Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

High pitch whistle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Porsche Dealerships now recommend the "front of engine" service be performed at 40K miles. Unfortunately, there have been numberous belt failures at less than 40K miles.

The cost of having the engine properly serviced early, at every 30K miles, is going to be much lower than the cost of repairing the cylinder head, or replacing the engine, should the belts fail for any reason (due to seized water pump, weakening due to oil leak, breakage due to old age, or failed pulleys or rollers, etc.).
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo!

""I do all my own repairs, maintanence, and modifications, and have since 77 on my Porsches. Can you say the same thing?""

Nope.

""Personally, I would own them, regardless of the "brand" stamped on the cars.""

While Porsche is certainly more than a name. I own the cars because they are Porsches. If they were VWs, I would own something else.

""924S/944 ownership expenses are much higher than those of the 924.""

This is a given.

""924s are cheaper to buy, run, and repair than 924S cars.""

Didn't you just say that?

""Other than the low HP, what's not to love?""

I love my 924, but it isn't a 924S just as it isn't a 944.

""You just bought your 924S, and maybe you haven't noticed all the activity on the board regarding broken belts,""

I am well aware of the issues because I have been a long time 944 fan. Originally, I was going to buy a 944 but when I saw the price of the 924S for a car in MUCH better condition, well... that clinched it.

""we'll see what you say when it happens to you.""

You can always hope I suppose.

Until it happens, I'll do my best to actually enjoy the car despite the almost certain doom that awaits us around the corner.

Happy Halloween
jcope  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get enough help, Gecko?
ProudGecko  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I think I've got enough help. Now that the thread has been over run by people talking about the expense of the car and how now one no what they're getting into and blah blah blah ... By the way my timing belt and waterpump were both replaced less than 10000 miles ago so i think i'll be ok in that department. The clutch will need to replaced soon, which I knew when I bought the car.

Thanks for all of your guys help. I'm sure I'll be posting again in the not too distant future.
87.924S  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting an 87 924S (how'd you guess?) soon, and I just wanted to say that I plan on reading and re-reading a lot of what gohim has had to say about maintanence of this car.

I plan on keeping it running well and will try to avoid any neglect that will lead to engine failure and the like.

Though gohim is mostly a pessimistic voice on this board, his knowledge and expertise is quite valuable, and I know a lot of us have picked up some important tips from him.

thnx
gohim  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning a 924S can be a great experience, and they can be extremely reliable cars.

Unfortunately, the 924S will never be a cheap car to own or operate.

If you buy one knowing that you will need to spend $2500-$3500 immediately, to bring the the condition up to snuff, and and spend an average of $1000-1200 a year, to keep up with the maintenance schedule, you will probably never get stuck at the side of the road.

If you stick your head in the sand, and drive it like a 10 year old chevy or rice rocket, you are bound get hammered with expenses that you weren't expecting. Within the first year the car will be parked in non-running condition, and the financial pain will not end until you bring the condition of the car up, or sell it.
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""Unfortunately, the 924S will never be a cheap car to own or operate. If you buy one knowing that you will need to spend $2500-$3500 immediately, to bring the the condition up to snuff, and and spend an average of $1000-1200 a year, to keep up"""

{{sigh}}
Click here to view them:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu2j

An 87 924S with a dead engine was just listed in the For Sale Section in VA.

This is exactly the type of situation that I have been commenting about.

Can you find out where this car is?

Maybe it's something that you would want for parts. At the very least, you could check it out, and let others who are looking for a project car know what kind of condition the rest of the car is in.
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>An 87 924S with a dead engine was just listed in the For Sale Section in VA.

Yep.

>>This is exactly the type of situation that I have been commenting about.

The PO (not the current seller) would have killed anything he owned.

>>Can you find out where this car is?

It is just few miles up the street from me.

>>Maybe it's something that you would want for parts.

I would love to have a parts car, but I have no place to put it.

>>At the very least, you could check it out, and let others who are looking for a project car know what kind of condition the rest of the car is in.

I have seen the car, I will post something in that forum.
Click here to view them:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: