Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Caterpillar Engine in 931

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bacook  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a nice yellow Cat Diesel engine and a 924 with a blown head gasket. Can I put the engine in retaining the stock hood, or will I need a hood scoop?
How do you think this will affect handling? If I put the trasmission in the rear, I should be able to retain near 50/50 balance.

http://members.rennlist.com/bcookt06394/cat.jpg

924 turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't affect handling at all. I'm sure the engine weighs about the same as the 924 engi...HEY! WAIT! Do I see TWO oil filters? Forget it. Too heavy.
Diesel  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have no problem with that 3208. I recently transplanted a Detroit Diesel 8V92TA into a GEO Storm. The only problem was a had to tap on one exhaust pipe with a ball-peen hammer to clear the retarder coolant pipe on the Allison transmission. It's a sweet ride now. Enough torque to pull down a CAlifornia redwood. Mmm-Hmmm.
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if the 924 engine fits in the Gremlin, I wonder how easy the 6 cylinder gremlin engines fit in the 924, and if the 924 engine fits in a PAcer, maybe the v-8 in the pacer bolts into the 924 good.

gotbratwurst?  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why?
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'twas a joke my friend
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars, ya know, Caterpillar engines were actually made by John Deer...damned conspirators!
dwak  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick,
You left an 'e' out of John Deere or didn't you want to write a Deere John letter??
I put a Cummins diesel in my 924 but had to put my mother-in-law in the back to keep the balance.
Ciao,
DWAK
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn physics. It's another example of how all things seek balance. Cummins diesel in front = (+ fun), mother-in-law in back = (- fun). You're just breaking even there. Or was that the kind of balance you were talking about?
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, call me crazy(and I'm sure many of have/will), but why would you want diesel in a fun little sports car?
dwak  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've combined my '78 924 with my 471 Detroit diesel/Terex front end loader, I can now move logs around my yard with a certain touch of class.
dwak du bois
Cbass  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still would rather see a torquey, but high revving powerful engine in a 924.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: