Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

I may get blasted for this but.........
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: I may get blasted for this but......... Reply with quote

My white 924 project has been sitting dormant for a long time now and I think I have run out of steam on the turbo/EFI project.......mostly because I got a 931 in much better condition to start out with.

I am seriously considering converting my 924 n/a to electric. I've always wanted an EV, and I only work 4 miles from home. I've seen several other 924 and 944 conversions to EV and they look really cool. The motor I am looking at is 108 hp and 30hp at near stall with almost 400 ft/lbs of torque and it is $1800 (and weighs 166 lbs). Cost would be $5000-6000 for all new parts/batteries/motor/controller/charger/extras etc..

Imagine, a 924 with no engine problems, minimal moving parts, no cooling system, no oil or fuel problems. About 1/3 the cost per mile (with the exception of the initial build cost). No more Porsche/VW engine parts. It is sounding better and better the more I think about it.....and my 924 na is already lightened to below 2400 lbs, then take out 400lbs of engine and ancillary parts (but add back in 500+ lbs of batteries and electric motor) and it is a pretty great bed for an EV.

What is everybody else's thought on this?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the resources go for it but get a digital camera

and I am sure that you could sell you 924 NA w/ the BAE turbo kit to help pay for the EV parts

just keep us informed
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Imagine, a 924 with no engine problems

Imagine a 924 with even more electrical problems

Cool idea. Now where did I put that steam engine I had.....

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's final! I am going to pickup the motor this Saturday........anybody interested in a turbo kit that has a brand new turbo?
81turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool idea, Are you going to put your Gembella body kit on the turbo?
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering it, but then again, I was considering making molds of the kit so I could make copies, but I obviously have too much on my plate as it is, so that will probably never happen.

Actually, I was considering converting the turbo to a Carrera GT replica.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound like a cool idea but you need to get a G31 to have a real CGT replica does your 931 already have one
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the electric, it looks like you spent a lot of time doing this modification, to quit now seems silly, especially with so much time and money invested. Plus, the car looks great. I think you should finish up, because later on you might regret turning the car into an electric. Plus, the car will be very quiet (something i dont really line), whenever i bike, I can never hear electric cars coming, so it really scares me when they drive by. (I live in the Silicon Valley, we have electric cars everywhere)
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, I have become completely bored with the 924 project. In addition to that I never really expected to finish all my ideas on that particular car, it was purchased for an educational experience and not much more. I now have a running (although rough) 931 that I would like to apply my experiences on and move on with the first car, and converting it to electric is pretty much the best option for it in it's current state. I have already removed many of my parts from the white car and put them in my 931. I may have a short attention span, but I don't really have any desire to continue with the turbo conversion on the N/A and I haven't worked on it at all since July.

Most of my drive to work is on the freeway (and it's only 3.5 miles), so bike traffic isn't really an issue there.

The 931 I have is a 1980, so yes, it already has a G31.
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the electric motor is now sitting in my van, so it's a done deal.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheres the digital cam and pics
Swiss  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I may get blasted for this but......... Reply with quote

Alex Roy wrote:
The motor I am looking at is 108 hp and 30hp at near stall with almost 400 ft/lbs of torque and it is $1800 (and weighs 166 lbs). Cost would be $5000-6000 for all new parts/batteries/motor/controller/charger/extras etc..

Imagine, a 924 with no engine problems, minimal moving parts, no cooling system, no oil or fuel problems. About 1/3 the cost per mile (with the exception of the initial build cost). No more Porsche/VW engine parts. It is sounding better and better the more I think about it.....and my 924 na is already lightened to below 2400 lbs, then take out 400lbs of engine and ancillary parts (but add back in 500+ lbs of batteries and electric motor) and it is a pretty great bed for an EV.

What is everybody else's thought on this?

I think it's pretty cool Go for it! How do you get 400 ft/lbs at 108hp?! Does that mean your going off the line pretty quick? or just sit and peel out? Many of us know very little about EV's...

Good luck!

Swiss
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's the EV conversion going? Did you make sure to take pictures?
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still working on taking out the gas engine and parts. I have to sell the parts to fund getting the EV parts, so nothing is installed yet......and yes, I am going to take many pictures along the way.
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering about the ev conversion. U get started on it?
Bae turbo kit
to check out my 944 S2 http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=388139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: