom made cold drawn steel shaft,identical to the original just about 1 inch longer to fit inside the rover cranshaft snuggly,also used the rover bell housing cut the back of it and mounted it to the porsche t.tube....p.s if you know anyone who wants to do a rover conversion i ha a full kit for sale 2 manifolds,1 lightened ali flywheel porsche with rover crankshaft bolt pattern,1 brand new sachs spring plate clutch kit,2 motor mounts,1 conversion plate that mounts rover to porsche t.tube had in my car for a while...changing conversion so hence for sale....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: