Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

which coilover kit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandgroper  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: which coilover kit? Reply with quote

The 2 i am looking at are,paragon $240 hypercoil springs,and the Ground control $199 eibach springs.THE REASON is i am going to 7x16 928 trashlid wheel and dont want to run a spacer.
What spring poundage should i use,cars use is road and a few hillclimbs it already has HD Bilsteins.The other question is the 924 stuts neck down from 52.2 to 48.3 so what method is used to secure the alloy threaded part,i have seen the factory set-up and it uses a welded ring and some kind of epoxy,anyone been their done that.
porschetroy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a set on my '82 931 that are identical to the ones offered by Paragon. I got mine from another 931 that someone was parting out and I eventually bought. In order to take up the slop between the threaded aluminum sleeve and the necked-down strut body, I inserted a couple o-rings around the strut housing so that the sleeve would fit tight over them. It seems to work fine. I also cut off the cup for the larger diameter OE springs. The springs that I got off the other car are 285# and I'm using 47115 bilsteins. It's a pretty good setup especially for autocross. The ride on the street is not harsh at all (except when you hit potholes). I'm not real happy with bilsteins though; the fronts seem to stick and not move freely, the rears actually lifted my car about an inch. I'm planning on getting some Koni yellows for the front and see how that goes. The nice thing about the paragon style kit is that you can use wider tires and wheels with the smaller diameter springs. Be careful to line up the springs each time you lift the front of your car. The smaller springs fall free when you lift it and you must center it back on the upper hat when you lower it.

I also noticed that my parts car had an updated 944 part number one-piece upper strut mount which I used to replace the 924 part.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on those o-rings - I ended up having my struts machined to get a really nice collar made out of the stock spring perch for the threaded collar to sit on.

I've been using Konis, but hate the way they fade on-track. I'm looking forward to having properly valved Bilstein race struts and shocks this season. I already have the Bilstein HD's on the 82 turbo for the street, and love them (Compared to the Konis).

Regarding setting the springs when dropping the car - get helper springs!!! That's what they're made for! Paragon has them, as does any race shop.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
porschetroy  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess I should get helper springs! I keep forgetting about those. Vaughan, don't they also require some sort of sleeve that mates the two springs together?

So you don't like Konis huh? Well, I don't like the Bilsteins and was planning on switching to Konis. I guess I'll just take my chances.

Thanks Vaughan, Troy
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I think you're talking about street shocks; I'm talking about getting a set of Bilstein Motorsport shocks/struts custom-valved for my setup.

I don't believe the helper springs require any special sleeve, but give Jason @ Paragon a ring - they're only like $19 ea. Or wherever else you might choose to get them.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
sandgroper  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input,going with ground control kit with 250# springs after response to this thread and researching old posts.thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: