Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931s Dominate 944 Cup, Organizers Comtemplate Name Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwak  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting string going here. Very tempting to give it a shot but as always have a lot of irons in the fire. Am I missing something or has nobody thought of the 924S? Would it be stripped down to 2000#'s?

dwak
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try this series with Peter H. What are the schedule dates?
Carnut 280  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 924S allowed in the 944 cup series?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason why not
John Brown  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: 924S and schedule Reply with quote

Vince & Co.:

The 924S is specifically included in the 944 Cup. However, it is treated essentially as a 944 and so is not the subject of this thread. It runs at (I think) the basic 2800 lb race weight. Note that 944 Cup weights include driver vs the PCA weights which are without driver.

The schedule for the 944 Cup is posted on the 944 Cup Forum discussion page. See http://www.944Cup.com and go to the Forums section.

The 944 Cup is run mostly under sanction of NASA. NASA will allow, I think, one race with another bodies competition license; after that you must apply for a NASA competition license. Don't remember the details of conversion. For those who do not currently have some competition license and who wish to get a NASA license the first competition school is Feb 21 (Friday) down at VIR. The kicker is that you must have a car that is qualified to pass the tech. Big items implied by this is full cage, cutoff switch, and seat. Driver must have suit, shoes, etc. (Note also that NASA has been requiring the steering anti-theft lock be removed. Not hard to do and it makes the car easier to move around the paddock anyway.)

At least one 944 Cup round is being run under other-than-NASA and so you can use PCA or SCCA or NASA competition license for that round. This is the Jefferson 500, by Brian Redmon at Summit Point.

Suggest for further details about specific cars, tech, etc, use the 944 Cup forum. Dave Derecola checks this forum frequently and I and Vaughan do what we can; but for the real deal on the 944 Cup you will get quicker and more focused resolution going directly to the site.

John.

PS: Assuming anything on mine may be indicative of all. The 931 firewall is cracking behind the clutch master cylinder mounting. Crack originates from the outermost stud and is propagating downward. We are welding the crack and then spotwelding a doubler on the engine side of firewall. Not an easy place to reach
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And yes, John and Dave are right - what's the point of sticking to an obsolete classification when your odds are so much better elsewhere?!? I'm getting pretty ready to move on from ITA - don't even think I'm likely to bother with any SCCA events next year.[/quote]

Vaughan, have you heard about SCCA SPU class. This is for cars under 2.0 litre with unlimited prep. I don't know all the details yet but it would allow you to add all the fiberglass, etc and is a place in the SCCA that the 924 could play in as well. A buddy of mine is seriously looking into that for this season. He runs a 924 as well and is also looking at running the 944 Cup too. There's now an outside chance of potentially 4 924's at the Jefferson 500 this spring!!!

Jeremy
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm familiar with SPU. The only drawback is less competition than ITA.

Very glad to hear about the prospect of more 924's! That will all help ensure that we're given the opportunity to be fully competitive with the 944's.

I do hope all 924 drivers are planning on taking full advantage of the excellent options Dave has lined up for us to get inexpensive lightweight race parts (fiberglass and lexan) through 944Cup sponsors...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
944 Cup  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are gettin' pumped with the hope we will get a nice bunch of 2.0L '24's in the mix. Really, outside of the DP cars, when has it happened in your memory to have 3 or more 924's and 2 or 3 931's on the track going door to door.

I need to line up a sponsor dedicated to the model for prizes and trophy. Maybe the company Vaughn lined up for us if they join us.

Ps.
Don't foget the DynoBat dry cell battery thats saves you 25 lbs that are too high and too front.

DD
jjadczak  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I talked to my buddy yesterday who runs a 924 and is fed up with ITA. He wants to run NASA with the Cup as he is already involved with NASA Virginia. I'm working him over to make sure he comes out to the J500. He didn't know that we were eligible for the J500 because he just discovered your site(www.944cup.com). If he's not in for the J500 he surely will be for most other 944 cup rounds especially the ones at Summit...his shop is 8 miles down the road. It could happen this year that we could get 4 cars out at the J500. 924's Unite!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, you so gotta work him over...

Anyone I know? What's his name?
'82 931 Plat. Silver
944 Cup  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, nice going with another 924 guy. You and Vaughn are beginning to build a critical mass.

With 4 cars, and maybe more on the way, I see the need to promote a series within the series. Let's call it the 924GT Challenge. We can separately keep standings for the 924 cars competing in the Cup. The ultimate goal is still to have you compete with the 944 cars and be a part of the Cup overall points and standings, but this can be a way we recognize the extra effort being put in by 924 drivers to campaign this often overlooked model.

Even though the name may be considered by some to be a take off of the actual 924GT built by Porsche, it's what these 924's are becoming -- a GT race car, just with a more stock engine.

DD
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
teo  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any plan running on the Hungaroring in the near future?

jjadczak  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all in favor of an all 924 championship but we need the numbers. It looks like I'm probably going to do about 3 weekends with the Cup this year. Dave I really appreciate your looking out for us. BTW, gving up a double regional at Pocono which is a shorter ride for the car than it is to go to Summit in order to play in Round 2 of the Cup. I can't wait until then. Would love to obtain a second 924 dedicated to the Cup for me to play with my Dad and our existing 924 dual purpose car. Still waiting for Santa to drop that sachel of money I asked him though .

Jeremy
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh... I'm definitely gonna stay away from the Hungaroring, judging by that GTS j/k

I'm 100% committed, for now, to pursuing the 100% bolt-on dual-purpose car - it's just a question of how light I can get it and how competitive it is...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: