Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Racing last weekend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John H  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the GT replica to the track on Saturday. Knew things weren’t going to go as well as expected when I found after putting it on a trailer the electric windows stopped working.
Got to the circuit and went out for practice – first time on the track for over 2 years for the car, in fact the most it had run for a few years. I got black flagged after two laps for dumping fuel. I had some gas put in and the dude helping hadn’t put the cap on properly. I normally check this, but after two years I clean forgot to do it.
Anyway out for the serious stuff and found the car would only pull 0.4 bar boost. Did reasonably well could out accelerate a Triumph TR7 V8 in a straight line and a absolutely dicked 5700 litre Camaro. When I came in tried to find why it wasn’t boosting and found a cracked boost line, cut that out and then notice coolant leaking out of the hose at the back of the head. Tightened that up and it seemed to stop leaking.

Went out again and still could only get 0.6 bar boost, and could hear the leaking boost line. Did pretty well this tie faster times than a 928S (5 speeder) a few 911’s (late 80,s units) and sundry other classic cars.

Thought I’d spend the next hour fixing the boost leak so I could really play, but found I still had a coolant leak and now the starter decided it didn’t want to work. So I push started it and drove back onto the trailer.

Was quite happy at how th ecar ran – hadn’t run for 2 years and I expected a few things to fail, what pleased me was that I was within 3 seconds of the lap times I had done two years ago and this was on old tires, no alignment since removing the engine and low boost so I went away a fairly happy person
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, nice to drag the old beast out! Good to see also, as a fellow racer, that the driver's still up to the job, eh?

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
John H  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was good and I was pleased I still remembered how to drive it on the track. First couple of laps I was braking too early and having to get back on the gas.
Has given me th eincentive to start working on the prue race car again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: