Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Beginner needs advise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juha  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm racing in Finnish Endurance Racing-class (3,6 or 12 hour races). I have a 1980 924 (Euro-spec). Motor is 2,0 XK 155 hp with 4-speed tranny. Rear suspension is org, just lowered. In front I have adjustable strud with gas-shock (lowered). Tyres are 15' slicks (205-210mm wide). I need a couple basic hints for good suspension. Thanks.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can give you my setup, at least. Naturally you can do many different things, depending on your preference. I'm using 400# springs up front (coilover conversion with standard 2.5"OD race springs from Carrera) with 30mm torsion bars in the rear. My class does not allow use of coilovers in the rear. I think I would've rather gone for an even larger rear torsion bar, but didn't know they're available (custom order from Paragon Products in Texas). I have the original 23mm swaybar up front, and 19mm adjustable Cup Car bar in the rear. Really like that setup. I have spherical bearings in the a-arms, but will probably just get poly (plastic) bushings on the next racecar I build for the expense.

I still have to do all the solid mounts and poly bushings in the rear yet.

Shocks are still Konis all around, the sport yellows, but not really up to the job, switching to Bilstein race shocks/struts this winter.

I also have the Paragon camber/caster adjustable plates for the top of the struts to replace the stock rubber mount.

I need to add another pair of spacers in the rear of the car to even the track front/rear. Then I probably will need the larger rear torsion bars.

I run 2.75 deg camber up front, 2.5 in the rear, zero toe all around, and as much caster as I can evenly get up front. But I'm running on Hoosier R3S03 road race tires, don't imagine you can get those - which may affect your alignment settings.

For pads I run the KPF Magnum blue race pads, love them.

Hope that helps, as a starter idea. You can see some pics of my suspension on my website, on the Construction page.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: