Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924S oil pressure problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porsche96  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

I have a few questions. When i first start my 924S the oil pressure is high (4-5) but when the engine reaches its normal temperature the pressure goes down below 1 on gauge and the oil light turns on. This only happens when the engine is idle and RPM is at 750-800. If rpm is at 1000 oil pressure goes to 1 and light turns off. Is the RPM too low for the oil pump to work properly?? I do have normal pressure while driving (2-4), problem is only when idle. What is the normal idle RPM ? Could it be the oil, im using 10w-30

Thank You for your time,

John
gohim  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I run Valvoline 20-50 Racing.

According to the 924S Owner's Manual, 10-30 is only recommended for areas where the maximum outside temperature is 70 degress F, or less. That would probably mean that the oil you are using is too thin.

Where are you, and what is the outside max temp?

You may very well have another problem. I would guess that you are due to replace the oil pressure relief valve. Most of the 924S cars got the older 3-piece part that Porsche recommends replacing with the improved single piece design. I heard that the new part costs around $250-$300.

OF course you could just have a malfunctioning oil pressure sender. I recommend changing your oil, then checking the pressure with an independent oil pressure gauge to verify the operation of you dash instrument, and the replacement of the oil pressure relief valve if the correct operation of the gauge is verified.

Do not continue to drive your car in the condition that you describe. You could do permanent damage to the engine.

[ This Message was edited by: gohim on 2002-10-05 06:57 ]
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mobil 1 15w50. I have had no problems with oil pressure. I asked a Porsche factory technician, and he said that on a car as old as the 924S, you shouldn't use anything less than 15w50. he said to use it year round. so I am gonna do that...I like the way the mobil 1 keeps the engine.

baker87  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 40 weight oil for a while just for temporary use. Gohim was right about the sender. I had the same problem before I rebuilt the engine. I put a new oil pump, sending unit and pickup tube in the engine. THis seemed to fix my problem. Baker87
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: