Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

WOW Porsche Carrera GT. It so
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you 100% sure it didn't come off a late style 944 as they changed it and made it so it was only held on w/ some screws.
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
are you 100% sure it didn't come off a late style 944 as they changed it and made it so it was only held on w/ some screws.

I think the 924S he referred to is the same. I'll find out for certain this weekend.

If I can take the front panel off the 924S, I am going to steal the rubber grommets that hold the hood emblem from the 924S to use on the 924 since the 924 panel can't be removed and then use the back fasteners on the 924S to attach the 924S emblem.
Click here to view them:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fastners that hold the porsche emlem are the same for all of them I believe ie 911,914,924,924S,944,951 etc
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
the fastners that hold the porsche emlem are the same for all of them I believe ie 911,914,924,924S,944,951 etc

Originally, that may be correct. However, my 924S emblem is now held by rubber grommets that have been placed in the holes. It's a pretty slick solution. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find these grommets anywhere.
Click here to view them:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu, do you have a picture of the grommets? You might be able to get something similar at a hardware store.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that the flares that GT Racing sells are from original GT moulds.
He bought the moulds.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the molds were made off the orginal pieces. The ones from GT racing dont fit well in my opinion.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey someone in my area is parting out an 86 944 Turbo. How does the fenders and front look on those?? (havent seen it) Opinions!!
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suggesting that if you get the two fenders and the bumper cover that you get the metal for the flippers as well. They are different from the 924/944 type.

You will need different lights too. They look expensive to me. On second thought buy the whole car. Problably cheaper.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flipper or head light covers are longer since the 951 nose is more curved the car is longer

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy whole car... Got it!
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

On my 924S the front emblem panel is fastened at the top with 4 screws but it appears to be riveted along the bottom. Nevertheless, by removing the screws I was able to reach behind the panel and pop out the plastic inserts that held the emblem.

I re-attached the emblem on the 924S with the standard back fasteners that come with the emblems and I will use the plastic inserts on the 924 since getting to the back of the panel is a real pain.

Note I said plastic. These are not rubber grommets as I first suspected. These are hard plastic inserts that look like a donut from the top and a "T" from the side (sorry, couldn't get a photo to come out).

I am going to see if I can track down more of these since they are a much better solution than the fasteners that go on the back.
Click here to view them:
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These little fasteners don't prevent the emblem from being stolen though. I know from experience... They were the standard method on 951 to afix the hood badge as well.

Someone not too long ago (w/i last 3 months) came up with the part number for the plastic insert that secures the hood badge. Check the archives. Don't know if they'll work to hold down other types of badges/emblems.
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These little fasteners don't prevent the emblem from being stolen though. I know from experience... They were the standard method on 951 to afix the hood badge as well.

Someone not too long ago (w/i last 3 months) came up with the part number for the plastic insert that secures the hood badge. Check the archives. Don't know if they'll work to hold down other types of badges/emblems.
john h  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Ponz wrote:
How high is up.

Please explain a little more precisely. I am having a hard time seeing it.

Maybe my fault.

What I also did was to put another layer of fiberglass on the inside of the flares. When I was bolting them on I used my foot to push the flare closer
to the body and I had a nice star burst on the side. I put a very thin coat of Poly filler and it is now gone. To avoid it in the future I added the new layer.

Hey guys, it is not for the faint hearted. There is a lot of work that goes into doing this project. If you sight along the line of the flare you will notice irregularities that have to filled in, chips, straighten wavy lines, prime paint the flare for small pin holes, sand paper scratches, remove gloss from flare for the paint to adhere, fit the fender and some others I forget. This is for the guys who want to street the car as well as track the car. Only a track car then you may skip the above.

High in my case was marking where the top of the flare was and then cutting 40mm below that line at the top and part of the side - so you end up the font and rear almost the same as the 924 guard but the top looks funny when the flare isn't in place - I have some photo's soem place of the first attempt but not of the second. I'll see if I can dig them out and sent them to you.

As for the finish it depends on your moulds - mine turned out pretty well as the first part of the mould was taken while the flare was on the car. What you have to remember is the original flares are a deformable glass reinforced urethane (factory words) and are really very floppy when off the car. Hence if the mould is taken while the flare is sitting on the ground the edges that attach to the car can be a bit wavy. Like most fibreglass work - the finish depends on the quality of the mould, the use the mould has had and the experience of the people doing the laying up. All my moulds have had a trial panel made and a high gloss finish applied - from that we can tell where the ripples and holes are and the fabricator has then gone back and filled and polished those areas - Plastic Baldy from Aussie probably knows more about this than me since (I think ) he does it for a job

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: