Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

WOW Porsche Carrera GT. It so
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

944 turbo fenders and valance are different. Get all the parts from the same car.

Turbo fenders cut forward differently than regular fenders. Then the flippers for the headlights are different too. Try buying them vs the reg. 924/944 light flippers.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any at the moment unless you want fiberglass GT rascing units and the GTS nose

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Ponz about the wheel well , I think if you try to cut and bend the wheel well to meet the new dementions of the original fender , the metal will need relief cuts were the metal is round and it will come up like spread fingers, and youll have to make a few triagle shaped patches . I think it would be easier to cut the wheel well down the middle in line with the tire , and remove the outer half completely , then take a 8-10 inch wide ,30 inch long strip of sheet metal ,and bend it around the wheel well trim to fit and tack it in place, for a cleaner appearence . maybe even carry the wheel well out past the original fender to the fender flair and use epoxy to bond the wheel well to the flair for more structural support for the flair. ( epoxy will stick to fiberglass and metal but fiberglass resin will not stick to epoxy ,I dont know if fiberglass resin sticks to metal.)
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

944 turbo fenders and headlight flippers are different than a regular 944. Buy the stock 944 parts they are cheaper. They fit fine and you don't have to buy the flippers.

I have put extra wide 944 type rear fenders on a car and thing they look weird. We also put on the extra large rear spoiler on the car and it obstructed the sight out the back.
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this is what I have done just now. I removed all the bolts I could find and the fender does not want to come off. I have brought a diagram of this.

ok whats in red i have removed all the bolts that meet at where the hood(bonnet) is at. also the three red bolts that connect to the front facia(under the circle turnsignal). Also removed the one screw at the bottem. Anything else. What seems to be the problem is the part circled in yellow. It doesnt want to come off. Vince you said the bolts at the firewall????? Where???

The whole pannel feels lose but that part up front that connects by the light seems stuck somehow.

PS I have removed the bumber and front facia. any other bolts ive missed.

Oh yeah quick question also the part that is colored blue white, how will the new 944 fender meet with it. Will it be flush or will i need a sideskirt to look flush.

Thanks again

DIAGRAM
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1132535
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 3 bolts buried under the dum-dum (body caulk) at the very back of the fender, holding it to the a-pillar. In yellow there is a small bolt that is a real PITA to get at. Raise the headlight, remove the rubber piece (just pull it out), and there will be another bolt in there. I have to use a 1/4" drive with u-joint to get it out.

Enjoy!#@^$!@@#!!!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Ok I got the front bolt and the half of the fender is floating in the air. I guess what i am missing is the elusive 3 bolts near the back. Are they by the door(do i have to remove it), or should I look underneath the fender towards the back. I really cant find any bolts.

Any help!
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two more according to your diagram, get the old box knife out

get to them from the wheel well, about center line of the space along the backside of the door jam. Just get a good light and maybe you can make out the rise in the putty, ten mm if I remember, same as the rest of them.

Someone needs to take a pic and post it. I wil this weeknd unless osmoen beats me too it.

The link I gave you email Jeff for a pic he has two cars of mine without fenders

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
john h  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFB Camaro have alook here http://groups.msn.com/924CarreraGTInfoSite/shoebox.msnw?Page=1&pgmarket=en-nz
This is my Carrera GT replica. I made it in around about 1986/87 and used fibreglass 944 front fenders and 944 front spoiler. The early 944 spoiler and fenders are what you want to use as they are very similar to the GT. Later ones especially those of the 944T are different and in my opinion make the car look like a real crossbred.

The front bumpers on the NZ cars were a thick fibreglass and we trimmed it to suit the gap in the 44 spoiler. I filled in the gap with a urethane sealant to make it look like a GT but shortly after doing the conversion had to remove the front and replace it (due to a dick head backing into it) and I never got around to refilling the gap and making it look like a GT front. The photo's don't show it but I've put in two extra grilles (where the Euro spoilers had spotlights) below the bumper - this allows cold air to flow directly onto the original turbo oil cooler.
At the back if you put flares on make sure you cut the steel fender up as high as possible. The first attempt by my body guy wasn't higher enough - he reckoned it was and on a 600 mile trip I cut new rain grooves into my brand new tyres. I then modified the fenders myself and cut them higher and then bent the fender out to meet the line of the flare and had a smooth edge on the lip so it wouldn't cut the tyre.
Also I'd recommend bolting the flares on - the first set was glued on and I spun off the track in the wet at 100mph+ into some mud and the force of the mud and water coming up into the wheel well ripped the flare off. The new glues now would probably be ok for road use but I'd still bolt them

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high is up.

Please explain a little more precisely. I am having a hard time seeing it.

Maybe my fault.

What I also did was to put another layer of fiberglass on the inside of the flares. When I was bolting them on I used my foot to push the flare closer
to the body and I had a nice star burst on the side. I put a very thin coat of Poly filler and it is now gone. To avoid it in the future I added the new layer.

Hey guys, it is not for the faint hearted. There is a lot of work that goes into doing this project. If you sight along the line of the flare you will notice irregularities that have to filled in, chips, straighten wavy lines, prime paint the flare for small pin holes, sand paper scratches, remove gloss from flare for the paint to adhere, fit the fender and some others I forget. This is for the guys who want to street the car as well as track the car. Only a track car then you may skip the above.
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way how do i remove the front panel where the porsche badge is at. The nose piece in between the headlights??

Thanks
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well afb it is called a header panel and is spot welded on to the car, to get it off you have to drill out all of the spot welds, in my opinion some had fun on mine they went nuts, once you have drilled out all the spot welds you might need to use a screwdriver to pop it off the rest of the body, and you will need to pull the bumper to be able to get the bottom spot welds off
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot welded

Thanks lizard... Its staying on!!
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i say that it is a good idea to leave it on, IMO it is a PITA to get it off
81turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once when I was at a pick and pull yard, I saw a guy walking out with a header panel off a 924S. It wasn't drilled out and he didn't seem to have many tools with him. It even looked straight. I was baffled. I should have asked him what spell he used to get it off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: