Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

951 into a 924?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBass  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy notion here, why not weld up a crossmember out of tube steel? You could make mounting provisions for the 944 engine, and fit it for the 924 engine bay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
denis durrell  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass.. yeah, i guess. I don't know.. I do know that it would be more expensive to go to a yard and just get the right part. That's super basic... provided that one has the funds. Of course this is due to the fact that I don't have easy access to a metal working area (nor have any knowledge). When the time comes, I think I am going to keep my eyes peeled for a whole car (salvage, wrecked - I did find a 87 951 for US$1800.00 from an unfortunate bloke on Rennlist- so deals can be found). I think part by part is a foolish idea due to cost.

If that particular piece is no good (like the crossmember), it would just mean that I would have to make a separate purchase.

re: the front.. IMO the only reason (aside from appearance) why Porsche did a front spoiler/diffuser the way they did, was for the sole purpose of allowing the the intercooler to be be placed in the front (instead on top of the engine). it'd be nice to keep the look the same for a 924, but in this case, function must follow form. creatively, one could do a gt-racing "carrera gt" or "gtr" front end. at elast it would be different and not maintain that "sleeper" look. the stock 951 front end does not look as exciting as the other types (IMO). Carrera GT Optik?
86 944 LA1Y (Beige metallic, auto)
87 BMW 325es black, 5sp, lsd
---
78 924 red, the cops got it with me in it, in 2002
CBass  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 951 front end really makes the 924 look like a newer car though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
denis durrell  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB.. true, i won't disagree with that, but it also comes down to a person's intended purpose for the car, such as every-day-driver or an every-once-in-a-while-drive-to-kick-butt-most-of-the-time-track+autocross-driver. some of that carbon fiber stuff doesn't always (if ever) give the appearance of factory steel. it doesn't seem to fit too perfectly!
---
CBass  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just fiberglass I think, and that stuff is pretty easy to work with, you can build it up and sand it down until it fits perfectly

Of course, that's a lot more work than some people are willing to do.

As for the crossmember, that wouldn't be hard for any experience welder to do with mild steel tube.

If you could get someone with a mandrel to bend the tube, and someone with a welder to weld it, you'd be set
john h  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denis durrell wrote:
I was thinking along the same route re: a 951 and have been since I got my car.. I look forward to the day where I can tear up (top to bottom) my 924 and completely clean it out.

The path of least resistance and obviously the most expensive would be on a part-by-part basis (ouch). But I have the luxury of having a couple of parts places nearby: Parts Heaven (Hayward, Ca), EASY Porsche (Emeryville, Ca), and Silver Star Recycling (Sacramento, Ca) with a ton of wrecked cars.

I am still wondering about that crossmember thing
it's all relative, of course. hopefully this will turn into a good thread... any thoughts from the rest of the peanut gallery?

Dennis I was looking at a 944 turbo yesterday and a 931 both in the same shop and there is a substantial difference between the mounting of the cross members. The 924/31 has the cross member bolted to the chassis rails by two nuts immediately above the lower arm mounting points. On the 944 they use bolts which are about an additional 50 mm above the lower arms mounting point and then the cross member is about 75 mm thick at this point whereas the 924/31 unit is only about 5 mm thick .

It’s not impossible to dump a 951 into a 931, but in my view, it would be easier to get a front cut. Even if the front cut damaged you can still use this as pattern to cut the lower rails of the 924/31 to allow the use of a 951 cross member. The other way is to forget about using the 951 cross member and support the motor and transmission in the car and then just fabricate up completely new engine mounts. This would be easier than pissing around trying to get the 951 cross member lined up to the 931 shell.

Parts haven should be able to supply you with a front cut at cheap rate especially as you don't really need a mint unit. On their site http://www.partsheaven.com/pages/prior.html they show a car wpoab0946hn474814 which would eb ideal fro a front cut.

If you have alook at the 924 register and look under my name and at one of the 931's and the 79 924 you'll see the before pictures of my race car.
These two cars were unpicked on factory seams and joined to make one. Thats what you' would need to do with any front cut.

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
denis durrell  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, that's interesting information. I will have to take a look at this situation and, based on your observations, re-think more of an exact approach. Cutting the body to accomplish the intended goal doesn't seem to be very elegant though. hmm.

I haven't been able to look at both of my cars on jack stands and take measurements yet, but I won't discount anything you are saying. I will have to take the crossmember document with me.

Anyone know of similar data in the 924 factory manual (like what page(s))?
---
john h  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denis durrell wrote:
Anyone know of similar data in the 924 factory manual (like what page(s))?

Pages 50-08 and 50-09 of the 924 manual.
Most dimensions are the same. One noticable difference was the distance "D" in the 944 side member locating hole to front cross member rear bolt was given as 599 mm+/-3mm with distance "E" to the front bolt as being another 120mm. giving total distance from side member hoel to front bolt of 720mm +/- 3mm whereas on the 924 the distance from the side member hole to teh front bolt is 676.5mm +/-3.

When you look at a 924 next to a 944 at the front it is quite clear the difference to cross member mountings, even with the undertray's on.

CBass  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the custom crossmember would be the way to go, since once it was finished, any 944/968 engine could be used as well.

It seems like a lot less work to do the measurements, make the cuts, and have someone weld it up, and would probably cost considerably less.

Also, this would provide a pattern to other people who want to try the same thing
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't the 924S have a similar crossmember, due to the same engine as the 944?
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
john h  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1982Porsche924 wrote:
Shouldn't the 924S have a similar crossmember, due to the same engine as the 944?

Yes it does have similar or identical to the 944 - hence the front legs of the chassis are slightly different from the 924/931.

You can use it but you still have to cut and weld to make it fit a 924 shell

simsport  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Cross Members...been done here Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a 924 with a 924s engine it and a welded crossmember which does not require a chassis weld.

It was fairly complex but proves it can be done. He sprints the car.

The man who did the work was Colin Belton of 9m in warrington england.

I dont suppose he would have the specs/dimensions but it may worth a call. He is on 01925 242342.

Cheers
Simon
CBass  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, that's what I was thinking, but I was meaning to start from scratch. All you'd really need would be to get a 944 crossmember, and figure out the measurements.

All it would need to do is mount in the same location as the 924 Xmember, and have mounting provisions like the 944 Xmember.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's proof that the 951 engine can at least be bolted in to a 924:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2405536228&category=6431
denis durrell  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of interesting data here. tried to email the above ebay seller for more info and the site said:

"Warning: Unable to send your question(s) and forward a copy (Bcc) of your message. Unfortunately, we were unable to send your question(s) to the eBay user via email nor were we able to forward a copy to you. You may both be experiencing problems receiving email at this time. Where can we take you?"

Bummer, guess I can try again later.
---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: