Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

I can't decide what route to go!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: I can't decide what route to go! Reply with quote

My interest is to Club Race and my car is almost mint. The problem I am dealing with is wether to strip the car down and make a racer or buy a racer(turnkey) or find a shell and build my own. I really hate the idea of tearing apart a 924S that is in as rare of condition it is. My thinking is to keep the car as is and enjoy it and build on a shell. What would you do??? Thx D
jesse wall  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stripping my 88 as you know interior had been redone right rr quarter panel had been replaced and motor replaced with one from 88 924 automatic so car while in very good shape ,was not original,my choice because I get to drive a lot , being 8 minutes from a track jesse
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 84 944 shell that you can have for free, I'm about to take it to the crusher.

It is truly a shell. No suspension, drivetrain, windows, hatch....
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build up a shell; most all you really want, except for maybe working interior (for PCA) and electrics, are the drivetrain; most suspension bits you end up wanting to change anyway....
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you want the entire car unless you have the space for a chassis to sit indefinitly. I've always imagined that to start out in racing you start stock and then work your way up as time and budget and experience allow. In fact you might start out with a NA 944 or 924 run for a season and then buy into what into the actual car, whether turn key or built. Converting a to a class can be fun as you will learn as you go.

If you build a GT class car you are going to need lots of cash and time on the track unless you intend to be at the end of the pack for the entire day.

I was told by a longtime PCA racer that you should start autoX first, and do you DE's and then after you get a understanding of the car , the class (your wanting to start in) and your time (spent) you can shoot for a goal of what kind of car to build. Depends on your experience level.

Of course your not stuck in PCA or in a Porsche you can do SCCA, COMMA, 944cup, OLoA, etc.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I suppose I should clarify... I meant that you'd want a complete but trashed car. Of course, it's a whole lot easier to buy a built car - there's usually plenty for sale on the 944Cup classifieds, both 944's and 924S's...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
TMB-Racing  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Agree with Vaughan-don't send a cherry to the track Reply with quote

I would think twice about sending a cream puff car out on the track. There are so many 944's, 924's, and 924S' that have ruined interiors and the like that would cost a fortune to restore. These are the car's to turn into racecars. I don't know how Vaughan's region is but where I road race there IS body contact once in a while if you plan to run up front. Even if it is not your fault -in a grid of 45 cars-a spinner in the middle of a corner is all it takes. A race car is not an investment-and you have to ask yourself if at any given time if you total your 8000 car if that is ok. Stuff happens. I would encourage you to race-there is nothing like it,but start out with a running, waterlogged,dinged,$600 924,paint it any color you want-bolt in racing seats-a cage and go! Good luck, Andrew

If speed kills, why am I still alive?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew - if you want an idea of what it's like in my region - take a look at the last video on my website! Contact is not possible, it's expected! Waterford cars have a reputation, you know, and pulling off passes on a 1.5 lane wide track often results in "smileys"...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
john h  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMB - Racing is correct - if you're going out to race then you've got to have the attitude that if the car gets smacked so what, I'll either fix it or throw it away depending upon the damage.

While I'm pissed off when my GT replica gets damaged, its life and if you can't afford to fix it or lose it then you shouldn't be out on the track, whether it be DE or racing.

I personally wouldn't take an immaculate car out on the track - I'd go for a scruffy example or buy one soemone has already tried to race and either lost interest in or graduated to a dfferent class.

I know from experience (and I wouldn't do it again) that it costs at least twice as much as you first thought to build a car from scratch into a race car.

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks!!! Reply with quote

My original intent was to buy a beater and convert to a racer. Then I ran into this car not knowing fully just how well kept and cherry it was. Looks can be deceiving! At my first DE a rep of PCNA(?) approached me asking about my 924s and commented on the condition and how rare it is to see this model in the shape it is. He was inquiring because of a model showing event that was coming up and wanted to show my car as an example of the 924s model. Well that got me rethinking the notion of racing it. But I can't have my cake and eat it too! In summary I am going to buy a race car that is ready to go minus the engine and drivetrain, rebuild an engine and tranny and go racing! In the meanwhile,I will DE the car till I am sure I am ready to race and have the racer finished. D
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you decided on a model?

There is a high mileage 924s on ebay that would be the perfect track car.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Good question! Not sure. 931 or early 924. I am open to what's best! Cost is a factor as well! My mind set is, DE my car till I am signed off. In the meantime I can go through the educational process of rebuilding a motor and tranny, if nothing else, just to gain more mechanical experience on Porsche's... My original goal was to "I" class my car and not do GT class but with the shape it is in as advised not to race it. So I decided to go with a racer that is built to hit stuff(so to speak!) Having SMILIES on the side of my car isn't a pleasant thought but on a racer such as Vaughan's I can live with that! Sooner or later the car will get bashed up and would rather put dents on a racer than a street car.....Thx D
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what are you saying about my car!?!?!
'82 931 Plat. Silver
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I read a post elsewhere about you having a dark circle or a dent on a fender! And you race SCCA which means you racers get "up close and personal!" hehe.....all in jest! My meaning was to have a car that is not going to set me back if crashed. I am assuming the 77 racer is all race car? Not streetable is it? D
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two words are brough to mind but I wouldn't suggest using a Porsche, Destruction Derby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: